Whats in your opinion the visually ugliest stadium out there?

Davidellias

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been at the Rose Bowl. The biggest downside to it is that on game days you may end up parking on the golf course or walking from over a mile out to get to the stadium.

I remember going to a UCLA game there in 1998, and it took us more than a hour to get out of there.

Levis.

levis-stadium.jpglevis-stadium-24.jpglevis-stadium-04.jpg

You can see where the nickname originates. What an empty, soulless dump. Perfect for Silicon Valley. ;)

I appreciate a modern design - not every stadium has to be Lambeau Field or the LA Coliseum - but would rather have a sweeping New Soldier Field spaceship than this Tinker Toy monstrosity.

I think Levi's wouldn't be hated so much if it was in a better location, people didn't fry in the sun, and the empty club seats weren't so noticeable.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Whenever the Niners have a home game there, they always show the bridges, Coit Tower, etc. It's just disappointing since they were San Francisco's first team(10 years before the Giants), yet they have no more connection to the city anymore.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

Joe Louis Arena is an architectural turd. Come in from the parking garage side? Stairs! Tons and tons of stairs! Park down the way along the river and use the other entrance? STAIRS!! The rest is plain, flat, grey, blah. No character whatsoever.

thejoe.jpg5749275305_30b3d99a18_z.jpg

Joe Louis Arena is horrible! I can't wait to see the new arena for the Red Wings!
I really wish I could see a Wings game at the Joe before it gets torn down or something. (I don't know if the Wings are just moving or rebuilding over the Joe.) The atmosphere in there must be great! I mean all the Red wings fans will still be great, but my guess is that there's nothing like the Joe...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Paul Brown Stadium. I walked the Cincinnati riverfront (beautiful BTW) during my trip in the summer and the stadium, from the outside at least is very underwhelming. I walked around the entire thing trying to get a shot at something worth taking a picture of, but very hard to even tell it's home of the Bengals.

yeah and it's a shame too because the stadium down the street is so warm and inviting and cozy. You walk through GABP and there's no mistaking who plays there. The concourses are well lit, the team's history is on full display, the concessions are all themed. It's like visiting Baseball Disney. You walk through PBS and it's this damp, lifeless, concrete fall-out shelter. If you're inside and you're not looking at the field there is no evidence the Bengals play there. There's a black and white banners of some past Bengals players, but they haven't been updated in 15 years. The Bengals could do a lot to garner some goodwill with the fanbase if they updated the concourse to add some color and add a statue of Paul "This stadium is named after me" Brown out front. They won't though.

I've never really like the asymmetrical endzone seating either

ArLr_GxCAAERzcB.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

I really wish I could see a Wings game at the Joe before it gets torn down or something. (I don't know if the Wings are just moving or rebuilding over the Joe.) The atmosphere in there must be great! I mean all the Red wings fans will still be great, but my guess is that there's nothing like the Joe...

They're just moving a few blocks away, and I'm guessing the Joe Louis Arena will be torn down to expand Cobo Hall. And Red Wings fans will never be great.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I mentioned earlier in the thread, but when I was in London earlier this year, I was taken aback by White Hart Lane. I'm not a Hotspur fan, so I didn't know what to expect. I wasn't expecting this:

N9PqYpC.jpg

aTADsTm.jpg

This looks like a prison more than anything.

They're just moving a few blocks away, and I'm guessing the Joe Louis Arena will be torn down to expand Cobo Hall. And Red Wings fans will never be great.
+1.

The Joe is nothing special but for a very narrow, single concourse, poor restrooms, a bit of Red Wings and Thomas Hearns history.

It's visually UGLY both inside and outside.

The atmosphere is great. No bad seat in the house and it still gives you an old-school feel. Small, narrow halls, with the bottom of the seats visible overhead. The bathroom urinals are just giant troughs. Sort of akin to Nassau, the fans know it's a dump, but it's their dump.

Also, the bowl-ice area has to be one of the nicest. There`s no mistaking it`s home to the Wings, banners everywhere, red seats. It`s great.

And yes, it's being part of the Cobo expansion. I'm not sure a full demolition is necessary considering they're joined.

Paul Brown Stadium. I walked the Cincinnati riverfront (beautiful BTW) during my trip in the summer and the stadium, from the outside at least is very underwhelming. I walked around the entire thing trying to get a shot at something worth taking a picture of, but very hard to even tell it's home of the Bengals.

yeah and it's a shame too because the stadium down the street is so warm and inviting and cozy. You walk through GABP and there's no mistaking who plays there. The concourses are well lit, the team's history is on full display, the concessions are all themed. It's like visiting Baseball Disney. You walk through PBS and it's this damp, lifeless, concrete fall-out shelter. If you're inside and you're not looking at the field there is no evidence the Bengals play there. There's a black and white banners of some past Bengals players, but they haven't been updated in 15 years. The Bengals could do a lot to garner some goodwill with the fanbase if they updated the concourse to add some color and add a statue of Paul "This stadium is named after me" Brown out front. They won't though.

I've never really like the asymmetrical endzone seating either

ArLr_GxCAAERzcB.jpg

Agreed. GABP was great. Saw the Tigers play the Reds. The whole area, the rose garden with the white rose where Pete Rose's 4000th hit (I think) landed was cool. The concourse between the front gates and the stadium is cool also. Very different stadium. I also hunted down the location of Riverfront Stadium`s first base inside a bar adjacent to the park. I`m a sucker for historical markers.

With the Bengals, considering they have a very distinct brand and color scheme, they could really make their stadium and surrounding area very vibrant. Also, considering they have huge rivalries with every team in their division, and they`re in such close proximity to those teams`cities (meaning opposing fans would travel to Cincinnati), why not make it known that it`s Bengals territory...

sig.png

The atmosphere is great. No bad seat in the house and it still gives you an old-school feel. Small, narrow halls, with the bottom of the seats visible overhead. The bathroom urinals are just giant troughs. Sort of akin to Nassau, the fans know it's a dump, but it's their dump.

Also, the bowl-ice area has to be one of the nicest. There`s no mistaking it`s home to the Wings, banners everywhere, red seats. It`s great.

Now that sounds a place for a Hockey game!!! I live in Minnesota, and I think the X might have some troughs, or maybe that's Mariucci. Definitely an Old Time Hockey feel...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

With the Bengals, considering they have a very distinct brand and color scheme, they could really make their stadium and surrounding area very vibrant.

Vibrancy is definitely missing from that franchise. I was introduced to the Bengals with their 1987 SB run, & thought they had a fun, loose, athletic vibe to them if you will.

Now it seems they've reverted to some Cold War era identity, as if Lovie Smith were some field general who never smiles... or ever gets fired.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

*Lego Stadium is a disaster. Every time someone posts pics of it I tell myself "it'll look OK once they finish it."

It's a shame that we're in this era where so many teams are hitting home runs with their new venues, and there's limitless talented designers out there, and we get... that.

*Paul Brown Stadium looks fine to me, though I've only ever seen the exterior / field on TV and in pics, never the inside. I'm not sure what the bizarre endzone seating adds from a design standpoint, but I think it's pretty cool anyway.

*Lucas Oil Stadium is my pick for 2nd worst new stadium in the NFL (Lego succeeded it this year.)

I hate how the thing looks like a barn and not like a sports arena. Part of what's great about these things is seeing the shape of the grandstands, the scoreboards, and all that other stuff. This thing is just like a big house. I hate how it opens up only over the field, creating weird shadows and it doesn't seem to even come close to the feel of a real outdoor stadium.

I mean I get why they felt they needed a roof (Final 4s, conventions, other junk) and for what they set out to do, it definitely looks like they did a nice job (it definitely looks polished and finished, inside and out), but it just seems so sterile to me. Of course, I've never been there either so take that opinion for what it's worth.

28_aug_08_-_10a.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

From an aesthetic standpoint I like Lucas Oil Stadium because it looks like a "Hoosiers" era Indiana high school basketball gym except on a much grander scale.

My issue with that stadium and how the Colts use it is they have the retractable roof and the windows on the end open, but they choose to keep it closed for most of the season even on days when the weather would be perfectly suited for outdoor football. If they're not going to use it why did they go through the extra expense of making the roof retractable?

Plus, the roof panels that retract could've been made to fold into themselves (or something) so it opens up more. As it is the roof barely opens at all. So again, what's the point of having a retractable roof if even when it's open it doesn't feel open?

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived