Whats in your opinion the visually ugliest stadium out there?

Davidellias

*Lego Stadium is a disaster. Every time someone posts pics of it I tell myself "it'll look OK once they finish it."It's a shame that we're in this era where so many teams are hitting home runs with their new venues, and there's limitless talented designers out there, and we get... that.*Paul Brown Stadium looks fine to me, though I've only ever seen the exterior / field on TV and in pics, never the inside. I'm not sure what the bizarre endzone seating adds from a design standpoint, but I think it's pretty cool anyway.*Lucas Oil Stadium is my pick for 2nd worst new stadium in the NFL (Lego succeeded it this year.)I hate how the thing looks like a barn and not like a sports arena. Part of what's great about these things is seeing the shape of the grandstands, the scoreboards, and all that other stuff. This thing is just like a big house. I hate how it opens up only over the field, creating weird shadows and it doesn't seem to even come close to the feel of a real outdoor stadium.I mean I get why they felt they needed a roof (Final 4s, conventions, other junk) and for what they set out to do, it definitely looks like they did a nice job (it definitely looks polished and finished, inside and out), but it just seems so sterile to me. Of course, I've never been there either so take that opinion for what it's worth.28_aug_08_-_10a.jpg

With a name like "LUCAS OIL STADIUM" I think it looks fine...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mostly hate LOS. The outside I somewhat like the shape and brick, feels Midwestern. But it's so jarring because of its height, it dominates the skyline like no other stadium does.

The inside just sucks. No matter roof opened or closed, it feels like a hanger. And it's true, they never open it. It was shockingly open this past weekend and they nearly put out public service announcements that you needed a jacket. It has no character, plus the pointless participation banners...The whole thing overall feels like a suburban mall or a cheap but clean amusement park.

At least we have The Fieldhouse, Victory Field and even the New Fairgrounds arena where the Fuel play. All three are excellent.

I love the outside of Lucas Oil. I've only seen it in photos and from the freeway driving by, but I really like the look. Height aside, it reminds me of a lot of the older stadiums, where you could almost walk by and think it was a factory or other building, not realizing it was a stadium. Safeco Field is like that.

I agree that the inside looks blah, especially when the roof it closed. I hate indoor football and baseball, and it's maddening when teams (get taxpayers to) spend an extra $100 million or more to add a retractable roof but always keep it closed. If you're going to have one, it should be open every game above 50 degrees when it's not storming.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've seen it up close and thought it looked adequate. Yeah, it's a little derpy as far as football stadiums go, but what's it gonna do, ruin the distinct architectural splendor of Indianapolis?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'll agree that the LA Coliseum could and should be way nicer than it is.

Only venue to host the Olympics, the Super Bowl and the World Series. That's a resume that can go toe to toe against any venue in terms of historical significance.

And yet a place ozzing with that much history has somehow become an after thought and its becuase there's been hardly any money invested into that place over the years. Aside from removing the track the building looks pretty much exactly the same now as it did in World War II.

I would much rather see an NFL team return to the Coliseum than see a new stadium built, but when a stadium has been neglected for as long as the Coliseum has been, I completely understand why a team wouldn't even consider going there. At this point you would almost have to tear down the entire stadium and start from scratch to make it a modern NFL stadium, which is really no different then just buliding a new stadium.

The Coliseum could have been saved, but nobody cared enough to even try and now its too late.

Today, USC announced their preliminary renovation plans for the Coliseum which, if approved by their Regents, will be done before the 2019 season*. Capacity will be reduced to approximately 77,500.

*-anything related to the 2024 Summer Games are not apart of what USC is going to raise/spend.

coliZZ_WEB-600x400_zpsb2frxu1c.jpg

They probably would be better off gutting out the interior, and rebuilding a multi-tiered seating bowl from scratch.

Yeah, like the original plan from years ago:

newaerial.jpg

I think the little roofs (rooflettes?) are dumb, but a design like that would have been greatly preferred for Soldier Field to what they ended up with.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

beaver-stadium-6_display_image.jpg?13293

Never been, obviously, yet Beaver Stadium has to be the ugliest thing on tv. Like a stadium treated with butchered plastic surgery.

As my dad put it, "the world's biggest high school football stadium".

PvO6ZWJ.png

Never been, obviously, yet Beaver Stadium has to be the ugliest thing on tv. Like a stadium treated with butchered plastic surgery.

Not even Oakland's Mount Davis is as brutal.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

If memory serves me, one of the end zone additions had been erected when I made my lone trip in 1990 (or maybe it was 1991). Even then, it looked like a giant erector set (see below, which is it least mostly as I saw it). The most recent additions have helped, but it still looks like it was stitched together like Frankenstein's monster.

Beaver_Stadium_1974__95734_zoom.jpg

That is what happens when you just keep adding pieces as best you can. The link below gives a good idea of the history.

http://onwardstate.com/2015/09/25/beaver-stadium-a-visual-history-through-the-years/

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I've been at the Rose Bowl. The biggest downside to it is that on game days you may end up parking on the golf course or walking from over a mile out to get to the stadium.

I remember going to a UCLA game there in 1998, and it took us more than a hour to get out of there.

It's the same at Stub Hub Center. I was there for Columbus Crew vs Galaxy. Just moving through LA period sucks.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I've been there several times. It isn't great aesthetically but I can't imagine that there are too many other venues that are better to watch a college football game.

Archived