Renewing the Boston Celtics Brand

AAO

Well, I've attempted to rebrand the Celtics. Yes, the unthinkable. Yes, those Celtics. :P:o

Link below for a PDF of the full brand, research, elements, and more collateral, including uniforms, court, tickets and other collateral.

http://issuu.com/ianbakar/docs/2016_celticsconcept_low_5f185fdb617349?e=1212987/30859354

Celts_Primary.png?format=500w

Celts_Dribbble2.png?format=1000w

Celts_Gear.png?format=1000w

The biggest change I would make is to put the celtic knot design around the 1946, as the outside to the edge of the box, rather than have it be a portion of the 'B' and 'C' themselves. Otherwise, the basketball within the shamrock is a nice touch and the white, green, dirty green color palette choice is a solid combination. I would mull it over though and see if you can think of a different design than the roundel though. Not that it's bad, I just think it's overused.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Thanks for the feedback. Alex, I get what you're saying. I also realize that the Celtics were one of the original NBA teams with a roundel logo, so I think it's the best route, even with the influx of roundels as of late. They work, for the most part.

I can't believe I overlooked the 'BC.' This does look way better with just the B, updated in my original post.

This is incredible. Great work. You changed an identity I thought was unchangeable and made it better. Phenomenal.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

No, thank you.

As usual, great work technically, but as a Celtics fan I just don't think it would fly. The Celtics are not just some green team that needs to keep green. They are a green and white only team that needs to keep green and white only. They don't need black on their uniforms, and they don't need gold. Especially when the shades you picked for green and gold visually bleed together. If you go into a Celtics rebrand and change the primary logo other than maybe cutting it down to green and white then I have to think you haven't done your research. I also don't think a celtic knot pattern would work as part of their identity.

Ok, phew, Celtics fan in me is done. Now designer....as I said, the shades are too close together. Darken to true kelly green and it'll work. I love the way you incorporated the celtic knot pattern into the wordmark without just making it an underline. It looks beautiful on that t-shirt. The primary looks like an SB Nation logo Fraser Davidson forgot to send out. Other than that, I just commend you for showing restraint on the uniforms when you didn't show much elsewhere. Good presentation. Sorry if it sounds like I'm ripping, when you connect personally to a brand like this you have strong feelings.

The dirty gold is phenomenal! It really adds a new element to a classic color scheme. My favorite part of the look is the clover with the basketball inside of it. I agree that you should try to work that logo into something other than a roundel, however. Not just because of its heavy use, but because right now that brilliant clover design is rather small and dwarfed by the Celtic knotting and the text roundel (that seems awfully repetitive). If you keep the outer roundel but enlarge the inner clover logo while removing the knotting on the inside I think that would look nice, too. Alternatively, you can remove the text roundel and replace it with the knotting, like your "B" alt. logo. The shadow of the mascot leaning on the "BC" looks great.

Changing a classic look is a daunting challenge and I applaud the effort, which I think paid off. You've come up with some great ideas and design overall.

ICXC NIKA

From a biased Celtics fan standpoint, no thanks. But hey, you gave yourself a nearly impossible task, haha.

From an unbiased standpoint. All the elements are very nice and very well rendered. However, there are some things I have issues with.

The Primary. Simply put, I feel like there are just too many elements fighting for attention. The outer roundel, the Celtic knot, and the shamrock in the middle are all great, but all three together seems a bit much. I'd personally say remove the Celtic knot, as I find that it's got too much detail and muddles up the rest. Then you could increase the size of the shamrock.

The font on the BC logo feels very out of place. The entire logo set is very round. The primary is a circle, the main feature is a four leaf clover, the font on the roundel is rounded the BC has a Celtic knot, which is also used is a roundel, etc. however, the B and C are a block font featuring straight lines with sharp or squared off edges (serifs?). This makes the BC and C stand out from the rest of the set. I'd make them more rounded, like the font in the primary. I'd also attach the Celtic knot to the B and C... It looks a bit awkward just floating.

All in all though, this would be a very good look for the Celtics if they were an expansion team.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Phenomenal work. I think the "established 1946" is unnecessary, especially for an already busy logo. Maybe even try and integrate the name and city into the celtic knot so you can do away with the double roundel (ie full knot pattern on the sides, name and city at top and bottom). I'd also get rid of the celtic knot on the letter B in the alternate logo; it seems too much when paired with the celtic knot trim (which I love).

qtOnrJr.png

Archived