Inaccurate colors/uniforms in video games that should know better

So I don't know if this is wrong per se, I'm honestly just much more curious then anything else because as a new-ish hockey fan, I'm not sure which is right or wrong. But if you've played NHL 23 (and I think it's been the same for a bit), and you look at the Stars uniforms, you see they have their 90s/Edge set, the original North Stars jerseys, and also the Barons and two different Seals jerseys. I could be wrong but from what I know, wouldn't the Seals/Barons jerseys be more in line for the Sharks, given how the Gund family split off from (North) Stars ownership in the early 90s ? Did their share only include some players and not like their history before the Barons merged with the North Stars ? 

Especially with the Sharks this very year leaning into the Seals jerseys, I'm really curious. It is probably just EA assigning jerseys based off of dates on Wikipedia, but who does own the Seals/Barons history ?

Gahhhhh the NHL is so bush league!

I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

• 2 months later...
On 12/20/2021 at 11:21 PM, mcj882000 said:

NHL All-Star Hockey on the Sega Saturn: for some reason, every team in this game wears navy blue pants. Now, obviously the level of "inaccurate" varies from team-to-team. Teams like the Hartford Whalers, who already wear navy blue...
mYuJGu9.png
...it's not so bad. They basically look normal!
For teams like San Jose...
Ak2hBv2.png
...and Calgary...
sfPxKYx.png
...it's kinda bad, but it's still close enough to the black pants they wore IRL that unless you look closely, you might not even notice. 

For teams like the Detroit Red Wings, though...
V999mKR.png
...It just looks awful. Dunno what happened where this was basically the devs' only option, but I can't really imagine any other reason it'd be like this.

Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey for the N64 gave every player a black helmet, regardless of team color or home/away.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 4:03 AM, SailorOfSilence102 said:

So I don't know if this is wrong per se, I'm honestly just much more curious then anything else because as a new-ish hockey fan, I'm not sure which is right or wrong. But if you've played NHL 23 (and I think it's been the same for a bit), and you look at the Stars uniforms, you see they have their 90s/Edge set, the original North Stars jerseys, and also the Barons and two different Seals jerseys. I could be wrong but from what I know, wouldn't the Seals/Barons jerseys be more in line for the Sharks, given how the Gund family split off from (North) Stars ownership in the early 90s ? Did their share only include some players and not like their history before the Barons merged with the North Stars ? 

Especially with the Sharks this very year leaning into the Seals jerseys, I'm really curious. It is probably just EA assigning jerseys based off of dates on Wikipedia, but who does own the Seals/Barons history ?

Gahhhhh the NHL is so bush league!

I'm not sure which is right or wrong. But if you've played NHL 23 (and I think it's been the same for a bit), and you look at the Stars uniforms, you see they have their 90s/Edge set, the original North Stars jerseys, and also the Barons and two different Seals jerseys.

• Seals moved to Cleveland, The Barons faltered, merged with the North Stars. The Cleveland franchise is effectively folded, while players join the North Stars and the Barons' owners become majority owners in Minnesota. 

I could be wrong but from what I know, wouldn't the Seals/Barons jerseys be more in line for the Sharks?

• Probably for the Seals, but there's no actual franchise connection between the Sharks and Seals/Barons. I could make the argument that the Baron are better suited for the Blue Jackets than San Jose. 

given how the Gund family split off from (North) Stars ownership in the early 90s ? Did their share only include some players and not like their history before the Barons merged with the North Stars ? 

• Based on what I've found, the history of the Seals/Barons ended with with the merger in Minnesota. Effectively, the Seals/Barons history appears to have ended like a team that folded and the North Stars continued on as themselves and on to Dallas as the Stars. 

It is probably just EA assigning jerseys based off of dates on Wikipedia, but who does own the Seals/Barons history 

• My guess (given the lack of help from Google) would be Dallas technically owning the history, but obviously have no issue letting San Jose use the Seals. 

This is all based on what I've found from the internet on the subject. Hope it helps any. 

• Like 1

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 3 weeks later...

tew8Kpa.png

This year Ted Lasso has been doing a great job of using actual EPL uniforms and numbers, and even have Mexico's proper 2022 kits. Apparently they couldn't get a deal with Canada because they are all wearing 2021 Nike training kits and no Canada Soccer logos, nor even a basic maple leaf logo. The numbers are basic Nike teamwear as well instead of the bespoke Canada numbers. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

tew8Kpa.png

This year Ted Lasso has been doing a great job of using actual EPL uniforms and numbers, and even have Mexico's proper 2022 kits. Apparently they couldn't get a deal with Canada because they are all wearing 2021 Nike training kits and no Canada Soccer logos, nor even a basic maple leaf logo. The numbers are basic Nike teamwear as well instead of the bespoke Canada numbers. 

I don't know, a basic-looking Nike kit for Canada seems pretty realistic to me (cries in not getting a proper WC kit).

• LOL 3

spacer.pngspacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

https://uni-watch.com/2023/06/08/madden-nfl-24-rollout-plagued-by-slew-of-uni-glitches/

Uni-Watch is calling out a bad Photoshop job, and the wrong pants or uniforms in the early shots for Madden 24. I'm not surprised that Arizona wasn't updated yet. These shots could have been done any time since last year. 

FyB2BybWcAQb-yB.jpeg

They apparently had a different facemask at the shoot and didn't properly trim the bar when fixing it in post. 

Screenshot-2023-06-07-at-6.28.56-PM-1344x632.png

Wrong uniforms, or pants.

Screenshot-2023-06-07-at-6.41.09-PM-1344x1080.png

Screenshot-2023-06-07-at-10.08.50-PM-1344x1759.png

Screenshot-2023-06-07-at-10.59.52-PM-1344x850.png

I'm pretty sure the Vikings pants are just a throwback design being used with the current jersey.

Gannon Goes Off - Vikings vs. Bengals (Week 4, 1992) Classic Highlights -  YouTube

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Madden 2000 had the Eagles with black numbers on their green jerseys (1:33 mark if it doesn't start there)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 6/12/2023 at 5:15 PM, BBTV said:

Madden 2000 had the Eagles with black numbers on their green jerseys (1:33 mark if it doesn't start there)

Speaking of PS1 era, despite Veterans Stadium switching to all blue seats in 1996. Games like MLB until MLB 99 or 2000  depicted the vet with the old yellow, orange, red seats scheme. I know the first Ken Griffey on N64 had the vet with half blue & half red seats for whatever reason. Also some of them depicted the vet still having the other team logos too.

Also, its funny to see how innacurate video games got Citizens Bank Park if they came out in 2004, of course this is probably mainly true for most new stadiums in videogames.
And back to the Phillies, quite a bit video games on their uniforms would be the Phillies wordmark with the underscore the logo used to have (the uniforms only had Phillies without the underscore line)

• Like 2

Yeah the word mark thing annoyed me a lot back when I played games. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 6:28 AM, BadSeed84 said:

I know the first Ken Griffey on N64 had the vet with half blue & half red seats for whatever reason.

It also had Oakland Coliseum still without Mount Davis, even though that renovation had happened two years prior. 
6VGbqbL.pngZHcETuo.png2ksI6TY.png
I guess Angel Studios agreed that the renovation made the place look worse and refused to even acknowledge it. :P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Also with other Ken Griffey games

Ken Griffey Jr Presents 1994:

Reds wear red caps/batting helmets at home instead of the white crown w/red bill worn from 1993-1998.

Also Riverfront Stadium has Blue outfield walls instead of green.

Cookie cutter/multipurpose stadiums have same outfield wall (either blue or green).

The only game to ever have the right design for Mile High Stadium as World Series Baseball on Sega had generic/cookie cutter design.

Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run

Again the Reds wear red caps/helmets at home

Only the Cubs/Dodgers/Yankees/Orioles/Red Sox/Blue Jays/Tigers/White Sox/Indians/Royals/Rangers/Mariners have their outfield exteriors in the game. All other stadiums use generic design of Veterans Stadium from the batter's POV at home plate.

Once the ball is hit out to the outfield all walls are the same only with different colors. Center Field has a tiny wall while Left/Right have giant "Monster" walls.

• 1 month later...

maybe not exactly a sports game, but in WWE SmackDown vs. RAW 2006, the logos on Christian's tights are missing. supposedly this is because he owned the rights to them, and by the time SvR06 came out, he was gone from the company.

spacer.png

• Like 2

53Ocz8U.png

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing a bit of ESPN NFL 2K5 again lately, grinding out Crib achievements and figured I'd search for any jersey inaccuracies, and found surprisingly few that stuck out to me. True to form for the old 2K games, it has a huge collection of retro uniforms, and most are depicted accurately, from what I could tell. There are a few errors to be found, though: 
1CIsSQy.png
-1996 Baltimore Ravens: Using their modern logo instead of the original, of course, because the Ravens & NFL aren't legally allowed to use that logo anymore, but also it's listed as 1995-1996 when the Ravens didn't exist in 1995, and also the number font on the that version is also wrong, as they didn't add drop-shadows to the numbers until 1997. 

D6TKiQp.png
-1994 Green Bay Packers: The away of their throwbacks from that season should have blue numbers instead of yellow. (Yeesh, just when I think these jerseys couldn't worse, Sega went and proved me wrong...) 

Lomgh82.png648YMGD.png
1995-1997 Jacksonville Jaguars: A a mess of issues here; IRL the Jags used a generic block number-font for their first two seasons, 1995 & 1996, and changed to their more well-known stylized font in 1997 which came with black side-panels that only lasted the one season. According to Sega though, they never changed fonts and had the side-panels for two seasons! (Also, the outlines on all of Jacksonville's away jerseys are in the wrong order - they should be teal w/gold & black, not teal w/black & gold.)

For the most part the only real retro jersey errors are in the years they're listed as being worn; there's quite a few of those, far too many to list here, but just as one example... 
Wv0N3iG.png
The Detroit Lions are listed as wearing blue pants on the road in 1999, but in reality they did so in 1998 - Barry Sanders' last season, and the only time the Lions wore blue pants at all until 2017. (I wonder if after Barry retired, the team assumed they were cursed & scrapped them for that reason? 🤔)

• Like 2