2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

On 2016-02-02 at 6:26 PM, B-mer said:

I actually remember reading that logo was originally designed for the Canucks but they didn't use it, so the Giants used it. More or less, if I remember correctly. 

Not true at all. It's the same artist that made the orca bay logo and they tried to make an overture to WHL Johnny Canuck fans but that logo was never intended for the Canucks. The giants logo has a giant G in the background. That obviously doesn't fit with the Vancouver Canucks.

Personally I think it's pretty meh. It really does not invoke the image of the classic WHL skating Johnny Canuck logo or make one nostalgic. And he has a bare arm for Pete's sake. What kind of hockey player wears a sweater with bare arms and a streaming logo on the shoulder? Uh a football player...thats who.

It's a goofy logo and anything but a classic. The fact that the Giants have a lumberjack mascot has zero relevance to the Canucks. The Canucks own the Johnny Canuck brand whether they market it aggressively or not.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, uniformity said:

Not true at all. It's the same artist that made the orca bay logo and they tried to make an overture to WHL Johnny Canuck fans but that logo was never intended for the Canucks. The giants logo has a giant G in the background. That obviously doesn't fit with the Vancouver Canucks.

Personally I think it's pretty meh. It really does not invoke the image of the classic WHL skating Johnny Canuck logo or make one nostalgic. And he has a bare arm for Pete's sake. What kind of hockey player wears a sweater with bare arms and a streaming logo on the shoulder? Uh a football player...thats who.

It's a goofy logo and anything but a classic. The fact that the Giants have a lumberjack mascot has zero relevance to the Canucks. The Canucks own the Johnny Canuck brand whether they market it aggressively or not.

The G easily could have been added later or modified to fit the Giants.  It says at the bottom of this article that the logo he designed for the Canucks ended up being used by the Giants.  That was a missed opportunity in my opinion.  Sadly, I almost think the Orca will never die since the current ownership had a chance to change it during the edge makeover.

5 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I guess I was more wondering if they have something else planned for this look.  Thats a lot of gear/costs for a one off deal.

2016+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+Classic+Pracusa-today-8303911.0.jpg

2016+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+Classic+Pracimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-e7ekLaNAz7p3jFg8WoG

It's all part of looking good and team unity and a little bit of extra sales with more practice jersey options in the pro shop.  When teams pull in the vast amounts of money that they do, they can afford a set of practice jerseys to use a few times. They can always sell them off or auction them for charity later.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

35 minutes ago, hockey week said:

2016+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+Classic+Pracusa-today-8303911.0.jpg

2016+Bridgestone+NHL+Winter+Classic+Pracimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-e7ekLaNAz7p3jFg8WoG

It's all part of looking good and team unity and a little bit of extra sales with more practice jersey options in the pro shop.  When teams pull in the vast amounts of money that they do, they can afford a set of practice jerseys to use a few times. They can always sell them off or auction them for charity later.

Those were all Winter Classics.

What about the Sharks or Ducks when they brought back their inaugural looks?

Looks like the Ducks did not go the full extent of throwback practice gear

DSC_0066141914459_slide.jpg

I prefer what the Canucks did. Practice photos get used on Social Media a lot these days. Makes sense to match all your gear and look like a professional operation at the highest level and not some ragtag bush leaguers. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

26 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I prefer what the Canucks did. Practice photos get used on Social Media a lot these days. Makes sense to match all your gear and look like a professional operation at the highest level and not some ragtag bush leaguers. 

Thats what I mean.

It seems very odd to go full out with the retro gear unless you planned to use it a lot.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

The Ducks should have gone all out and worn these for practice...

cWyTdzs.jpg

14 hours ago, M4One said:

The G easily could have been added later or modified to fit the Giants.  It says at the bottom of this article that the logo he designed for the Canucks ended up being used by the Giants.  That was a missed opportunity in my opinion.  Sadly, I almost think the Orca will never die since the current ownership had a chance to change it during the edge makeover.

During the Edge makeover, the current Canucks ownership didn't own the rights to Johnny Canuck. Now they do. If they really wanted to keep the orca, they would have added green to the logo and not added the "VANCOUVER" or keep the original orca colours. 

It would have been cool if Miller went with a white mask, as an homage to Sean Burke.  The white mask was cool with both the black and white jerseys.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

11 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

During the Edge makeover, the current Canucks ownership didn't own the rights to Johnny Canuck. Now they do. If they really wanted to keep the orca, they would have added green to the logo and not added the "VANCOUVER" or keep the original orca colours. 

Don't know if there's truth behind it, but I remember people in the media suggesting putting Vancouver on the jerseys was about the Olympics and hoping tourists would buy them just for that reason.  Well, it sucks that they only got the rights a year later, since every fan made concept at the time I saw was using either the stick logo or a variation of Johnny Canuck.  Fans seem ready for a chanr.  I know I was.  Still am.  By the way, where did you find out they didn;t have the rights at that time?

10 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It would have been cool if Miller went with a white mask, as an homage to Sean Burke.  The white mask was cool with both the black and white jerseys.

I think you mean Kirk McLean since Burke only wore the 1st Orca jersey.  Those were the days goalies kept their design forever.  Now, they change almost yearly.

McLean_full_061608.jpg

3 hours ago, M4One said:

I think you mean Kirk McLean since Burke only wore the 1st Orca jersey.  Those were the days goalies kept their design forever.  Now, they change almost yearly.

McLean_full_061608.jpg

Indeed - Kirk McLean.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived