2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

5 hours ago, M4One said:

Don't know if there's truth behind it, but I remember people in the media suggesting putting Vancouver on the jerseys was about the Olympics and hoping tourists would buy them just for that reason.  Well, it sucks that they only got the rights a year later, since every fan made concept at the time I saw was using either the stick logo or a variation of Johnny Canuck.  Fans seem ready for a chanr.  I know I was.  Still am.  By the way, where did you find out they didn;t have the rights at that time?

I heard about "the rights to Johnny Canuck" from three Canucks Store staff over the years including recently. Back in 2010, a season-ticket holder also told me the Canucks were limited to what they were allowed to do with JC. Now, they own every single historic Vancouver hockey trademark, including their own updated and NHL-licensed skating JC. 

Look at the current jersey template. The striping is exactly the same as the mid 70's vintage jerseys. Only the green-less collar and Agency font prevent the jersey from being a total vintage rip-off. Otherwise, the Canucks would have come up with a updated/modern template with green/silver added to the block font if they really wanted to keep the orca theme.

Their main purpose for the time being, I believe, in spite of logo trademark rights and all, was to bring back the highly regarded original colours and traditional striping. This should pave the way for any any future logo/uniform change while staying with the blue and green look.

Somewhat similar to the evolution from the yellow/black Flying V to the late 80's yellow/black Skate to the popular white/black Skate.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with the full bodied 'Johnny Canuck' logo is that it doesn't fit with the current and classic striping pattern.  If they were to use it full time, I would prefer them going with a more contemporary striping pattern, maybe even one that used diagonal stripes or template similar to the recent All Star Game uniforms.

2 hours ago, Morgo said:

The problem with the full bodied 'Johnny Canuck' logo is that it doesn't fit with the current and classic striping pattern.  If they were to use it full time, I would prefer them going with a more contemporary striping pattern, maybe even one that used diagonal stripes or template similar to the recent All Star Game uniforms.

I suppose, but the orca looks even worse with the classic striping, so switching to JC wouldn't be too much of an issue there. 

Of course they already have a great logo that fits perfectly with the current home and away striping

Revised-Stick-and-Rink-2008-vancouver-ca

4 hours ago, daniel75 said:

Kings wearing whites at home tonight, strange.

Strange but spectacular. The best looking all California game I have seen in a very, very long time. As much as I like Anaheim's new road jersey, I would be okay with the Ducks dropping it for a white version of their orange jersey, though I think it could use a few tweaks.

On 2/4/2016 at 5:06 AM, M4One said:

Don't know if there's truth behind it, but I remember people in the media suggesting putting Vancouver on the jerseys was about the Olympics and hoping tourists would buy them just for that reason.

Well then, now's the time to take it off and sell a whole new batch of jerseys.

I actually don't mind the Orca, but I've never liked slapping the city name over it.  The Orca is already complicated, and the name pushes the too far.

I do love me some Johnny Canuck, especially once somebody pointed out how much stronger he is if you rotate him 20 degrees so the line of his beard is directly horizontal.

CorrectedCanuck.png

1 hour ago, BrianLion said:

Sabres wore white at home vs Boston last night as well

usa-today-9095780.0.jpg

I guess that the Sabres are really trying to push that silver piping at pit stains are acceptable for a hockey sweater... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

23 hours ago, Morgo said:

20 hours ago, Chromatic said:

I suppose, but the orca looks even worse with the classic striping, so switching to JC wouldn't be too much of an issue there. 

Of course they already have a great logo that fits perfectly with the current home and away striping

Revised-Stick-and-Rink-2008-vancouver-ca

Check out my Canucks logo concepts in the Concepts section. :-)

15 hours ago, KittSmith_95 said:

You wanna know why the "Stick-in-Rink" logo sucks? The logo is supposedly a C. Does it look like a C? Not to me.

But Johnny doesn't look that good either. He's a bit too much for a sweater IMO. Heck, I like Robo-Penguin over Skating Penguin as well.

I dunno, it looks like a C to me. Remember its not supposed to be an overt C like the flames or habs logo. The dominant figure here is the stick in rink, the C is part of the details.

It also works well as a crest.  Aside from the green touching the blue, in the striping, I see nothing wrong with this uniform.  Put these logos on the current "Orca" template and the Canucks vault to at least the top 10...

VpPs5IN.jpg

On 2/5/2016 at 6:02 AM, BrianLion said:

Sabres wore white at home vs Boston last night as well

usa-today-9095780.0.jpg

Boston will wear white at home on Tuesday vs. the Kings who will wear their yellow and forum blue uniforms to celebrate the day the franchise was awarded to Jack Kent Cooke.

On 05/02/2016 at 9:49 PM, Gothamite said:

Well then, now's the time to take it off and sell a whole new batch of jerseys.

I actually don't mind the Orca, but I've never liked slapping the city name over it.  The Orca is already complicated, and the name pushes the too far.

I do love me some Johnny Canuck, especially once somebody pointed out how much stronger he is if you rotate him 20 degrees so the line of his beard is directly horizontal.

CorrectedCanuck.png

To me that's about 2 degrees too far...looks like he's tripping forward lol

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Archived