2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

5 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

no way the panthers look better than the preds, not even close.

I respect your opinion but I take the new Panthers set (with the patch and shoulder numbers switched as stated) all day every day before the Preds. Vertical piping and the fact that it is going though the horizontal stripes plus the weird panels near the shoulders don't work for me and I have never been a fan of the updated logo with the yellow/gold stripe that seems totally out of place. Sorry to think otherwise...

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

preds looked better before they added the pants stripe and the over-yellowfication of the road jersey.

now florida wins that fight without much contest.

There is no universe in which the predators look better than the new Panthers. 

The mix of piping intersecting with horizontal stripes immediately disqualifies them. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, it didn't really look like the animal it was supposed to represent. When you look at them side by side, the old one really shows its age. (The less said about the updated leaping panther, the better; it has that same broad-stroke vector look that the Concepts folder craps out on a daily basis.)

Where's CreamSoda's fix? That shield without the army tab on top (and I guess the FLORIDA version is the primary? not the logo with PANTHERS that appears on the home uniform?) would be top 10.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Preds are a mess.  Although their primary logo has never looked better, the unnecessary piping and panels completely ruin it.

While the Panthers new look is solid, it's still a downgrade from this modern classic.  Perfect colour balance, beautiful crest & secondary logos, and a unique striping pattern that doesn't go too over the top.

ppnX94P.jpg

19 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

That wasn't the point. The point was to make it different, but to also give it a better hommage to the original. It may not be the most popular choice for a logo, but it's still a cool concept.

The illustration style is different. But the basic picture of the new Panthers shield has every element used by the Jaguars shield logo, it's impossible for it to go unnoticed. Down to a similar gold outline. Maybe the reason why the new logo doesn't have fangs as rumored is because of this very reason. Like there's not enough similarities already. Could be a last second change. The prowling panther and the number font are somewhat different, until I saw the full picture, realizing they had to have used inspiration (and lots of it) from their next door football team. Maybe inspiration is a better word to use than ripoff.

I don't know if the goal was to create some kind of intrastate affiliation through similar branding or whether the designers simply didn't look very far when they needed inspiration.

Similar gold outline? The team's accent color is gold, so of course it has a gold outline.

As for the rumors, well, they are rumors for a reason and should be treated as such. The reason the logo doesn't have fangs is because, as the team explained to everyone, they wanted a stately, mature pose that's not overly intimidating and they wanted a shield with arched lettering inspired by the 101st Airborne crest (I believe the owner was a member in the 1970s). I assure you there was no last second change to get rid of any fangs or to deviate from the Jaguars.

I can also assure you that designers look far and deep when researching for these projects. There's no way to half-ass the inspiration phase of creating an identity like this. Keep in mind that there is also a brief involved. If a client asks you for a logo that is inspired by the 101st Airborne crest, chances are you're going to end up with a Panther in a shield as opposed to, say, something that completely misses the brief.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

15 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

i dont think a flag for a logo is a very good idea, at least for the main crest. It's a great shoulder patch though. They should have made the updated leaping panther logo the main crest and gone with a more original striping pattern, even just moving the chest stripe down to the waist would have been enough. 

You mean like 99% of all hockey jersey until the 90s? :-)

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I was roadtripping during the big unveil so just now able to think about these. 

Thoughts:

- I like the full logo package and I love the new leaping Panther tertiary. We'll probably see that on a blue alternate in a few years, but the crests are a secondary logo that belong more on a shoulder patch than front and center as a primary. The primary should be the new leaping panther logo. I don't know what I think about the flag logo. It's okay, but I could take it or leave it.  

- the placement of the numbers above the shoulder patch is weird and I don't like it. It'll take getting used to, but I think everything would've looked better the "normal" way. 

- They went too far with military wankoff and I don't like the idea that the captains and alternates getting extra bars. That's bordering on college football pride stickers. Uniforms should be uniform. 

- I don't mind that the jersey stripes don't use all of the colors or that the chest stripes don't continue on the back. That's a modern approach to a classic design element and allows them to use it without fully ripping off other teams who've done it much longer. When worn as a uniform you'll get the blue from the helmets, gloves, pants, while red and gold will be provided by the jerseys and socks. After the 90's we learned that not every color has to be crammed into every part of the uniform for a color scheme to work together. 

- I think these are an upgrade over the Edge 1.0 and Edge 2.0, but I don't like them better than the originals. 

- the number font works for me. Not overly fussy, not standard block font, colors and outlines are good choices for the jerseys. 

Overall: Solid look and I like it quite a bit. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Think this should have been the primary. Then they move the new primary to the pants logo and make the shoulder patch the SHOULDER patch and take away the captain/panthers/florida script thing going on. 

Panthers.png

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

26 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Think this should have been the primary. Then they move the new primary to the pants logo and make the shoulder patch the SHOULDER patch and take away the captain/panthers/florida script thing going on. 

Panthers.png

really? an angry mascot head and arched text?

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 minute ago, BrandMooreArt said:

really? an angry mascot head and arched text?

I was always a fan of the single head they used to have. Obviously the text wouldn't appear on the jersey, just the head.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

25 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

I was always a fan of the single head they used to have. Obviously the text wouldn't appear on the jersey, just the head.

I think it looks nice a head-only mark. Would make a good circle logo like their old third jersey as well.

Curious question for those of you who don't like the placement of the TV numbers. What would you think of having the TV number inside the stripe so that they are "properly" below the logos, but also allowed the patches to remain on the sleeve, which is undoubtedly the preferred location if they're going to use the captain tags.

7 hours ago, jp1409 said:

I respect your opinion but I take the new Panthers set (with the patch and shoulder numbers switched as stated) all day every day before the Preds. Vertical piping and the fact that it is going though the horizontal stripes plus the weird panels near the shoulders don't work for me and I have never been a fan of the updated logo with the yellow/gold stripe that seems totally out of place. Sorry to think otherwise...

Logo wise i give it to the preds. striping is more unique and better looking for nashville too. Color scheme is pretty close. Even their numbers have more character than the panthers. I wouldn't even put floridas new look in the top 15.

28 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

I think it looks nice a head-only mark. Would make a good circle logo like their old third jersey as well.

Curious question for those of you who don't like the placement of the TV numbers. What would you think of having the TV number inside the stripe so that they are "properly" below the logos, but also allowed the patches to remain on the sleeve, which is undoubtedly the preferred location if they're going to use the captain tags.

i think it might look too cluttered with the numbers in the stripes, plus they may be a little too low on the arm. 

2 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

anything beats ripping off montreal.

Even "ripping off" all the teams who wear or wore two color stripes just like this around the arms, waist and socks (Canucks, Devils, Jets, etc.)?

Montréal don't got no stripe on their white jersey, anyway. :-)

8 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Even "ripping off" all the teams who wear or wore two color stripes just like this around the arms, waist and socks (Canucks, Devils, Jets, etc.)?

Montréal don't got no stripe on their white jersey, anyway. :-)

Basic horizontal stripes aren't owned by anyone, the chest stripe is signature montreal. Please don't be foolish.

Archived