2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well, it didn't really look like the animal it was supposed to represent. When you look at them side by side, the old one really shows its age. (The less said about the updated leaping panther, the better; it has that same broad-stroke vector look that the Concepts folder craps out on a daily basis.)

Where's CreamSoda's fix? That shield without the army tab on top (and I guess the FLORIDA version is the primary? not the logo with PANTHERS that appears on the home uniform?) would be top 10.

What do you mean by "broad-stroke vector look that the Concepts folder craps out on a daily basis?"

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

Basic horizontal stripes aren't owned by anyone, the chest stripe is signature montreal. Please don't be foolish.

I'm not being foolish. I'm pointing out the flaws in your logic. No team "owns" a stripe across the chest of a jersey any more than a team "owns" a stripe along the bottom hem of a jersey. Montréal owns the blue stripe with white trim across the chest of a red jersey, and those specifics make all the difference.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, Rollins Man said:

Basic horizontal stripes aren't owned by anyone, the chest stripe is signature montreal. Please don't be foolish.

The chest stripe is to Montreal what the diagonal wordmark is to the Rangers. It is the signature look for both teams, but they do not "own" it by any means, and there are a number of teams who have incorporated it and created a good, distinct look. Here are just a few teams who have created a unique look with a chest stripe:

umd_princeton3.jpg

1a53c8fae99582e3920962f293d713db_crop_no

2009-RedWings.jpg

xavier_ouellet_blainville_boisbriand_110

0123-ott11a-jersey.png

If the Panthers had used a blue chest stripe on a red jersey, that wrapped all the way around the back, I could understand the "Habs rip-off" argument. The white & gold is distinct enough.

Now that I look at them more I think the best treatment of the sleeve numbers would've been to house them inside the sleeve stripes - blue numbers gold outlines on the red jersey, white with gold outline on the white jersey. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I'm not being foolish. I'm pointing out the flaws in your logic. No team "owns" a stripe across the chest of a jersey any more than a team "owns" a stripe along the bottom hem of a jersey. Montréal owns the blue stripe with white trim across the chest of a red jersey, and those specifics make all the difference.

No team owns a stripe across the chest.

1 hour ago, McCarthy said:

Now that I look at them more I think the best treatment of the sleeve numbers would've been to house them inside the sleeve stripes - blue numbers gold outlines on the red jersey, white with gold outline on the white jersey. 

Do this, with the stripes far enough up the sleeves, and then bump the patches up toward the shoulder? Yeah, that could work. It minimizes the army connection a little more, but that's not necessarily bad.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

4 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think it looks nice a head-only mark. Would make a good circle logo like their old third jersey as well.

Curious question for those of you who don't like the placement of the TV numbers. What would you think of having the TV number inside the stripe so that they are "properly" below the logos, but also allowed the patches to remain on the sleeve, which is undoubtedly the preferred location if they're going to use the captain tags.

Putting them in the stripe would have accomplished two things:

1.  Given us more blue on the red jersey since the numbers would have been blue.

2.  Featured the sleeve patches more since right now they're kind of competing for attention with the neighboring numbers.  Having the numbers encased in the stripe would have provided more visual separation, even if the actual distance apart isn't much different.

I have no problem with the numbers where they are, but I think it might have worked out better to have them in the stripe.

3 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

anything beats ripping off montreal.

I fail to see how any reasonable person can accuse them of ripping off Montreal.  Had the stripe been narrower, gone all the way around, used  blue, then maybe there's a case, but honestly if I just saw this unveiling out of the blue without any of the leaks or any prior knowledge I would certainly not have even made the connection between them and Montreal.  THey way they did their striping is plenty different.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

9 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

They didn't rip off Montreal.

Seriously.

So it's a day later and I re-reviewed everything and I'm even more impressed the second time around.  

Many of us complain when newer teams play "O6 Dress Up".  Well this is a perfect way for a newer team to have a strong / traditional look while not playing dress-up.  It's simultaneously traditional and contemporary, which isn't an easy feat to pull off.  I love that they de-ferocious'd the logo, and it looks way better in the shield than I ever thought it would.

Are there a couple of things that could have been improved?  Sure.  I already commented about what I feel is a color imbalance caused by the trim choices on the numbers.  But taking a second look a day later, I am just blown away by how much I like this update.  When the leaks came out, I thought it was going to be absolutely horrific, but they did a fantastic job with the whole thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is my fix

Florida Panthers Fixed.png

- Added navy cuffs

- Added white border to primary logo

- Chest stripe now goes fully around jersey

- Changed number colors to navy with white border

- Moved shoulder patch to shoulder

- Removed Florida/Panthers script from shoulder logo

- Moved captain's insignia from on top of shoulder logo to the top of the TV Numbers

* Should be noted that I forgot to change to the "FLORIDA" script logo on the away

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

30 minutes ago, TRoyConcepts said:

This is my fix

Florida Panthers Fixed.png

This is exactly why I don't care for Florida's new uniforms. Why the hell didn't they just do this? This looks good - real good. It looks complete. What they went with... it's just not the same.

4 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

1a53c8fae99582e3920962f293d713db_crop_no

This jersey needs to make a comeback. Perfect third for the Blackhawks. Too bad they are hard to find cause I really want to buy one lol.

7 hours ago, Rollins Man said:

Logo wise i give it to the preds. striping is more unique and better looking for nashville too. Color scheme is pretty close. Even their numbers have more character than the panthers. I wouldn't even put floridas new look in the top 15.

I don't have a problen with the fact that you like Nashville set that much but for me, their logo has always been ugly and their striping is pretty much St-Louis old weird piping mess. Florida striping is miles ahead of Nashville mix of interlocking vertical piping and horizontal stripes...

I simply can't take the leaping panther seriously as a major-league logo.  It's cartoon-like ferocity isn't becoming of adults.  Not a bad uniform, but nothing revolutionary either.  If they weren't going to "go back" to their original look, then they needed to go in a totally different direction, which they did to (IMO) a tremendous success.

I like it. There's a few quirks that work better off as just that, quirks that one team has. Wouldn't like to see them become common league wide but each team having its own little distinctive touches is nice. 

I think the Florida flag patch is changed just enough from the real flag not to bother me. I really, really, dislike when teams just use a flag patch as a logo. This does juuuuust enough to to separate itself in my eyes. 

Imo, it's a positive change. My favorite small detail is having the panther logo as the helmet decal. In the past too many teams have resorted to using a wordmark there and that's one trend I'm glad to see seemingly fading out. 

53 minutes ago, twi said:

My favorite small detail is having the panther logo as the helmet decal. In the past too many teams have resorted to using a wordmark there and that's one trend I'm glad to see seemingly fading out. 

Very much disagree! Helmets are the place where wordmarks should be showcased, because they fit right across there and don't really occur elsewhere on the uniforms.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

This jersey needs to make a comeback. Perfect third for the Blackhawks. Too bad they are hard to find cause I really want to buy one lol.

If you want an authentic, Jersey Baron has the Winter Classic and third jersey versions for sale.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 6/4/2016 at 10:43 PM, jp1409 said:

Not as crazy as it sounds... With the switch Around the Horn suggested I'd take these before Washington Edge set, Ottawa click and fill, Buffalo with front numbers, grey and piping, Columbus boring Edge template, Carolina team Canada ripoff, Pittsburgh khaki click and fill, Tampa Maple Wings, Anaheim Edgefied set, San Jose practice jerseys, LA with piping, no hem stripe at home and a boring as hell logo, Nashville with the piping, Minnesota with only a good away jersey, Colorado Edge catastrophe, Arizona not so good update and Calgary dumpster fire. They'd be in the mix between 9th and 15th for me.

Top 8 :

Original six

Edmonton

St-Louis

Then a mix of these guys in no particular order :

Islanders

New Jersey

Vancouver

Philadelphia

Winnipeg

Florida

Dallas

I'll agree to some extent and reinforce my initial post. Original Six, St. Louis, Edmonton, Dallas and Philly easily take the top 10 in no order specifically. New Jersey is a very nice sweater, but no way will I rank this new Panthers design in the top 10. Top 20, now we're talking.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

Archived