2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I don't get the people that think the Flyers need to change their uniforms yet again. Their jerseys are some of the best in the NHL and they have an overall look that is unique from the rest of the league. 

I think anyone saying that the Flyers NEED to change their uniforms again is just one of us finding something to complain about. 

I'm sure there's a solid group of people who prefer the 90s version, and a large group of people who like the current version...and then the 90% of the populace who has no idea that there is a difference between the two. 

All that I've been trying to say is that the best possible Flyers jersey, the fully realized potential of the style, incorporates pieces of both the 70s and 90s sets in a nice balance.

But nobody should be truly unhappy with what the Flyers are currently wearing and jonesing for a change.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Their white/orange arm stripes need a thin black outline.

Do they?  I think the white shoulders on the orange base look great on their own, same with the reverse.  Only things wrong with the current Flyers set are the sleeve numbers that overlap, the non-contrasting 'Captain,' and 'Assistant Captain' letters, and the unnecessary nameplates.

On 6/8/2016 at 5:45 AM, wildwing64 said:

Yup. Hardly any of these work. The new Panther head was specifically designed to fit within the shield, with all these others it basically amounts to "lol it's generic so every team can do it too"

I think a few more of them could work, but the cropping is so half-assed.  I don't know if he was trying to replicate the way the panther is cut off at the neck or what, but it doesn't do any of the logos any favors to only have 77% of them show up inside the shield (Beej being a possible exception).  Look at the Stars and Flyers, for example.  I think there's about 8 or 9 that legitimately work, but almost all of them would become somewhat passable tertiary logos if you shrunk down the logos to the proper size.  Putting things in a shield/roundel is not exactly a new thing.

gzhBBvg.png

Buffalo, Montreal, New York Rangers, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa Bay and Washington don't look too bad in the shield design.I'd say Buffalo, NYR and Tampa are the best

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

This Florida Panthers rebrand is top notch. Some of the best work Reebok has done for the league by far. The logos, the jerseys, everything is really solid. I don't know how anyone can dislike it. The league needs MORE of these kinds of redesigns. All of Florida's logos and jerseys have been a mess since day one, so I am very glad to see them take a step in the right direction. I might have to pick up one of these.

On 6/2/2016 at 6:50 PM, hockey week said:

The flag with the sun reminds me of Taiwan...I wonder if the jerseys are being made there lol

twlarge.gif

It's probably inspired by the 75th Rangers, which was in turn inspired by the emblem of the Republic of China. I'm surprised to see them blatantly using symbols of the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)--even though the NHL in general and Florida in particular have very little reach in China, a design choice like this could create issues in developing the China market. Probably not a big concern at this point, but why limit yourself now.

75th Rangers

2000px-75_Ranger_Regiment_Distinctive_Un

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

4 hours ago, Steve-O said:

The logos, the jerseys, everything is really solid. I don't know how anyone can dislike it.

4 hours ago, Steve-O said:

All of Florida's logos and jerseys have been a mess since day one

Ummm

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

10 hours ago, worcat said:

Buffalo, Montreal, New York Rangers, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa Bay and Washington don't look too bad in the shield design.I'd say Buffalo, NYR and Tampa are the best

to be completely honest, they all look like garbage.

Even Florida's sheild looks a bit lame, but at least it was specifically designed for that purpose so I guess there's that.

Moving on...

Philadelphia could look really good, but they don't. Their template is too light and airy for an identity that is so black and heavy. Needs some more power and weight to the stripes or something.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

11 hours ago, TRoyConcepts said:

Ummm

I can understand from a hockey-traditionalist perspective that people would be put-off by these but from a design stand point, Florida nailed it. Shields aren't strictly a football thing and nor do they have to be. I didn't hear a ton of gripes about when the Thrashers used a shield. Did that look too Euro for everyone? Is it because it's a stripe and shield? I've been waiting for someone to take a stab at a military inspired theme for the NHL and I'm glad Florida did.

Take a look at the original logos primary or alternate for the Panthers and tell me what in there is good design? The panther from the 1993 release looked like it was from 1993. Don't get me wrong, it isn't abysmal by any means but it was way too complicated and the amount of shadowing was ridiculous. Don't even get me started on the secondary logo, which once again has such tiny details for a logo that is almost always displayed at minimal size. The new branding is far superior and I think anyone who views it from the perspective of good design would agree.

15 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Wrong and wrong. It's from their previous alternate logo (Which will be sorely missed. RIP.) :

4117_florida_panthers-alternate-1994.png

Sad! It's up there with these guys now: 

9438_san_jose_sharks-alternate-1999.pngn8ejdktph45ge887gfn2ztbhg.giftwdheefvk2ogw2k2ghja.png4.gif43.png66.png90.png

7se8vupnwfs8hg109drix3ebw.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

16 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Wrong and wrong. It's from their previous alternate logo (Which will be sorely missed. RIP.) :

4117_florida_panthers-alternate-1994.png

It was a great logo for it's time. But it's too 90s to be brought back looking like that.

12 hours ago, Bayne said:

Moving on...

Philadelphia could look really good, but they don't. Their template is too light and airy for an identity that is so black and heavy. Needs some more power and weight to the stripes or something.

I kinda get why you say that, though I'd disagree that their identity is black and heavy.  It may have evolved in to that, but I don't think that was ever the intent.

I think their white jersey has great balance, but their orange, even though overall I like it, does seem "light" since the white shoulder doesn't seem to contrast the orange body as much as the orange shoulder contrasts the white body on the away.

I'm not sure if black shoulder on the orange is the answer though.  Short of "going back" to the '90s look, I"m not sure they can improve what they have.  Putting piping around the sleeve trim won't look good, and full-fledged stripes (like the ribbon that was stitched on to the '90s set) would make the number situation look worse.

The only thing I'd do is make the bottom hem black on both jerseys to eliminate the diaper effect.  Everything else is fine as-is (except the aforementioned black nameplate, which I admit I've warmed up to though I'd scrap it if given the chance.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It actually pisses me off how San Jose has so many nice alternate logos yet they don't use any of them. Their alternate shield logo would look great on their aways over the full shark.

usbnr3E.png     QrRvhzH.png     u0rDbga.png

Archived