2016-17 NHL Uniform and Logo Changes

TheGrimReaper

The Islanders are curious to me because I think they look great, but the blue jerseys are not quite what they wore for their Dynasty years. I don't get why they'd go back to those uniforms and choose to wear the 73-76 jerseys instead of going with exactly what they wore from 80-83.  

The Oilers are just the opposite. They went back to exactly what they were wearing in their heyday, but I'm not sure if they should've. The Penguins are about to make this same mistake. The blue jersey has far too much orange, and easy fix - flip the color order around on the numbers and loose the orange on the sleeves below the stripes. Those jerseys look gross because of the orange numbers with the blue and white outlines and the orange sleeves make no sense, especially when the white uniform doesn't have any color there. Make the numbers white with blue and orange outlines, change the bottom part of the sleeves to blue. Problem solved. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

The Islanders are curious to me because I think they look great, but the blue jerseys are not quite what they wore for their Dynasty years. I don't get why they'd go back to those uniforms and choose to wear the 73-76 jerseys instead of going with exactly what they wore from 80-83.  

The Oilers are just the opposite. They went back to exactly what they were wearing in their heyday, but I'm not sure if they should've. The Penguins are about to make this same mistake. The blue jersey has far too much orange, and easy fix - flip the color order around on the numbers and loose the orange on the sleeves below the stripes. Those jerseys look gross because of the orange numbers with the blue and white outlines and the orange sleeves make no sense, especially when the white uniform doesn't have any color there. Make the numbers white with blue and orange outlines, change the bottom part of the sleeves to blue. Problem solved. 

I agree with the Islanders. I would also replace the white outline with blue on their white jersey crest.

Totally disagree with changing the Oilers, though. The NHL had to get colour back in the game after being in the "dark ages" of the 90s and early 2000s. The Islanders already use white numbers with an orange outline on their blues. The Oilers without orange numbers and shoulder yokes is like the Rangers using white numbers on their blues instead of red.

The Penguins are also doing the right thing by going back to their own version of black and yellow. 

Teams need need to be distinguishable from one another. As long as it's not to the extreme of the 90s era Avalanche, '99 Stars and Thrashers. 

Once again, the Penguins find themselves abandoning their Cup-clinching uniform. Fortunately, it'll be a semi-upgrade. However messy that old white sweater is (with it's Bruins-esque pattern, odd color balance, and weird floating hem stripe), it's still better than Vegas Gold on an Edge click-n-fill template. But it should undergo some changes. Seriously, look at the white sweater they'll probably adopt:

jaromir-jagr-pittsburgh-penguins-vintage

All they have to do to fix it up is to dump the floating yellow stripe, swap the white "stripe" for a black one, replace the thin black stripe with a white one, and leave the yellow intact. Not only does this create a better match with the striping on the sleeves, but it can also be the base for a sock stripe pattern that isn't delightfully Bruins-esque. Besides, they didn't lift the Cup in their Athletic Gold-era white sweaters, so the "they won two Cups in it" argument no longer applies.

Can I also say that I find the Sharks' whole "lighter and faster" argument regarding their decision to abandon hem stripes and shoulder yokes has reached a new level of hilarity, given how they couldn't match the speed of the Penguins (who largely wore "heavier" uniforms with large crests, big stripes, and/or Edge click-n-fill stripes)?

Speaking of the Penguins, how disheartening was it to see them lift the cup in that awful uniform last night.  Ruined the whole the damn thing.

6 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

All they have to do to fix it up is to dump the floating yellow stripe, swap the white "stripe" for a black one, replace the thin back stripe with a white one, and leave the yellow intact. Not only does this better match the striping on the sleeves, but it can also be the base for a sock stripe pattern that isn't delightfully Bruins-esque. Besides, they didn't lift the Cup in their Athletic Gold-era white sweaters, so the "they won two Cups in it" argument no longer applies.

Couldn't have put it better myself.  It's annoying when teams throwback to a good uniform without taking time to tweak it into a great one.  What you are proposing would result in exactly that.

35 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Speaking of the Penguins, how disheartening was it to see them lift the cup in that awful uniform last night.  Ruined the whole the damn thing.

I liked it. If I have to watch those pukes win the cup at least it's on the road in a uniform they're going to change anyways. It was as ideal as that scenario could've been. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Once again, the Penguins find themselves abandoning their Cup-clinching uniform. Fortunately, it'll be a semi-upgrade. However messy that old white sweater is (with it's Bruins-esque pattern, odd color balance, and weird floating hem stripe), it's still better than Vegas Gold on an Edge click-n-fill template. But it should undergo some changes. Seriously, look at the white sweater they'll probably adopt:

jaromir-jagr-pittsburgh-penguins-vintage

All they have to do to fix it up is to dump the floating yellow stripe, swap the white "stripe" for a black one, replace the thin black stripe with a white one, and leave the yellow intact. Not only does this create a better match with the striping on the sleeves, but it can also be the base for a sock stripe pattern that isn't delightfully Bruins-esque. Besides, they didn't lift the Cup in their Athletic Gold-era white sweaters, so the "they won two Cups in it" argument no longer applies.

Can I also say that I find the Sharks' whole "lighter and faster" argument regarding their decision to abandon hem stripes and shoulder yokes has reached a new level of hilarity, given how they couldn't match the speed of the Penguins (who largely wore "heavier" uniforms with large crests, big stripes, and/or Edge click-n-fill stripes)?

Interestingly enough, the Penguins actually fixed the hem stripes on the robo penguin jersey.

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

Wish they would go back to that set.  Beautiful sweater and logo.

Not sold on the logo at all, but replacing the skating penguins on insttead, and i think it is the ideal Penguins white jersey.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

A color swapped version of the original Vegas gold set would be the ideal uniform.   I wouldn't mind seeing a PITTSBURGH alt either. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

Here's a rough Photoshop job of my ideal era mashup:

Penguins_zpslhrbhl6j.png

I've always said this would be the perfect white Penguins jersey. Attractive, consistent striping, and pays tribute to two different (and successful) eras of Pittsburgh hockey.

The problem with the Penguins retros is mainly the overly large waist stripe that takes up too much space...

pittsburgh-penguins-05022016.jpg

There needs to be a better color and striping balance.

Keep the same template, but make some tweaks so certain parts don't stick out like sore thumbs.

6 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

As far as I heard, only the Pittsburgh Gold logo has been confirmed... The sweaters have not...

The Championship hats used the old gold logo. There has to be a change coming, you don't put just a third jersey logo on the championship hat, which didn't even match what they were wearing that game.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Just now, hockey week said:

The Championship hats used the old gold logo. There has to be a change coming, you don't put just a third jersey logo on the championship hat, which didn't even match what they were wearing that game.

Well it's still only the logo, and what I mean is that they'll be for sure wearing Pittsburgh Gold next year, but the uniforms may not necessarily be direct throwbacks... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived