2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs Uniforms

Mr. Krabs

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

That's more or less bad team branding, but by no means are the Lightning's sweaters eyesores... (Unlike the Pittsburgh Road jersey)

you're right, they are not eyesores, they are more like eyebores

;):D

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

The jersey have terrible chest, it´s not a big twill logo like they had from the start, 

take a good zoom look at this, the blue is just some twill sewn onto the jersey , all the white is just the jersey fabric.......to reduce weight, right ? 

http://auction.nhl.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=1046388

Now take a look at what a real hockey crest looks like, big , bold, and several embroidered layers.

4e92491c715ca66424381069158a88ab.jpg

This was a great uniform.

Lighten up the blue a little bit, and make the blue stripes at the end of the sleeves a little bit wider, and you end up with something that could have stood the test of time for the lightning. 

What an interesting time for NHL jerseys, right around the turn of the century. The Kings were in more of a Purple phase, and the Stars were moving on towards Green after both teams had been a black/white aethetic for much of the 90s. SO you'd think that the Lightning could have really owned their mostly black/white look, however, the Sabres and Capitals, two teams with traditionally colorful looks, had both recently phased in more drab looks with black road uniforms.

The only thing that bothered me about TB was that the Lightnings white shoulder yokes on the black jersey sometimes made it hard to tell the difference between them and a team with a white jersey and dark shoulders. I was mostly watching locally televised Thrashers games at the time on non-HD tv sets, obviously, so the Thrashers white jerseys with dark blue shoulders sometimes looked kind of similar to the Lightning for those in-division games

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Now take a look at what a real hockey crest looks like, big , bold, and several embroidered layers.

That's laughable logic. A hockey crest can be whatever the team wants it to be. You can argue day and night about whether, as chcarlson23 opined, the Lightning has a good team brand, but to say that the jersey crest has to have big, thick, clunky embroidery is absurd. Sure, there are teams that do that and it looks great. Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, they all look timeless. But it's by no means required.

As others have pointed out, the Lightning jerseys are somewhat bland, and yeah, it's disappointing they mostly copied other teams in their designs, but the teams they copied are regarded as some of the top-dressed teams in the league. Boring? Sure. Ugly? Get out of here.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

18 minutes ago, elliott said:

This was a great uniform.

Lighten up the blue a little bit, and make the blue stripes at the end of the sleeves a little bit wider, and you end up with something that could have stood the test of time for the lightning. 

What an interesting time for NHL jerseys, right around the turn of the century. The Kings were in more of a Purple phase, and the Stars were moving on towards Green after both teams had been a black/white aethetic for much of the 90s. SO you'd think that the Lightning could have really owned their mostly black/white look, however, the Sabres and Capitals, two teams with traditionally colorful looks, had both recently phased in more drab looks with black road uniforms.

The only thing that bothered me about TB was that the Lightnings white shoulder yokes on the black jersey sometimes made it hard to tell the difference between them and a team with a white jersey and dark shoulders. I was mostly watching locally televised Thrashers games at the time on non-HD tv sets, obviously, so the Thrashers white jerseys with dark blue shoulders sometimes looked kind of similar to the Lightning for those in-division games

Right, we must also remember the wicked name and number font Tampa used in their first couple of seasons, just :censored:ing amazing imo

b85b68fac85bdb46356eb8d773652f18_6.jpg14291.jpg

The numbers have been ripped and torn by lightning, you won't find many people today with such a good imagination as the guys who came up with the idea to use that number font.

Funny how some of you like the original, it wasn't long ago when they were universally loathed. I think it's more nostalgia than aesthetic preference. By all accounts the new logo is a far better design.

13 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Funny how some of you like the original, it wasn't long ago when they were universally loathed. I think it's more nostalgia than aesthetic preference. By all accounts the new logo is a far better design.

It went from "MS Word Clip Art" to "Lightning Bolt That Looks Like a Ripoff of Every Other Lightning Bolt Logo, But is Slightly Different Than All of Them"

Integrating some black into the uniforms, maybe from the stripe down, and adding a white yoke, and it might've been a widely beloved look. Currently they look just a little too much like the Leafs from afar, and that could've been avoided in a few dozen ways

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

MS clipart logo or not, the best thing the Lightning had going for them was their unique colour scheme.  Black, Blue and Silver looks unique, striking, and fits the team's namesake perfectly.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

MS clipart logo or not, the best thing the Lightning had going for them was their unique colour scheme.  Black, Blue and Silver looks unique, striking, and fits the team's namesake perfectly.

With few exceptions, I disagree. The black and blue are too dark, there isn't enough contrast between them, so they muddle together if not separated by white or silver.

79106329-andre-roy-of-the-tampa-bay-ligh

50967741-left-wing-dave-andreychuk-of-th

Their first jerseys were just one step less generic than their current uniforms, and blue was sorely underused in that first set. It's hard to get more generic than a single stripe on hem and sleeves like they have now.

There a few dozen ways they could do something a little more flashy, a little more interesting, something worthy of the name "Lightning". I don't think they've really accomplished that yet.

10 minutes ago, hockey week said:

There a few dozen ways they could do something a little more flashy, a little more interesting, something worthy of the name "Lightning". I don't think they've really accomplished that yet.

Here are a few that I can rattle out, off the top of my head:

-lightning bolts that form a cuff-to-cuff yoke, with a normal hem stripe

-a stripe pattern of four or five stripes that descend from white to black (on a blue sweater), white to light blue (on a black sweater), or light blue to black (on a white sweater), creating a pretend gradient - lightning bolt stripe only on pants

-jagged angular striping on the sweater

-the alternate from this concept Morgo made

-more silver throughout the original template, with a light blue replacing the dark royal blue

...the list goes on.

11 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Here are a few that I can rattle out, off the top of my head:

-lightning bolts that form a cuff-to-cuff yoke, with a normal hem stripe

-a stripe pattern of four or five stripes that descend from white to black (on a blue sweater), white to light blue (on a black sweater), or light blue to black (on a white sweater), creating a pretend gradient - lightning bolt stripe only on pants

-jagged angular striping on the sweater

-the alternate from this concept Morgo made

-more silver throughout the original template, with a light blue replacing the dark royal blue

...the list goes on.

I think my personal favorite so far is @OhioSportsMan61's concept. I think you could integrate some black into that, maybe look like the Wild's original template (or at least the 70s Leafs with the shoulder stripe), make the bolts silver, and get a truly perfect look for them going forward. But what he did in the context of his series worked out really well.

TBhf2_zpsw9jur1z8.png

TBrf2_zpsxxobfsyy.png

With Pittsburgh making the Finals this year, it's too bad St. Louis didn't make it. St. Louis vs. the Penguins in Pittsburgh with their retro jersey would have been one hell of an amazing uniform matchup. 

10 hours ago, elliott said:

e Thrashers white jerseys with dark blue shoulders sometimes looked kind of similar to the Lightning for those in-division games

4e92491c715ca66424381069158a88ab.jpg

Looks like  1970s concert t shirt logo.

It's trying too hard to look cool while being basic.

It reminds me of the BeeGee's,Staying alive and Xanadu  

9 hours ago, Thomas said:

Right, we must also remember the wicked name and number font Tampa used in their first couple of seasons, just :censored:ing amazing imo

b85b68fac85bdb46356eb8d773652f18_6.jpg14291.jpg

The numbers have been ripped and torn by lightning, you won't find many people today with such a good imagination as the guys who came up with the idea to use that number font.

You could say the numbers look like bones. They belong on the Bucs jersey.

Just sharpen the corners/turns a little

9 hours ago, insert name said:

I think the team store gave us the answer as to where the patch will be.

thumb.jpg

God, this just looks... so... wrong...

Yuck.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

10 hours ago, Matito said:

That's laughable logic. A hockey crest can be whatever the team wants it to be. You can argue day and night about whether, as chcarlson23 opined, the Lightning has a good team brand, but to say that the jersey crest has to have big, thick, clunky embroidery is absurd. Sure, there are teams that do that and it looks great. Chicago, Detroit, Montreal, they all look timeless. But it's by no means required.

As others have pointed out, the Lightning jerseys are somewhat bland, and yeah, it's disappointing they mostly copied other teams in their designs, but the teams they copied are regarded as some of the top-dressed teams in the league. Boring? Sure. Ugly? Get out of here.

A flimsy "crest" as Tampa uses looks cheap, like an iron on logo. Looks like the numbers they use on euro soccer jerseys.  The kind of stuff they do at your local sports store when you kid want his name on a soccer jersey

Hockey is not normally my thing but I just came in here to say the Penguins are a mess. Vegas gold away uniform, throwback at home, usage of throwback logo on all merch/graphics. If they win the Cup then they will have done so not even using their actual logo. Bizarre.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived