2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs Uniforms

Mr. Krabs

23 minutes ago, Ark said:

They made the right choice.

jaromir_jagr_reaches_out_to_penguins_spe

This is such a good uniform.

They should have had both ! B) They are both great in their own way. Ah yes, the 90´ , where there was too many great NHL jerseys to choose from. Even the designs that ended in the trashcan would put the jerseys of today to shame.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Thomas said:

They should have had both ! B) They are both great in their own way. Ah yes, the 90´ , where there was too many great NHL jerseys to choose from. Even the designs that ended in the trashcan would put the jerseys of today to shame.

This, with the current skating Penguin on the shoulders (black and yellow not black and gold) would be an awesome 3rd for next season. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I have to admit...as much as I'm not a fan of San Jose's uniforms and vastly prefer the 90's set over what they wear now, STL/SJ is a really visually appealing matchup as far as colors are concerned. Double-blue and gold vs. teal and black looks really good. I think it'll look even better when the series shifts to San Jose and it gets more teal heavy.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I have to admit...as much as I'm not a fan of San Jose's uniforms and vastly prefer the 90's set over what they wear now, STL/SJ is a really visually appealing matchup as far as colors are concerned. Double-blue and gold vs. teal and black looks really good. I think it'll look even better when the series shifts to San Jose and it gets more teal heavy.

I don't think its a particularly good uniform matchup at all. Not like the Penguins and TB, specifically at Pittsburgh. That has a beautiful sharp contrast which the SJ STL series does not. I think the SJ home games will be a bit nicer to look at though.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

19 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

I've always wondered where they would've put the Stanley Cup Finals patch if they had made it when they wore this.

Same place the Sharks will :P...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

20 hours ago, Walter Sobchak said:

I've always wondered where they would've put the Stanley Cup Finals patch if they had made it when they wore this.

It will be the same as these for the Sharks and all similar jerseys, I'm sure. It only looked awkward for 3 people. Most fans didn't even notice

126447-004-BDD620E5.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

The Sharks jerseys are going to be a mess if they make the Final. Captain's patch, Finals patch, and 25th anniversary patch assuming they keep that there. At least they don't also have the front numbers anymore, or those super heavy hemstripes weighing them down.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

14 minutes ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I still dont get why they had the jersey numbers in the upper right of the sweater at one point. So redundant and wildly unpopular. It just seemed like a random dumb place to put uni number.

It (and the scooped hemline) are the only remaining vestiges of the original idea for the Edge uniform system. Originally the sweaters would be tucked in, tighter, and feature front numbers, in addition to numbers on the pants.

The tucked in idea, and the pants numbers idea, both died before they could be realized. The front numbers hung around. Mostly because it seems like a few teams that went with them during the initial Edge roll-out just can't be bothered to change them.

32 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It (and the scooped hemline) are the only remaining vestiges of the original idea for the Edge uniform system. Originally the sweaters would be tucked in, tighter, and feature front numbers, in addition to numbers on the pants.

The tucked in idea, and the pants numbers idea, both died before they could be realized. The front numbers hung around. Mostly because it seems like a few teams that went with them during the initial Edge roll-out just can't be bothered to change them.

Add piping to that list since it was never used on the pre 2007, 6500, jerseys.  The Flames and Sabres inexplicably use it in the worst way possible; ending randomly for no reason all.  The other two holdouts are Nashville and Colorado, the latter of which holds the current honour of worst dressed franchise.  Also add the separate panel for the Reebok logo, aka "The Reebox," still used by the Avalanche (of course) and just disposed by the Panthers.

18 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The Sharks jerseys are going to be a mess if they make the Final. Captain's patch, Finals patch, and 25th anniversary patch assuming they keep that there. At least they don't also have the front numbers anymore, or those super heavy hemstripes weighing them down.

I believe there was a team that had the cup patch sewn over a anniversary patch, 

edit, found it:  A 1992 Stanley Cup patch was sewn on a separate piece of material and covered over NHL’s 75th Anniversary logo later that season.

http://pittsburghhockey.net/penguins/uniforms-overview/commemorative-patches/1991-92-badger-bob-johnson-memorial-patch

anyone know if other teams also have done this ?

I think the Penguins throwbacks are beautiful especially now having HD to make the yellow pop. I just can't get over the Sharks(well, Reebok) removing the striping on the jerseys they have now. They would be one of the best looks in the league if they had the 2007 version sans the front number. I guess that extra weight has prevented them from getting to the finals but it didn't seem to bother the Blackhawks(who probably have the heaviest jerseys in the league).

On 5/18/2016 at 8:38 PM, Ice_Cap said:

Based on what Dallas was wearing and those awful Thrashers thirds, I think the front numbers were an effort to force out blank jerseys. In football, you can't get a jersey without a player on it (unless you REALLY try) so you have to 1) pay more for the custom numbers and 2) when that player leaves, your jersey is visibly out of date, and you're encouraged to get a new one.

Blank jerseys don't have that issue, and in the NHL, they still look really good even without numbers and names on them. 

Front numbers, or more importantly, the absence of them, makes it look like a vastly inferior product, so you have to pony up and get the player on it...and if RBK had their way, that might've been the only way to get it at all.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F51Zzh7KR1FL._SY355_.jpg2008AllStarJerseys.jpg

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

1 hour ago, elliott said:

Wow. hadn't looked at it in a while, but you could make an argument that the thrashers jersey seen there is the worst uniform in NHL history.

The wordmark is crap, but that was really the only bad thing about the uniform. Stick a logo there and you have a decent modern design.

15 hours ago, hockey week said:

Based on what Dallas was wearing and those awful Thrashers thirds, I think the front numbers were an effort to force out blank jerseys.

$_35.JPG?set_id=880000500F51Zzh7KR1FL._SY355_.jpg2008AllStarJerseys.jpg

You might be right on the money there. I remember a couple of years back, the NHL.com shop seemingly didn't have any blank jerseys at all. You could only buy the player jerseys and blank just wasn't an option. Maybe the NHL was trialing the idea of forcing people to buy player jerseys, but everywhere else was still doing blanks.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

The wordmark is crap, but that was really the only bad thing about the uniform. Stick a logo there and you have a decent modern design.

You might be right on the money there. I remember a couple of years back, the NHL.com shop seemingly didn't have any blank jerseys at all. You could only buy the player jerseys and blank just wasn't an option. Maybe the NHL was trialing the idea of forcing people to buy player jerseys, but everywhere else was still doing blanks.

Maybe it would have been a little better, but the socks were awful, and the whole piping and side panels were worse that the Avs...  

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived