2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs Uniforms

Mr. Krabs

Just last night, it struck me as ironic that the Lightning designed their uniforms to be simple and iconic... but they cluttered up the front with that wordmark over their logo.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Just last night, it struck me as ironic that the Lightning designed their uniforms to be simple and iconic... but they cluttered up the front with that wordmark over their logo.

:wacko: Please tell us what's iconic about it ! ?

A classic jersey that became a victim of the EDGE redesigns all those years back.

50937278_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

The current jerseys are fine but they are nothing but a Maple Leafs jersey with a Lightning logo slapped on it and one less stripe on the arms. There's nothing unique about it.

452506295_slide.jpg

XM4KeeA.png

I think the more "casual fan" enjoys the simplicity of the Lightning's uniforms, and even maybe the Hurricanes uniforms to some extent, both uniforms that i personally abhor. A lot of us on this board tear apart teams that do this original-6-dress-up thing, but i don't think the casual fan cares at all.

I was talking to my roommate about this the other day, who watches a decent bit of hockey and pretty much said, "don't you think the Lightning have some of the best uniforms in the league"? I proceeded to give him all of the reasons why I thought that they DIDNT have good uniforms, in fact i'd rank them in the bottom-10 of the league, right around 20. i cited how they are original 6 ripoffs, how they just look like the Leafs, how they should have more black, and how the logo from the previous Edge set was far more fitting for a modern team ... afterwards, i think he agreed with those points, but he also didn't know what to say, haha, like: this guy has way too much time on his hands to think this much about uniforms.....

The point is. we are uniform nerds and in general, it seems like the majority of this board doesn't like what the lightning have done (obviously it's an opinion and is subjective, but i'm just going off of what i've observed). To the normal hockey fan, they are just simple , inoffensive, clean unis, and are probably held in a higher esteem

I'd be more interested to know how popular they are among the Lightning fanbase.

2 hours ago, insert name said:

A classic jersey that became a victim of the EDGE redesigns all those years back.

50937278_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

The current jerseys are fine but they are nothing but a Maple Leafs jersey with a Lightning logo slapped on it and one less stripe on the arms. There's nothing unique about it.

These were/are great, could you imagine how cool a blue version of this jersey would be !

By the way, Ruslan Fedotenko, can´t believe he is 37 years old now, 10 years ago he looked like he was 15 ! I guess leaky nuclear power plants are good for something.

B)

If you don't like the original and Edge crests' text, this would've been a fine crest for Tampa Bay:

n8ejdktph45ge887gfn2ztbhg.gif

Use a lighter blue shade (i.e. the original blue shade the Lightning used), and you'd have an excellent starting point for a modernized identity. Simply use the striping from the 2004 set, and you'd be set for a while. 

Not looking good now, a SJ- Tampa final would be a slap in the face of NHL jersey lovers. Their white jerseys look like plain t-shirts with just a tad of blue/teal slapped on. Not something you can charge fans $300+  for.

A cup banner with either flash gordon or a cartoon shark on it is nightmare fuel as well.

15 hours ago, Thomas said:

Not looking good now, a SJ- Tampa final would be a slap in the face of NHL jersey lovers. Their white jerseys look like plain t-shirts with just a tad of blue/teal slapped on. Not something you can charge fans $300+  for.

A cup banner with either flash gordon or a cartoon shark on it is nightmare fuel as well.

nah, maybe not a perfect match up, but they'd look great IMO. 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, Thomas said:

These were/are great, could you imagine how cool a blue version of this jersey would be !

By the way, Ruslan Fedotenko, can´t believe he is 37 years old now, 10 years ago he looked like he was 15 ! I guess leaky nuclear power plants are good for something.

B)

I kinda wish our black alt was a modern twist on the cup sweaters...

On 23/05/2016 at 4:51 AM, SFGiants58 said:

If you don't like the original and Edge crests' text, this would've been a fine crest for Tampa Bay:

n8ejdktph45ge887gfn2ztbhg.gif

Use a lighter blue shade (i.e. the original blue shade the Lightning used), and you'd have an excellent starting point for a modernized identity. Simply use the striping from the 2004 set, and you'd be set for a while. 

I could get on board with that

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

It irks me to no end when people say the Lightning have bad jerseys. They don't! They're nice, simple, well designed jerseys, and they're worlds better than their first two sets. Now yes, it is cheap and lazy that they're pretty much a Detroit/Toronto love child, but that doesn't mean the jerseys themselves are bad. In a vacuum, it's a good uniform 

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

5 hours ago, FGM13 said:

It irks me to no end when people say the Lightning have bad jerseys. They don't! They're nice, simple, well designed jerseys, and they're worlds better than their first two sets. Now yes, it is cheap and lazy that they're pretty much a Detroit/Toronto love child, but that doesn't mean the jerseys themselves are bad. In a vacuum, it's a good uniform 

The jersey have a terrible crest, it´s not a big twill logo like they had from the start, 

take a good zoom look at this, the blue is just some twill sewn onto the jersey , all the white in the logo is just the jersey fabric.......to reduce weight, right ? 

http://auction.nhl.com/iSynApp/auctionDisplay.action?auctionId=1046388

Now take a look at what a real hockey crest looks like, big , bold, and several embroidered layers.

4e92491c715ca66424381069158a88ab.jpg

3 hours ago, FGM13 said:

They're bland, character-less and derivative.  The logos are completely devoid of excitement, especially for a name like the "Lightning," the road script looks tacked on, and the numbers & pants feature a colour not found anywhere else on the uniform.  To me, that's a bad uniform.

1 hour ago, Morgo said:

They're bland, character-less and derivative.  The logos are completely devoid of excitement, especially for a name like the "Lightning," the road script looks tacked on, and the numbers & pants feature a colour not found anywhere else on the uniform.  To me, that's a bad uniform.

That's more or less bad team branding, but by no means are the Lightning's sweaters eyesores... (Unlike the Pittsburgh Road jersey)

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived