Beginning of the End: NBA owners approve ads on uniforms

CS85

4 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Well, they said they would sell ad space...it doesn't necessarily mean a corporate sponsor. It could be ad space for the public school system, the local library, art museum, or....social cause....; )

I highly doubt the public school system that has a hard time getting textbooks for kids in the inner cities can afford ad space on an NBA jersey. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm anti uniform ads as much as anyone here...but if the influx of revenue from the ads prevent a work stoppage then I don't mind.

And plus Ballmer..and the Miami Heat design firm already ruined my team's aesthetic appeal

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

47 minutes ago, uuh70 said:

I'm anti uniform ads as much as anyone here...but if the influx of revenue from the ads prevent a work stoppage then I don't mind.

It won't. Nothing will. Nobody has a specific number target in mind for their side; they each want a bigger percentage. They will fight over $10B as much as they would fight over $1B.

5 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Interesting point. European soccer clubs will do this as well. They may have a sponsor for regular season games and a different one for tournaments. 

Also, wouldn't national games be worth a lot more than local games?  Maybe the local health insurer would pay to sponsor the jersey, but their advertisement means little outside of the home area, whereas national exposure could mean a whole lot to some other company.

You're eventually going to get to the point where iconic moments, even within the same playoff run, occur with the same player wearing different jersey patches.  So one amazing shot of MJ might have had him in a Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield patch, and then the iconic shot of him from the very next night could have him in a AT&T or McDonalds patch.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

It won't. Nothing will. Nobody has a specific number target in mind for their side; they each want a bigger percentage. They will fight over $10B as much as they would fight over $1B.

Oh trust me I fully understand that this is analogous to a Billionaires fighting Billionaires argument but in when your team has the worst identity in the league, you wouldn't mind seeing bimbo or coca cola replace that ugly script..However with regards to advertisements in sports it was only a matter of time before we saw them on uniforms 

Spoiler

Ce_TVT9VIAAUrO3.jpg

CRIMNz7U8AI_VrI.jpg

blue-jays-tv-network-shows-us-the-future

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

This has bummed me out all weekend after hearing about it.  Ugh, and I haven't been an NBA fan since the 90's Bulls.  I just have a bad feeling this will bleed into the other sports without hesitation.

6oq4fhs.gif2wp8bci.gif

3e7148f5-799f-4b32-b700-9f45eab0ac3c_zps

Blackhawks | Cubs | Maple Leafs | Bears

On 4/17/2016 at 6:46 PM, Sk2k said:

Adam Silver literally said its not a big deal because americans are used to european soccer getting popular stateside, ******ing nonsense to be honest

and we'll still have commercials, ticket prices wont go down and merchandise will still cost more money

You know, I've changed my mind.  Let's get some pro/rel going on with the "D League".  I mean if we're doing stupid things because Americans are used to European soccer...

/Then the NBA will get a commissioner who isn't an idiot and who is totally going to end up losing the next lockout.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

5 hours ago, uuh70 said:

And plus Ballmer..and the Miami Heat design firm already ruined my team's aesthetic appeal

Spoiler: It won't.

/But the owners will still cry poverty, though.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

6 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

I highly doubt the public school system that has a hard time getting textbooks for kids in the inner cities can afford ad space on an NBA jersey. 

Don't worry, it will be the charter schools that buy the ads.  They are basically swimming in VC AND Public cash that goes to the students straight to the executives.

Today, we are all otaku.

6 hours ago, uuh70 said:

if anything this will make a work stoppage more likely 

11 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Again, we'll just have to wait and see what these things actually look like before we start sitting in our car with the windows down and the car running in our closed garage.

Oh i already tried that with no avail . Damn Tesla

6 hours ago, Raysfan12 said:

Here is some potential sponsorship choices for the NBA teams:

76ers: Lincoln Financial, Comcast

Bucks: Miller (closest thing to a company in MIlwaukee).

Magic: Disney, Amway

76ers: Lincoln Memorial,

team is dead anyway.

So is the soul of the league by the way

I'd love for adidas to buy the space opposite the swoosh. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If jersey sales drop then the NBA will just take the ads of jerseys sold to fans. 

In order for jersey sales really to drop. Fans need to not buy jersey because they have ads and then if they take them off the retail versions not buy them because it's not whats being worn on the court so that the NBA loses either way. If that makes sense.

15 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

True....but the NBA has had certain promotions with regarding getting kids to read so there is the "possibility" for certain ad space on jerseys for libraries sponsored by the NBA. Not to mention the "possibility" of corporations sponsoring ads of said schools.

20 hours ago, Viola73 said:

Again, we'll just have to wait and see what these things actually look like before we start sitting in our car with the windows down and the car running in our closed garage.

We already know they'll look bad. Even if they're done tastefully they'll look worse than not having them.

Here's a visual:

With ad

StephAd.thumb.png.dc37c30e217e1ca569b80a

Without

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

True....but the NBA has had certain promotions with regarding getting kids to read so there is the "possibility" for certain ad space on jerseys for libraries sponsored by the NBA. Not to mention the "possibility" of corporations sponsoring ads of said schools.

There is also the mathematical possibility of the Knicks & Nets playing each other in the Eastern Conference finals next year but that doesn't mean its something that should be banked on. 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

3 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd love for adidas to buy the space opposite the swoosh. 

Dude.....post a trigger alert before posting something like that.....the Creamer Queasies are already looking at bridges to jump off.

But, since we are here, might as well go all the way. I was thinking about where this might go if this takes off and becomes a HUGE success. My thoughts went to speciality jerseys like the holidays jerseys, Hispanic heritage jerseys, Chinese heritage jerseys, etc...What if they went with sponsor one off specific jerseys. Possibility is there IF it takes off and those who would oppose would have already jumped off said bridges.

Archived