Beginning of the End: NBA owners approve ads on uniforms

CS85

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But still this has got me thinking. Maybe the read the NBA requires every primary logo to have the team name in it is because when ads become the wordmarks, the logo will be the shoulder patch so fans can know what team it is. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

29 minutes ago, Morgo said:

And for some of you people, uniform enthusiasts in particular, you might as well admit it...  You might as well own up to the philosophy...

zU6figh.gif

At least use the captioned gif, sir:

x5rXTsJ.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Darren Rovell confirmed that, at least for the time being, the retail versions of the jerseys will not have the ads.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I wish the retail ones would have the option, add the sponsor patch for like 5$ like soccer does.

Yes I am the type of perfectionist thay wants my jersey to look how they do on the court, so no thanks if they dont come with them.  

Ill wont buy one without the choice. 

I do skip YouTube ads, by the way. 

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

What's the point of buying a jersey that looks nothing like the one on the court? I get that there's fashion jerseys, that's fine, but if I'm buying a jersey then I need it to look legit. Us Uniform heads are all about accuracy.

However, if the ad is just a tiny patch then I have no problem with it. It's a problem that I'm going to willingly ignore because this ad stuff shouldn't be happening.

bSLCtu2.png

9 minutes ago, Derek94 said:

What an odd thing to say

Yeah, " As long as the league that's already raking in tons of cash is finding a way to make even more, so they can have a Scrooge McDuck type vault, I'm all for it!". 

7 hours ago, CRichardson said:

No, they won't. Teams in smaller leagues, like in Europe, do that because they don't have the same revenue streams that US teams do. Hell, even the WNBA has only one on the front of its jerseys.

They will be limited in scope.

Most of the owners have advanced business degrees post-1980.  They won't, because enough is never enough.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm so glad a system-gaming tax attorney, a Russian petrogangster, and a gaggle of hedge fund managers will finally have more money.  Hey, they earned it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I liked the world more when billionaires made cars and boats and buildings and computers and stuff.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Maybe someday Corn Flakes boxes will have Levis ad in the corner and Dog Chow bags will include a logo for County Kitchen.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

9 hours ago, eRay said:

I kind of hope either A: my fellow Celtics fans pass around a virtual collection plate and pay to keep the space blank, or B: TD buys the space, and puts just the TD logo, at about an inch tall, in team colors (white "TD" on green patch on green jersey and vice versa). But even then, the NBA is benefitting from this behavior. I'll be interested to see if some teams say no, but given the prevalence of sleeved jerseys I don't think many teams push back very hard. Here's hoping for fan riots and protests which make this program at least stall for the time being.

Ah yes, the Green and white Celtics jersey, that is one of the jerseys where an ad will be most noticeable and intrusive.

All the classics will suffer of course.

I like this comment from a guy on the espn nba page : 

Advertising on sports uniforms is a dangerous game. The fans who support the club you link up with aren't really that bothered, and very rarely base product decisions on the name on their team's kit, however those fans that truly hate that team, well those guys can't carry a grudge against the brand which adorns their rival's shirts.

A good example is European soccer. Take Manchester United. Chevrolet paid a whole lot of money to affix its name to their shirts, but does it really make them more saleable to a United fan? It's doubtful. On the other hand I know plenty of fans who hate United wh
o now wouldn't buy a Chevrolet if it came with a free house and a Dallas Cowgirl in the passenger seat. They hate the club ergo they hate the brand.

Basketball wise there are few teams that truly invoke hate - but let's assume baseball picks up in this model. The prime franchise for every advertiser will be none other than the Yankees. But is that a smart move? Yankees fans will likely hate that advertiser for daring to sully their precious uniform, and a whole stack of fans from other baseball teams, notably the Mets and the Red Sox, will vow never again to buy the product that is now associated with their rival club.

8 minutes ago, ltjets21 said:

Do all teams have to have ads? Or do they just have the option to have ads? Because I could see teams like the Knicks, Lakers, and Celtics not using any ads.

The fact that 50% of the revenue is shared indicates that all teams will need to have ads.

The only way it could work as an option is if the teams that opt-out agree to contribute an amount in to the pool that gets shared, probably based on their market size.  So essentially the team would buy the space themselves at a "fair market" rate, and just put nothing there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived