Beginning of the End: NBA owners approve ads on uniforms

CS85

23 hours ago, arcane said:

Soccer uniforms looks terrible I'd prefer seeing a team logo and wordmark so I can identify with the team instead of some company logo that is an eye sore polluting my eyes I'm there to support the team not the 3rd wheel company who has no real interest in the team.

Next phase will be sports betting ads we get enough of them here in Australia about half a dozen or so every ad break and during broadcasts of the games when they cut to halftime betting odd changes as the results of the games hav progressed and changed its annoying as hell not to mention a real social problem.

I see plenty of people wearing soccer jerseys tho. You can still support the team despite there being an advertisement on the jersey. Have you not noticed the ads on the courts, sidelines, scoreboards, and practically everywhere else in the arena? 

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

I see plenty of people wearing soccer jerseys tho. You can still support the team despite there being an advertisement on the jersey. Have you not noticed the ads on the courts, sidelines, scoreboards, and practically everywhere else in the arena? 

Nope, never seen em´, guess they have to work harder to get the commercial content across and into every fan's face. I suggest they hire people to go around arenas, and ballparks too, and with the aid of a megaphone shout slogans directly into the fans ears

2 hours ago, JESSEDIEBOLT said:

I'm aware this isn't soccer. Doesn't mean some of the same ideas can't work. NBA is a very progressive league. 

How exactly are ads on jerseys "progressive"? 

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

(Pardon my laziness, but i didn't want to read through to see whether or not this has been discussed...

I posted in the NBA changes thread before realizing there was a thread devoted to this topic... The post is below.)

I wonder if there will be owners who prefer to use ad space for their own companies rather than selling the ad space... Would it be necessary to have rules regarding this? I'm not sure exactly how the ad revenue would be dispersed. If it's shared revenue, I could see why that may be prohibited. (Dan Gilbert immediately comes to mind for me: Fathead, Quicken Loans.)

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm not an nba guy, nor did I read every page of this thread, but I am disgusted and disappointed. Mainly as a fan of uniforms with aesthetics involved, but how greedy of a move this is? First, these are billionaire leagues run by multimillionaire owners and filled with millionaire players. Second, ticket prices are out if this world. I couldn't fathom taking a family of 4 to a game, grabbing parking, merchandise, and/or food. Next, they all have big tv deals as well as pay per view options. Finally, they are polluted with ads now. The jersey was the last thing left that represented the city, team, and player. There are ads on walls, floors, hockey boards, rotating over the score table, virtual ads on tv, commercial breaks, etc. So with all of this I mentioned, it still isn't enough?

KISSwall09.jpg

1 hour ago, LEWJ said:

(Pardon my laziness, but i didn't want to read through to see whether or not this has been discussed...

I posted in the NBA changes thread before realizing there was a thread devoted to this topic... The post is below.)

I wonder if there will be owners who prefer to use ad space for their own companies rather than selling the ad space... Would it be necessary to have rules regarding this? I'm not sure exactly how the ad revenue would be dispersed. If it's shared revenue, I could see why that may be prohibited. (Dan Gilbert immediately comes to mind for me: Fathead, Quicken Loans.)

They'd still have to "sell" it.  I'm sure the league will be partnering with the teams to establish a "fair value" for the space.  The Knicks or Lakers might have the most valuable space in the league, so even if they didn't "sell" the space, they'd likely still have to kick in more to the pool than what say the Bucks are getting for their ads.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The NBA is not the WNBA.  It does not need to be selling its soul for a few extra million dollars, which is a drop in the bucket for the league.  If the extra $4-5 million (based on what the Raptors were reportedly looking for) will actually make a difference to a team's bottom line, then the league has bigger problems.  And, at $4-5 million (some teams will get more; others less), it seems low to include the sponsor patch on the retail jerseys, which doesn't seem to be happening anyways.

Adam Silver literally said its not a big deal because americans are used to european soccer getting popular stateside, ******ing nonsense to be honest

and we'll still have commercials, ticket prices wont go down and merchandise will still cost more money

I wonder if it will be one ad / sponsorship for the entire season, or if they will sell in chunks - for example, early season games that nobody cares about or watches will sell for a certain price, then the late season or playoff games for a higher price - possibly to a different sponsor.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

20 hours ago, M4One said:

The NBA is not the WNBA.  It does not need to be selling its soul for a few extra million dollars, which is a drop in the bucket for the league.  If the extra $4-5 million (based on what the Raptors were reportedly looking for) will actually make a difference to a team's bottom line, then the league has bigger problems.  And, at $4-5 million (some teams will get more; others less), it seems low to include the sponsor patch on the retail jerseys, which doesn't seem to be happening anyways.

Now this is a good point, as far as the aesthetics of the jersey is concerned. I have seen some WNBA teams where the main sponsor is where the city name or nickname goes and the teams main logo is reduced to a small patch on the upper corner of the jersey. This would be a problem I could see getting worked up over, BUT from what I have heard and read this will not be the case...right now. Again, we'll just have to wait and see what these things actually look like before we start sitting in our car with the windows down and the car running in our closed garage.

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I wonder if it will be one ad / sponsorship for the entire season, or if they will sell in chunks - for example, early season games that nobody cares about or watches will sell for a certain price, then the late season or playoff games for a higher price - possibly to a different sponsor.

Interesting point. European soccer clubs will do this as well. They may have a sponsor for regular season games and a different one for tournaments. 

On April 16, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Nyk33 said:

How exactly are ads on jerseys "progressive"? 

Well, they said they would sell ad space...it doesn't necessarily mean a corporate sponsor. It could be ad space for the public school system, the local library, art museum, or....social cause....; )

6 minutes ago, Viola73 said:

Well, they said they would sell ad space...it doesn't necessarily mean a corporate sponsor. It could be ad space for the public school system, the local library, art museum, or....social cause....; )

Yes, because the public library can afford to spend $4 million on a small ad.

Archived