Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Are there even such things as "southern fans" that want more southern teams and don't care about more Canadian ones?

I'm in Texas. From Alabama. I cheer for Dallas, but would love to see Quebec, Atlanta, and Houston get teams for various reasons. I also want a second team in the GTA.

Expanding, moving Arizona, Carolina, and Florida... Maybe Vegas eventually... I'm fine with those moves to make it happen.

My biggest gripe is the merry go round of identity. The Jets are currently in Arizona. The Whalers are in Carolina. Making either the Whalers or Jets become the Nordiques is a headache to me. Especially when the Nordiques are in Denver and the Jets 2.0 are in Winnipeg, via Georgia. Not much we can do to fix all that though, short of a time machine.

baseketball.jpg

Watch this movie

The problem is that the ice surface is white, unlike other sports that play on green or wood.  Gray and black jerseys just look terrible against a white background, IMO - you need more color on your TV screen.  I hated it when the Flyers wore black at home - it was so dull and looked like a black-and-white TV most of the time. It was literally dull to watch on TV.  

Fortunately for them, they already had a huge fan base that didn't care.  If you're building one from scratch, you need to make it "fun" to watch.  Black and white isn't "fun".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On November 25, 2016 at 7:43 PM, the admiral said:

Yeah, it's funny how all this works. The NHL never wanted those three teams in the first place, heavily disadvantaged them on the way in, and did nothing to help them on the way out (and facilitated the move out of Winnipeg by revising their ownership rules on the fly). The Avs lucked out thanks to rich owners and the returns on the Lindros trade but the other two have been caught in negative feedback loops from day one. It's no wonder we're talking about one former WHA team assuming the intellectual property of another.

I'll accept that argument for the Jets/Coyotes. And you're right, the terms the four WHA franchises had to accept were ridiculously bad. However, the Hurricanes went to the Finals twice, taking home the cup in '06. I'm not inclined to give them that pass. Them falling apart so quickly, in '06, wasn't due to odds-stacking the League did back in '79.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

14 hours ago, ColeJ said:

Are there even such things as "southern fans" that want more southern teams and don't care about more Canadian ones?

HFBoards would indicate there are. We even had a Thrashers fan on this forum who rooted against all the Canadian teams because he claimed Wayne Gretzky was rude to him as a southern fan once. 

Then again maybe HFBoards and this place aren't the best places to judge Normalcy :P

As for the WHA identity mixup? Yeah it's weird, but blame the NHL for not giving up the ghost on the Coyotes. TNSE was angling to get them, and probably would have had the league not decided there was more blood in the stone that was Glendale/Shane Doan threw a bitchfit about having to leave his horse farm. 

The new Jets could have literally been the old Jets, but now our best case scenario is a world where the new Nords are the old Whalers.

27 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Then again maybe HFBoards and this place aren't the best places to judge Normalcy :P

Ice_Cap...we've had our difference-of-opinions... but you are so bang-on with this...

And thank goodness eh?...It'd be pretty boring around here otherwise!! 

1 hour ago, sparky chewbarky said:

Ice_Cap...we've had our difference-of-opinions... but you are so bang-on with this...

And thank goodness eh?...It'd be pretty boring around here otherwise!! 

Agreed! And as far as our differences go? Water under the bridge my fellow Ontarian hockey enthusiast :D

15 hours ago, zigbazah said:

These uniforms do look pretty nice...

2ef5p28.jpg

I worked once for a USMA grad.  He explained the colors - black, yellow, white and gray - were "unofficially" representing the elements of gunpowder:

Charcoal black

Sulphur yellow

Saltpeter white

Smoke gray.

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

3 hours ago, Needschat said:

I worked once for a USMA grad.  He explained the colors - black, yellow, white and gray - were "unofficially" representing the elements of gunpowder:

Charcoal black

Sulphur yellow

Saltpeter white

Smoke gray.

Live look at Bill Foley

mcmahongif.jpg

20 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The problem is that the ice surface is white, unlike other sports that play on green or wood.  Gray and black jerseys just look terrible against a white background, IMO - you need more color on your TV screen.  I hated it when the Flyers wore black at home - it was so dull and looked like a black-and-white TV most of the time. It was literally dull to watch on TV.  

Fortunately for them, they already had a huge fan base that didn't care.  If you're building one from scratch, you need to make it "fun" to watch.  Black and white isn't "fun".

I loved the black Flyers look when it first came out, thinking it would be a once in a while alternate sweater. When they moved it to full time, I hated it.

9 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

I loved the black Flyers look when it first came out, thinking it would be a once in a while alternate sweater. When they moved it to full time, I hated it.

I remember when the Flyers came out with the black alternates, and it was an awesome alternate, once in a while look. Then it became the road jersey for the playoffs (for a while, a bunch of teams were doing this, making the 3rd jersey the road jersey for the playoffs). When they got rid of the orange uniforms in favor of the black ones, I was totally sick of them. When you put the tv on and saw orange, you knew the Flyers were playing. With the black, they looked like everyone else.

Ugh, I'd completely forgotten that West Point had gone to this, as the official logo, until a current cadet there mentioned it. Foley's guys are one thing, but I can't fathom how the NHL's lawyers thought the Vegas logo wouldn't cause headaches, down the road.

army-west-point-logo-600.jpg

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

11 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Ugh, I'd completely forgotten that West Point had gone to this, as the official logo, until a current cadet there mentioned it. Foley's guys are one thing, but I can't fathom how the NHL's lawyers thought the Vegas logo wouldn't cause headaches, down the road.

army-west-point-logo-600.jpg

Speaking of headaches, a sword through your head would cause that. What a terrible logo

9 minutes ago, fonz said:

Looks like Army officials may have a problem with Vegas using Golden Knights due to confusion with their parachute team.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/11/28/army-officials-review-hockey-team-use-golden-knights.html

"We're reviewing the situation and figuring out what the way ahead would be," she said.

Officials with the hockey team could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

*several hundred thousand dollars is exchanged via briefcase swap at local airport*

"We've reviewed the situation and have concluded that the infringement is not in violation."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Archived