Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

23 minutes ago, CRichardson said:

"LA Galaxy" sounds better than "Los Angeles Galaxy," while "Los Angeles Lakers" works a lot better than "LA Lakers."

People can call them the "LA Galaxy" but their official name should be "Los Angeles Galaxy."

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Playhouse said:

The Clippers officially changed their name to the LA Clippers.

And Randy Newman doesn't officially represent the City of Los Angeles.  Unless I missed an announcement along the way.

1. Nobody should be taking any branding cues from the GD LA Clippers right now. Good grief. 

2. It was a joke, but just because a city nickname is used colloquially by a city department does not make it an official name. The city is still Las Vegas. That's what they signs say, that's what the maps say.  A lot of people I know refer to my hometown as "Cbus", but I'd riot in the streets if my hockey team called themselves the Cbus Blue Jackets. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Or the Ottawa REDBLACKS. Teams can insist on all kinds of stupid crap. Doesn't mean we have to humour them.

45 minutes ago, coltravesty said:

the canadian media is acting like cnn during the election process. Convincing the public that the franchise is a joke when they've barely done anything yet. This team might be booed to death when they play in Canada next year.

Can't piss on your most loyal fanbase for this long and not expect some pushback.

Not gonna lie... That logo is terrible. Both are, actually, but the primary logo, to me, is dreadful. 

The colors are too dark and blend together, the shadows don't look right, the highlights look like the Browns' upshadow numbers, and the shield and helmet don't seem to go together, like the helmet was slapped on over the shield. Not to mention the helmet doesn't have any depth, and the helmet is a Spartan's helmet. 

I actually like the idea of the star logo, but I also think it's a couple tweaks away from being decent.

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

I just looked through the NHL team logos of all the franchises. As I inspected all of them, giving them my opinion rating them 1-10 and such etc, I finally got to Vegas..... Looked back at all the other logos and then back at Vegas. Does it not look like an X-Box Halo Achievement logo? Or something? It just doesn't scream official big league NHL. I dunno, I dunno. 

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

8 minutes ago, worcat said:

I just looked through the NHL team logos of all the franchises. As I inspected all of them, giving them my opinion rating them 1-10 and such etc, I finally got to Vegas..... Looked back at all the other logos and then back at Vegas. Does it not look like an X-Box Halo Achievement logo? Or something? It just doesn't scream official big league NHL. I dunno, I dunno. 

Yeah, seeing the logo on the NHL page for the mothership it doesnt fit with the rest.  Could just be a timing deal and we need to give it more exposure.

1 minute ago, CreamSoda said:

Yeah, seeing the logo on the NHL page for the mothership it doesnt fit with the rest.  Could just be a timing deal and we need to give it more exposure.

I think that's it. We just need to get used to it in that context. 

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

I had not seen it yet within the other NHL logos. I liked it at first but two things striked me in the "league" context. First, it's definitely way too dark second, this guy definitely has an Army boner.

FWIW (nothing) Here's my two cents.

- First off, the gold in the logo is too dark.

- The "Vegas" in the script should not be larger than the team name, it just looks odd.

- Having no Las in the name is a poor decision, its bush league.

Aside from those things, i think it's good, not great.

1 hour ago, worcat said:

It's weird, I'm sure because it's new but you see great familiar logos and then Vegas....Double take, WHAAAAAAT!?!?

edcd4e5ff18187745ba03434a435ecd6d467f067

th?id=OIP.M17a094b2d8f0e93f9eb365081f370th?id=OIP.M088291d71c5ceb9c7a2d4ea576ee9th?id=OIP.M645eabf521ef65bf12a72e32d459d

-5 points for the awful memes.

I think that the new logos are actually pretty good. The helmet logo is still growing on me, but I'm loving the sword-star. The color scheme is also pretty good, imo.

Another thing that's similar to saying "Vegas" in place of Las Vegas is "Indy" for Indianapolis. There's a team called the Indy Fuel. They play in the ECHL. Do not do as the ECHL does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is a stock logo.

MIS.png

This looks more like an NHL logo than the Vegas one does.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Archived