Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

I want to like this logo but the dull. muted colours really bother me.  And for Golden Knights, too much of the Knight is dark...

I wish they would have done something like this, more bright gold, and a clearer contrast on the background and helmet.

wipmUnv.png

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

I want to like this logo but the dull. muted colours really bother me.  And for Golden Knights, too much of the Knight is dark...

I wish they would have done something like this, more bright gold, and a clearer contrast on the background and helmet.

wipmUnv.png

I thought along the same lines. Brighter gold, teal/graphite in the logo becomes a darker gold, black shield shape on slate gray jerseys. I'd also change all the white to a light gray but it may not work with the gold being as yellow as you have it. I think if that is their logo choice then your colors are vastly superior to theirs.

No, they went to the unveil because they tried to play the video, it said PLACEHOLDER and had no audio (or it had music but no talking: were the interviewees in the video just never wired for sound when they recorded it?), then they tried to play it a second time and it was still messed up, then they went to play it a third time and said screw it before things could get even worse. Then they were supposed to have fireworks go off when he said the name but they didn't all go off at once so he kept yelling it over and over until they did.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I don't watch hockey and I can't tell you much if anything about any of their logos... but looking at this one at first impression, I like it. Seems like a nice logo, one I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear. I'm sure it could use improvements but that's my take. I only posted because maybe sometimes hearing an outsider/non hockey fan's take on it helps.

7 hours ago, mcrosby said:

Here's my real quick and dirty stab at this. 

My grievances with the logos as they are: 

• The keyline on the swords logo. Just an obvious mistake
  • The helmet reads as a Spartan helmet, not a knight helmet
  • The black. We've got enough black in the NHL. 
  • The coherence of the logoset. The primary and secondary look like they were options from two different logosets that Foley decided should be together. 

My fix: 

bt5R58L.png

The helmet plume is just a placeholder for now. It's a quick edit of the former Rutgers knight logo plume. It adds that right to left motion that many logos have and breaks out of the shield, creating a dynamic shape. 

MUCH better. Your last bullet is my biggest grievance with the set....it's a complete mess. This is a great fix. Well done.

gYH2mW9.png

The more I think about it the more I hate using just Vegas without Las in front of it. I hate when teams or companies "officialize" a nickname. Like the Lightning's "BOLTS" alternates. Don't put a fan created nickname on an official uniform.

Let your fans or others call you "Vegas" if they want to, but your official name should be the actual name of your city.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

The team not having jerseys before Christmas means they don't think ahead, which means they won't draft well, they won't scout well, and they won't play well.

On top of that, their general manager is the guy who couldn't get Alex Ovechkin in his prime past the second round (and seldom got him past the first) due to substandard drafting and hiring one incredibly awful coach. Basically all they have going for them is Bettman tweaked the expansion draft rules to be far more generous than the ones the 1997 expansion teams got, plus guaranteed top-15 picks irrespective of finish.

32 minutes ago, the admiral said:

No, they went to the unveil because they tried to play the video, it said PLACEHOLDER and had no audio (or it had music but no talking: were the interviewees in the video just never wired for sound when they recorded it?), then they tried to play it a second time and it was still messed up, then they went to play it a third time and said screw it before things could get even worse. Then they were supposed to have fireworks go off when he said the name but they didn't all go off at once so he kept yelling it over and over until they did.

and in between each attempt at playing a video there was stalling where they awkwardly went back to Foley and Bettman and there was the part where Bill Foley said "I wish you could see this because I was interviewed for like 3 hours for it" hahahaha good drop-in. 

It was so perfectly botched. I'll never forget it. I'm no longer worried about this team being unfairly good out of the gate. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm serious, did they not plug his mic in? Unless they were playing it back straight out of Adobe Premiere because they only now just finished cutting it (not ruling this out), why would some audio tracks be missing but not all?

1 minute ago, McCarthy said:

The more I think about it the more I hate using just Vegas without Las in front of it. I hate when teams or companies "officialize" a nickname. Like the Lightning's "BOLTS" alternates. Don't put a fan created nickname on an official uniform.

Let your fans or others call you "Vegas" if they want to, but your official name should be the actual name of your city.  

This x1000. I hate when teams use informal nicknames on their jerseys. "D-Backs," "Jays, "Bolts," "Cavs," and "Jags" all look terrible, IMO. 

And as a team's location name, it's that much worse. To me, this is just as bad as the Golden State Warriors (which always sounded like a random D-III college team). It's like naming a team the "Jersey Nets," "Frisco 49ers," or "Philly Eagles." 

Just now, kroywen said:

To me, this is just as bad as the Golden State Warriors (which always sounded like a random D-III college team)

"Golden Knights" sounds like a Catholic high school.

1 hour ago, coltravesty said:

the logo was finalized 2 weeks ago sir. 

They had ~18 months to think this through.  This logo shouldn't have been finalized 2 weeks ago, and they should have had the entire brand package done and ready to roll out before now.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

22 minutes ago, Nyk33 said:

f081b5a9-caa7-4b6d-af6d-a24841c1f38e.jpg

Am I the only one that thinks the logo is off center on that sign?

The whole thing is off-center. Maybe there was some effect in place that a photo couldn't capture.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, AstroBull21 said:

Just curious, but why in your opinion wouldn't they consider it?  There's too many black jerseys, Nashville has the gold home sweater, why not be the first with graphite?

I think black, while generic, would sell more. I'd go for a graphite primary. I just don't know if they'll put uniqueness first.

I think it's gonna look a lot like the Kings jerseys. 

Archived