MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

I believe so.  I saw on Twitter New Era showing off the cap of that vintage (1998 World Series)

It's odd - the link they provided was not to an on-field version, but to a Cooperstown fashion version.  I realize they are trying to sell hats...just wish they were selling the on-fields like TBTC this year and the same Padres hat last year.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

But you could say that about every round of playoffs.  One of the eliminated teams is going to be better than some of the surviving teams.  This doesn't provide a reason to let those eliminated teams continue.  Yet this is what the wild card does; it allows continued participation by teams who have already been legitimately elimated (by not coming in first).  The difference in strength between two divisions -- or the difference in strength between two brackets in any playoff system -- is a year-by-year phenomenon that evens out over time. 

The difference between a postseason series and the regular season is that the postseason series is a head-to-head matchup.  If you lose a postseason series, you have yourself to blame unless there's a Maier/Denkinger/midges type situation.  In the regular season, you can go into Queens with their biggest slugger and most of their rotation out at the beginning of the year and sweep them then have the team fighting you in the division go in at the end with them at full strength and get swept.

In the end, if we're questioning whether or not the Wild Card belongs, doesn't a team's success in head-to-head play answer that?  And isn't that a better measure of the quality of a team than season record? 

18 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'd say that there were two good pullover jerseys in history.

Joerudi8x10awas.jpg.131cdb1fc2f52ab4e14b9ae7aedbf1ac.jpg  81593191.thumb.jpg.d3f9222d37dfa102597644a293b402a3.jpg

The Tigers' road pullovers were  goofy as hell.  In the 1984 World Series, in games played in San Diego, the Tigers managed to look like the cheesy expansion team while the Padres looked sharp in their button-down whites.

sdut-padres-world-series-gossage-2014oct20.jpg.4a25367423bac399be5ae7f053607867.jpg 

And I think the Red Sox' and Reds' forays into pullovers were nothing short of embarrassing, as was the Cardinals'.  (Though, oddly, the Giants' pullovers were tolerable despite this being a venerable old team.) These traditional teams, like the Yankees and Dodgers, should have stayed with true baseball aesthetics.

Toronto's pullovers were just a victim of the trends of the time; I consider those jerseys to be just a way-station until the team found its true look in the late 80s, as several teams began adapting their pullovers to a button-down style (Royals, Angels, Pirates, Mets, Tigers road, Cardinals, Astros), producing pronounced improvements every time.

Those are great.  I was just going off the top of my head and some old All-Star Game team pictures.  I'm unsure of what you mean about the Tigers and Padres, unless you just mean that ones a button down and one isn't.

I assume that when we're discussing best pullovers we're taking the entire uniform into account.  Most of the rest of the pullovers were almost the same as their button-downs.  I think the Tequila Sunrises and Angels are gorgeous too, but they'd just been talked about.  

The classic Toronto look is the late 80's-early 90's set with the off-center bird, but if we're talking about what are the best pullovers, those Toronto unis were gorgeous, and their away may be the best of the powder blue aways.  I never liked the lack of contrast of the wordmark on Kansas City.

13012114002347.jpg

And taking the entire uniform into account, Boston's pullover may have been a little empty, especially without the button-down's plack piping, that hat and the navy and red stirrups that the team should be wearing today push it into the upper eschelon.

Lee-Bill-1975-PitchingAction01.jpg

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 6/13/2017 at 11:05 AM, Silent Wind of Doom said:

I went through making a schedule for April, figuring out how teams wore their socks to give a good appraisal of how the league was doing.  Then life got crazy

chicken/egg scenario right here if you ask me

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 minutes ago, insert name said:

Is this really the ASG Hats? (unless you guys already spoke about it and I completely missed it or forgot)

CaptureLEGEIT.PNG

I don't understand them either, it doesn't go with the Marlins at all. The Home run derby hat is pretty nice tho. Seems kind of unnecessary to have two all-star hats tho. 

23 minutes ago, KGeeX5 said:

I don't understand them either, it doesn't go with the Marlins at all. The Home run derby hat is pretty nice tho. Seems kind of unnecessary to have two all-star hats tho. 

We've had BP hats and All-Star hats for quite a while.  It's clearly all about $$$$.  

Chris just tweeted out an article that said that Boston will be participating in the Players' Weekend.  They are hosting Baltimore.  They will be wearing names on the back of their home jerseys.

Oh, I can't wait for the traditionalists to freak out.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

5 minutes ago, Bouj said:

Chris just tweeted out an article that said that Boston will be participating in the Players' Weekend.  They are hosting Baltimore.  They will be wearing names on the back of their home jerseys.

Oh, I can't wait for the traditionalists to freak out.

tumblr_oqw83bVsxQ1wqm82lo1_500.gif

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

So finally everyone who bought a Super-Nintendi jersey will no longer be wearing a jersey foul? Lol.

I have no complaints. Sports are supposed to be fun.

20 hours ago, KGeeX5 said:

Report: Baseball to relax uniform policies during first Players Weekend 

http://es.pn/2scxrmE

via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app

... interesting

Nothing "allows athletes to showcase their personalities" like carefully proscribed regulations enumerating the specific methods by which said personality can be showcased.

47 minutes ago, swilson160 said:

Nothing "allows athletes to showcase their personalities" like carefully proscribed regulations enumerating the specific methods by which said personality can be showcased.

flairz.jpeg

On 6/14/2017 at 10:39 AM, WSU151 said:

It's odd - the link they provided was not to an on-field version, but to a Cooperstown fashion version.  I realize they are trying to sell hats...just wish they were selling the on-fields like TBTC this year and the same Padres hat last year.

what's the difference between the OnField and Coop hats? the stupid flag is everywhere now and probably will be made in china too

Just now, el_gmac said:

what's the difference between the OnField and Coop hats? the stupid flag is everywhere now and probably will be made in china too

The NE flag is on both, but there's an extra outline around the batterman on the Coop, and the material and underbrim might be slightly different than the On-Field.  

Archived