MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

So I'd say whether they really named the team after ( Sockalexis) or not, now 100+ years later, it would be nice to officially give him the honor and work toward a respectful identity to honor him with.

Indeed.  The team wasn't originally named after him, but that doesn't mean that they can't now engage his tribe and create a lasting legacy together.

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

TONY: ay what'sh da line on dish redshkins game

PAULIE: Careful, T! You can't say dat word no more. 

SILVIO: :mad::mad: they don't like it.  :mad:

PAULIE: Course, I always found it to be. a misnamer. To me. deyr skin looks more brown...den anyting!

CHRIS: Who caaaares, Puaulie, they're extinct!

SILVIO:  :mad: i don't know about that  :mad:

TONY: dish ish all ridiculoush, dish whole...cultchuh today! can't shay dish, can't shay dat, it's deezh kidsh...dey're too shawft!

PAULIE: You said it, T. If dey had a team, called da Italians? I'd be proud!

CHRIS: What, like the New Jersey Guinea Wop Dagos?

PAULIE: watch it chrissy

May be one of the greatest posts I've read on here. It's easy to mimic the way that Tony Soprano talks, but to put the full stops in the middle of everything Paulie says is brilliant. I could hear this conversation in my head as it I was reading it. Very well done. 

Hawk's point about the name being an unofficial nickname during the Spiders years seems to support the idea, if true.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That's not actually true.  That story first surfaced in 1948, well after the fact.  The team itself appears to have been named after the Boston Braves, at the time a powerhouse club.

This cartoon ran in the Cleveland Plain Dealer the day after the new name was announced.  Had Louis Sockalexis featured into the decision at all, it would certainly have been referenced.

lead_large.jpg?1473196254

That story persists because it would be awfully convenient for the team's defenders if they could tie it to a genuine honorific.  Sadly, it's not.

I'm not saying for sure it's true or not, but I'd like to say that the cartoon in question seems to be... questionable.  At least half of the tableaus appear to be mocking the change.  I get the feeling from looking at this that the creator and paper are critical of the change.  If not, then at least they're trying to be humorous.  The idea of the team honoring a player doesn't fit into either of these narratives, so it's rather easy to completely leave it out.  Not to mention that I don't find a paper's voice on the situation to necessarily be indicative of the front office's/owner's intent.

Hawk's point about the name being an unofficial nickname during the Spiders years seems to support the idea, if true.

8 hours ago, Gothamite said:

You seem to be missing the most significant exaggerated racial feature, aside from the appaling red color (which is exactly like the minstrel's blacker-than-pitch blackface).   Something... big.  

Something as plain as the nose on his face. 

Huh.  It does seem to be a cartoonish version of the actual feature a segment of the native population (such as the previously mentioned Sitting Bull) have.  I don't necessarily know if it's an equivalency, since I've never heard someone say "What's the one thing you can't give an injun?  A swollen nose."  Alcoholism, red skin, and savagery are more the targets.  Are Natives often mocked for their noses?

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

TONY: ay what'sh da line on dish redshkins game

PAULIE: Careful, T! You can't say dat word no more. 

SILVIO: :mad::mad: they don't like it.  :mad:

PAULIE: Course, I always found it to be. a misnamer. To me. deyr skin looks more brown...den anyting!

CHRIS: Who caaaares, Puaulie, they're extinct!

SILVIO:  :mad: i don't know about that  :mad:

TONY: dish ish all ridiculoush, dish whole...cultchuh today! can't shay dish, can't shay dat, it's deezh kidsh...dey're too shawft!

PAULIE: You said it, T. If dey had a team, called da Italians? I'd be proud!

CHRIS: What, like the New Jersey Guinea Wop Dagos?

PAULIE: watch it chrissy

Anyone I know like that would be totally fine with the Guinea Wop Dagos.  XD

spacer.png

spacer.png

You're free to not believe the paper.  But then the onus is on you to find any contemporaneous source citing Louis Sockalexis as the inspiration for the team name. Even a retroactive claim from someone involved in the decision who decided at the time to hide their true intentions.  Anything other than a modern reselling where somebody who wasn't there makes unsupported assertions. Baseball scholars have done so, and can't find anything before it was first suggested in 1948.

It's just not true.  No matter how much some people want it to be. 

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

You're free to not believe the paper.  But then the onus is on you to find any contemporaneous source citing Louis Sockalexis as the inspiration for the team name. Baseball scholars have done so, and can't find anything before 1948.

It's just not true.  No matter how much some people want it to be. 

Yeah.  Like I said, unsure of it's veracity, just saying that I don't think the cartoon helps one way in another.  Given that the league still pushes the Doubleday myth, I understand everything can't exactly be taken as truth at face value.

spacer.png

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, CreamSoda said:

We, as a community, are always hammering for Color V Color matchups. 

Now we get one and we hate it!  Love it.

1. Not everyone here has been keen on the general idea of color vs. color. *raises hand*

2. In no universe I can think of is a royal vs. navy matchup aesthetically pleasing. Or even good.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Archived