NBA Changes 2017-18

Conrad.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, jmatt116 said:

(not here to complain!) you guys can call it cartoonish that doesnt really bother me. New NBA all teams are red white and blue and use the most basic letter forms.

I've read in the past that RW and B colored jerseys tend to sell the best. It's like appealing to the lowest common denominator of jersey-buyers. MLB is by far the biggest culprit for this.

12 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I've read in the past that RW and B colored jerseys tend to sell the best. It's like appealing to the lowest common denominator of jersey-buyers. MLB is by far the biggest culprit for this.

hmmm thats interesting. i normally buy the jersey based on the player. but yeah you could be right

1 hour ago, Digby said:

The needs of other stakeholders don't always match the needs of a message board of design enthusiasts, it's 100% fine that jerseys in 2017 don't look like they came out of a '90s remote-control toy aisle at Walmart, and all of this is kind of off topic.

i miss the 90s remote control toy aisle :(

On 7/7/2017 at 10:03 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

The only good uniforms the Suns ever had:

Related image  Image result for phoenix suns walter davis

:wub::wub::wub:  I remember the first time I ever saw those jerseys...my first crush in junior high wasn't on a girl...it was those Phoenix Suns jerseys.  :blush::blush::blush:

2 hours ago, jmatt116 said:

(not here to complain!) you guys can call it cartoonish that doesnt really bother me. New NBA all teams are red white and blue and use the most basic letter forms. teal taken out of grizzlies. purple taken out of toronto. gold taken out of washington. my biggest example is the nets rebrand. they went from decent to black and white? thats really all they could do? ive seen blue as an accent in new mock ups of the nets logos and it looks so much better!

41ef0c1f-4ef8-464d-8d8a-2552b7752d2b.jpg

Where's that Rockets jersey from?

4 hours ago, jmatt116 said:

(not here to complain!) you guys can call it cartoonish that doesnt really bother me. New NBA all teams are red white and blue and use the most basic letter forms. teal taken out of grizzlies. purple taken out of toronto. gold taken out of washington. my biggest example is the nets rebrand. they went from decent to black and white? thats really all they could do? ive seen blue as an accent in new mock ups of the nets logos and it looks so much better!

41ef0c1f-4ef8-464d-8d8a-2552b7752d2b.jpg

2 hours ago, sayahh said:

Where's that Rockets jersey from?

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Bottom left, not top left, correct?.

I think from a Chinese New Year celebration of some sort.  My guess is either 2003 or 2004, only because of that Bobcats jersey next to it

On 7/9/2017 at 0:57 PM, jmatt116 said:

Old wordmarks vs current. I dont want to be THAT guy who complains about the way logos, fonts, courts, jerseys are going but to ME they are going down hill. someone has to agree? If you think the new wordmarks are better, that is ok. my main point is they are ALL SO BASIC. the only new one i like more is the new orleans pelicans, that is an amazing colors and it fits into new orleans culture real well. I want to do a side by side of jerseys next. LOGO DESIGN IS GETTING MORE AND MORE BASIC. times have changed. whoever told me to keep my 90s ideas in the 90s! I WILL NEVER! Long live great design!

logos.jpg

Well minimalism is in now, so I'm sure that had to do with some of the updates.  Some of the old ones are so bad that it doesn't matter what artistic style they were going for - they just ended up with childish nonsense (Timberwolves, Grizzlies for example.)

Of those, the only old ones I prefer are Cavaliers (by FAR), Raptors, Orlando, and maybe Sacramento but probably not.

I'm probably the only fan of that old Sixers wordmark, but (at least for them, not in a vacuum), it's inferior to the plain block one they now use.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Of those, the only old ones I prefer are Cavaliers (by FAR), Raptors, Orlando, and maybe Sacramento but probably not.

Agreed on the first three, and I like the new Sacremento font too.  

There's a point where too much minimalism loses its cool and just becomes boring.  

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 7/9/2017 at 7:24 PM, jmatt116 said:

yes they dont look professional but they are fun. do you want the whole NBA to use times new roman, calibri, and garamond? you get professional and legible or creative and fun, you cannot have both

fake news. (also, non of those fonts mentioned are used in any of the designs posted)

what i see in the examples is the craft of the wordmarks has improved greatly. so many of the old marks were either really badly put together (the Raptors mark seems to be sliding off the arc it sits on), designed by someone/team with little knowledge of type, or were over stylized, featuring so many strokes and colors that they are unreadable. too many are far from being timeless and were doomed to be dated from the beginning.

but i also see a lack of imagination; a loss of concept and artistic flair. thats pretty common in all design niches today though. i think NBA identities should have a sense of professionalism and should be designed appropriately for the grown men wearing it, but it should not be forgotten that this is a game of the streets that is more synonymous with graffiti and hip-hop than suit and tie. when you combine the right attitude/personality with craft and concept, you hit the sweet spot. i think the Nets, Hornets, Kings (maybe a few others) all do that well from top to bottom. 

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

5 hours ago, tohasbo said:

I think from a Chinese New Year celebration of some sort.  My guess is either 2003 or 2004, only because of that Bobcats jersey next to it

It's Japanese and without looking it up I thought that it might have read "Nintendo" on it because I was thinking about the Mariners but I doubt it.

Conrad posted where it came from (thanks!) but I still don't know what it says but I'm guessing it was never worn in a game.

Archived