2002 Washington Redskins Full-Time Throwbacks

DeFrank

As I'm sure most of you know, the Washington Redskins wore 1960s-style fauxback uniforms in 2002 for all of their home games except for Dallas (forcing them to wear blue).

Does anyone know why/how the NFL allowed the team to have a full-time alternate for one year? Does that even fit within the NFL's parameters for this sort of thing? 

A couple other notes:

-The below photo shows the team wearing their normal white-topped striped socks rather than what they ended up using.

-Snyder's claim they might go back to wearing them full time is fascinating and something I never knew was considered. 

Here's part of a story from Scout.com about the changes: 

The Redskins will wear their new uniforms for this season only, though owner Daniel Snyder did not rule out making a permanent change after this year.

4_smootuni.JPG 
Washington Redskins' Rod Gardner (87) and Fred Smoot (21) wear the new home-field uniform for the 2002 season during a news conference in Ashburn, Va., Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2002. The Redskins have adopted a new uniform for their 70th anniversary season, shedding the image of a stern Indian face from the side of their helmets. The revamped uniforms, which will only be worn at home games, include burgundy helmets that feature a logo with a spear and feathers, according to the team. (AP Photo/Stephen J. Boitano)

Washington will wear gold pants with burgundy and white stripes and a dark burgundy top. The Redskins' helmets will be dark burgundy with a spear and feather dangling off it.

But they'll only wear the uniforms for home games--it's back to the more recent jerseys on the road. However, Spurrier said the Redskins would wear white tops at home against Dallas, forcing the Cowboys to wear their less-favored dark uniforms.

And Snyder was adamant that this move had nothing to do with any pressure by local civic groups to change the name.

''None whatsoever,'' Snyder said. ''We won't be changing the name for 100-years plus.''

The change is designed to commemorate the franchise's 70th anniversary. It also will boost sales of jerseys--the Redskins lag in the middle of the NFL sales for such items.

4_newhelmet.JPG 

concepts: washington football (2017) ... nfl (2013) ... yikes

potd 10/20/12

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those were such great uniforms. I wasn't as keyed in on uniforms at the time and they wore them so often that I fully believed they had gone through with a full on rebranding. That was a few years after the Jets had gone back to their 1960's uniforms so there was precedent for it. 

danny-wuerffel-of-the-washington-redskin

2015318_display_image.jpg

I very much doubt the league would allow a team to play a full season in a throwback uniform ever again. In 94 a few teams just decided to keep on wearing the throwbacks even after the designated anniversary period was over and that includes the 49ers who wore their throwbacks in the GD Super Bowl. That would never fly today. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

In 2002, the Redskins also wore white over burgundy for their home opener vs Arizona. I also wonder if Bruce Allen would consider a change to that 2002 style, with a contrasting white jersey for the road, on a full time basis given his affection for gold pants.

7 hours ago, C-Squared said:

Obviously not a game-worn jersey considering it has retail tags... maybe he just meant that he has a Darrell Green jersey from the 2002 season.

yes purchased off washington redskins website back in 02 not game-worn or team issued but a Reebok Authentic.

The team also wore the uniform during Week 13 of the 2003 season. It looks like it had a possibility of becoming an alternate but was dropped for some reason. I personally think Washington should bring it back because the current one keeps being worn with the wrong helmet. It totally works as all they would have to do is swap decals to wear it again.

bSLCtu2.png

I was 10 at the time and remember one day before the football season started going with my Stepdad to the mall in Provo to get a baseball cap. He's a big Seahawks fan and was distracted by one of the new rebrand caps that was navy and slate blue. He was unaware they were even changing and curiously asked the worker there something like "what's going on with this hat?" He replied "oh yeah, Seattle's rebranding! Washington is too. They're going back to the spear. We don't have that merch yet though."

Of course the worker ended up being slightly wrong in that Washington wasn't rebranding like Seattle was, but nevertheless it peaked my interest at that young age to a point where I went out of my way to look for it anytime Washington was on. It was probably the first time I ever did it for a football uniform, at least that I could remember. I ended up loving that uniform then and still love it now. The best part of course is the spear, but the unsung hero to me is how well that slightly darker burgundy looks with gold. It's a really, really beautiful color set.

I'd do backflips if it ever hit the field again, but for now being able to use it in Madden will do (even if the gold isn't quite correct). It's sure served me well while I've done a franchise career with a created Forrest Gump...

IMG_5578.JPG

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

The team also wore the uniform during Week 13 of the 2003 season. It looks like it had a possibility of becoming an alternate but was dropped for some reason. I personally think Washington should bring it back because the current one keeps being worn with the wrong helmet. It totally works as all they would have to do is swap decals to wear it again.

It was probably dropped after Gibbs came back as coach, given that he only wanted to wear white jerseys at home.

56 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

Washington also wore it at the 2002 Osaka Game vs. the 49ers. I can't remember if ESPN actually televised it or if I'm recalling highlights on Sports Center, but either way it was the first time I ever saw it:

IMG_5583.JPG

I do believe ESPN aired that game, I know they did the next year. I specifically remember watching the Buccaneers playing in Tokyo back in 2003 and it was like 4am.

bSLCtu2.png

Archived