2002 Washington Redskins Full-Time Throwbacks

DeFrank

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Harmening said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but those Cowboys jerseys suck.

When paired with the silver lid, I completely agree. But the uniforms as a standalone are still much better thanthe current white ones.

5 hours ago, Harmening said:

This may be an unpopular opinion, but those Cowboys jerseys suck.

Agreed. Everybody looks back on those unis fondly but, the large gaudy stars take a lot away from it

6 hours ago, msubulldog said:

I just wonder which helmets would look the best with this Redskin jersey--the current one, the "Robin the Boy Wonder" from 1970-71, or the spear?

"Robin the Boy Wonder" is funny....Never heard that.  Always called it the Radio Shack helmet.

Check out my site at stevebcreations.com

Those uniforms are so good. The shades of burgundy and gold are much better than the brighter shades they use today, and most of all, I love the spear helmet. Probably don't need the spear as a standalone logo on the sleeves but other than that I'd want the Redskins to look pretty close to that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I feel so out of touch on these, because I just don't love them. I know the basic idea behind these should be right in my wheelhouse, and most of the CCSLCers I'm usually in lockstep with are big fans of it, but there's just a few details that bug me enough that I find impossible to get past.

The repeating of the spear on the sleeve is IMO needless clutter. As great as the spear looks on a helmet, it just doesn't work as well on the sleeve.  And the hip logo as a real eyesore. I can't think of an example where a hip logo actually improves a uniform. And if for some reason you feel a hip logo is necessary, why repeat the anniversary logo? Six spearheads on one uniform is absolutely overkill.  But the most nagging brainworm of this set is the fact that they designed a brand new stripe pattern for the sleeve (Obviously as a "house" for the spear) but kept the authentic throwback stripe on the socks.  Mismatched stripes between sleeves and socks are always a deal breaker for me.  (Come to think of it, Washington is still making this mistake.)

2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I feel so out of touch on these, because I just don't love them. I know the basic idea behind these should be right in my wheelhouse, and most of the CCSLCers I'm usually in lockstep with are big fans of it, but there's just a few details that bug me enough that I find impossible to get past.

The repeating of the spear on the sleeve is IMO needless clutter. As great as the spear looks on a helmet, it just doesn't work as well on the sleeve.  And the hip logo as a real eyesore. I can't think of an example where a hip logo actually improves a uniform. And if for some reason you feel a hip logo is necessary, why repeat the anniversary logo? Six spearheads on one uniform is absolutely overkill.  But the most nagging brainworm of this set is the fact that they designed a brand new stripe pattern for the sleeve (Obviously as a "house" for the spear) but kept the authentic throwback stripe on the socks.  Mismatched stripes between sleeves and socks are always a deal breaker for me.  (Come to think of it, Washington is still making this mistake.)

What if we used those colors on the current template, changed the sock stripes to reflect the cuff/pants stripes, and kept the spear helmet (with yellow facemask)? Road uniform would be white over burgundy over white, as is customary. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It was the Redskins' 70th season, so that most likely explains the throwbacks. The 49ers wore throwbacks during the 1994 season (NFL 75th anniversary season), and they were allowed to wear them throughout the season, including the Super Bowl.

I don't remember there being white versions of these at the time, only the home red ones.

BONbHmi.jpg

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

28 minutes ago, DouglasQuaid said:

I love these uniforms, however I think they'd look better off with the throwback logo on the leaves rather than the stripes.

Redskin1.jpg

That's an interesting idea.   No new jersey designs should include sleeve stripes, since jerseys no longer have sleeves.  If you're going to tweak an old design anyway, might as well make it work on modern templates. 

3 hours ago, slapshot said:

It was the Redskins' 70th season, so that most likely explains the throwbacks. The 49ers wore throwbacks during the 1994 season (NFL 75th anniversary season), and they were allowed to wear them throughout the season, including the Super Bowl.

I don't remember there being white versions of these at the time, only the home red ones.

BONbHmi.jpg

The white aways weren't as popular as the red homes, but the Niners definitely wore them:

001310782.jpg

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

Archived