The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Anyway, FanHouse came up with an interesting idea in this post: have the MLB work like European soccer, with an A league and a B league - contenders go in the A league, and underachievers go in the B league.

Good luck getting fans in Major League cities to pay Major League ticket prices for a team that for all intents and purposes is considered Minor League.

-Dan

The only way this works is if say the playoffs consist of 6 "A League" teams and 2 "B League" teams.

6fQjS3M.png

Anyway, FanHouse came up with an interesting idea in this post: have the MLB work like European soccer, with an A league and a B league - contenders go in the A league, and underachievers go in the B league.

Good luck getting fans in Major League cities to pay Major League ticket prices for a team that for all intents and purposes is considered Minor League.

-Dan

The only way this works is if say the playoffs consist of 6 "A League" teams and 2 "B League" teams.

Which would be stupid for a lot of reasons.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

-Dan

Which would be stupid for a lot of reasons.

Exactly.

6fQjS3M.png

Hey, I'm not necessarily agreeing with them... but there does need to be a way of punishing the teams with stingy owners that nobody goes to the games for anyway. I'm more in support of a harsh salary cap and a harsh salary floor - this will make big spenders like the Yankees pare back and actually have to fairly compete with the rest of the league, and it will make cheap, lazy owners pump more money into their teams to make them competitive. Not sure why they haven't done that yet.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Not to start a whole thing, but why are realignment threads so frowned upon?

-Dan

Because every single goddam time someone brings up a realignment, the same 50 idiots show up and post their ideas, and the thread turns in to nothing but postings of realigned leagues with expansion teams that don't make any sense.

In my opinion (which counts for next to nothing, if not nothing), realignment threads aren't the worst thing in the world, except that everyone will feel the need to start their own thread, and the board would be littered with them. You'd need a whole forum just for that.

The worst is when there's a perfectly good thread going on, then one jackass posts his idea for how the league would be aligned if the Jags move to LA, then, like roaches, every other idiot comes out of the woodwork to join the party and derail the thread.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

-Dan

Because every single goddam time someone brings up a realignment, the same 50 idiots show up and post their ideas, and the thread turns in to nothing but postings of realigned leagues with expansion teams that don't make any sense.

In my opinion (which counts for next to nothing, if not nothing), realignment threads aren't the worst thing in the world, except that everyone will feel the need to start their own thread, and the board would be littered with them. You'd need a whole forum just for that.

The worst is when there's a perfectly good thread going on, then one jackass posts his idea for how the league would be aligned if the Jags move to LA, then, like roaches, every other idiot comes out of the woodwork to join the party and derail the thread.

Agree but the people who feel the need to post a picture sentence do as much to derail a thread as the op posting the realignment suggestion. It's along the lines of IBTL and such; pure post padding.

-Dan

By the time any of those pictures or IBTLs get posted, it's already too late.

Agree but the people who feel the need to post a picture sentence do as much to derail a thread as the op posting the realignment suggestion. It's along the lines of IBTL and such; pure post padding.

-Dan

-Dan

Sure, but how many instances of derailment could have been avoided if people had simply ignored the realignment post instead of quoting it and drawing more attention to it?

-Dan

Sure, but how many instances of derailment could have been avoided if people had simply ignored the realignment post instead of quoting it and drawing more attention to it?

IMHO, zero.

Once the first idiot chimes in, the others are drawn in somehow. It's like bed bugs or roaches - if you see one, you know there are a hundred others lurking. All it takes is for one realignment post with some stupid suggestion, and then there are others who can't help but think that they can do better, and next thing you know, one stupid post becomes two which becomes four which becomes eight...

Trying to get this back on track, here's some of my ideas for a realigned NBA.

Idea 1(Imagine there's no conferences):

Atlantic: Boston, Brooklyn, New York, Philadelphia, Toronto, Washington

Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Indiana, Milwaukee, Minnesota

Midwest: Dallas, Denver, Houston, Oklahoma City, San Antonio, Utah

Pacific: Golden State, LA Clippers, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Portland, Sacramento

Southern: Atlanta, Charlotte, Memphis, Miami, New Orleans, Orlando

Scheduling: 6 games against divisional foes

2 games vs everyone else(plus 1 additional game vs. teams who finish in the same position as you)

Playoffs: 16 teams(1-5 go to divisional champions)

1st Round: 2-game, total points

Quarterfinals: best-of-3

Semifinals: best-of-5

NBA Finals: best-of-7

Idea 2(NFL style-conferences)

American East: Brooklyn, Charlotte, Orlando, Philadelphia, Toronto

American Central: Detroit, Indiana, Memphis, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City

American West: Golden State, LA Clippers, Portland, San Antonio, Utah

National East: Atlanta, Boston, Miami, New York, Washington

National Central: Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Minnesota, New Orleans

National West: Dallas, Houston, LA Lakers, Phoenix, Sacramento

Scheduling & Playoffs: same as now.

Edited by buzzcut

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Trying to get this back on track, here's some of my ideas for a realigned NBA.

Now that's funny.

agreed, although what's funnier is his idea for the first round. 2 games, total points?

You actually read it?

Just saw the playoffs and thinking wtf

MLB, if the A's and Rays pull up stakes:

AL East:

Boston

NY Yankees

Baltimore

Toronto

Indianapolis Arrows (formerly the Rays)

AL Central:

Detroit

Chicago White Sox

Cleveland

Milwaukee

Minnesota

AL West:

LA Angels

Seattle

Kansas City

Las Vegas, Portland, Sacramento, or Utah A's

Texas

NL East:

NY Mets

Philadelphia

Washington

Florida

Atlanta

NL Central:

St. Louis

Chicago Cubs

Houston

Pittsburgh

Cincinatti

NL West:

Colorado

Arizona

San Francisco

San Diego

LA Dodgers

Disregarding the odd-numbered leagues and keeping rivalries (Rays/Arrows with Red Sox and Yankees) intact.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

MLS 2020:

1. Atlanta Silverbacks (expansion club, 2020; club owned by Fulham FC)
  2. Boston Minutemen (New England Revolution rebrand)
  3. Chicago Fire SC
  4. Colorado Rapids
  5. Columbus Crew
  6. Dallas Sidekicks (FC Dallas rebrand)
  7. DC United
  8. Houston Dynamo
  9. Kansas City Wizards
  10. Los Angeles Galaxy
  11. Barca Miami (expansion club, 2016; club owned by FC Barcelona)
  12. Minnesota Thunder (expansion club, 2020)
  13. Montreal Impact (expansion club, 2012)
  14. New York Cosmos (Red Bull New York rebrand)
  15. Philadelphia Union
  16. Portland Timbers
  17. Real Salt Lake (club owned by Real Madrid)
  18. Saint Louis United (expansion club, 2012; former AC St. Louis)
  19. CD San Diego (CD Chivas USA rebrand and relocation; club owned by Toluca)
  20. San Jose Earthquakes
  21. Seattle Sounders FC
  22. Tampa Bay Rowdies (expansion club, 2016)
  23. Toronto FC
  24. Vancouver Whitecaps

MLS 2020:

3. Chicago Fire SC
  4. Colorado Rapids
  5. Columbus Crew
  7. DC United
  8. Houston Dynamo
  9. Kansas City Wizards
  10. Los Angeles Galaxy
  15. Philadelphia Union
  16. Portland Timbers
  20. San Jose Earthquakes
  21. Seattle Sounders FC
  23. Toronto FC
  24. Vancouver Whitecaps

Any expansion / realignment proposal for any sport in any league in any universe in any place in the space-time continuum that doesn't include Winnipeg simply cannot be taken seriously.

MLS 2020:

3. Chicago Fire SC
  4. Colorado Rapids
  5. Columbus Crew
  7. DC United
  8. Houston Dynamo
  9. Kansas City Wizards
  10. Los Angeles Galaxy
  15. Philadelphia Union
  16. Portland Timbers
  20. San Jose Earthquakes
  21. Seattle Sounders FC
  23. Toronto FC
  24. Vancouver Whitecaps

Any expansion / realignment proposal for any sport in any league in any universe in any place in the space-time continuum that doesn't include Winnipeg simply cannot be taken seriously.

I did not envision Winnipeg as a viable market as their current stadium doesn't have sufficient seating capacity. That, and there are grumblings on the message boards that the club might move to Phoenix.

:P