Okay, and now for my top choice in "The Battle..."

#1...The Seattle Krāken

No surprise here. I've been beating the Krāken drum since 2014 when I featured that concept in my "4 New NHL Teams..." thread...

spacer.png

I'm not sure where the name came from (it was already kicking around when I did the above topic...maybe from a previous Seattle brush with the NHL?), 

but Krāken has a relevance with the Seattle area. First of all... that big, blue thing on Seattle's horizon makes a nautical name very relevant...And "Krāken" is a great nautical name. It suggests the power, mystery, danger, and legendary qualities of the ocean. As shown in the next graphic...NASA identifies a large population of giant squid just off the north Pacific coast; lots of squid & octopi in Puget Sound; a famous lounge bar and a local craft beer carry the monicker; a Seattle bike rack; and, aren't there stories of a mysterious, tentacled monster (octopus?) living under the Tacoma Narrows Bridge?...

spacer.png

to be continued...

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pilots look way too muddy. The teal is too dark, blending with the black despite separation. They just look like the Sharks if they added gold to replace silver/orange. I’d brighten the teal or change up the color scheme completely.

I do like the inclusion of the sea lion logo, since I like that name and identity more than Pilots.

On 7/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, SFGiants58 said:

The Pilots look way too muddy. The teal is too dark, blending with the black despite separation. They just look like the Sharks if they added gold to replace silver/orange. I’d brighten the teal or change up the color scheme completely.

I do like the inclusion of the sea lion logo, since I like that name and identity more than Pilots.

I agree with you on both comments, SF...

First of all, the black does muddy-it-up a bit...Better to drop the black completely...

spacer.png

I prefer the "SeaLions" name too, but I haven't been aware of it getting much support.

Actually, I placed "Pilots" in at #3, but the more I think about, the more I believe that NHLSeattle will not use a re-cycled name, but go with something new.

If I was a betting man, I'd put my money on "Sockeyes", with a Coast-Salish-style...with a logo designed by local artist Louis Gong.

Guest darkpiranha
On 7/18/2019 at 6:45 AM, sparky chewbarky said:

...interesting 👍...

Yes.  Very interesting.  Love the color combo.  However, also interestingly, it now looks more like a fish than a sea lion (the tail is of course still a sea lion). And that's not necessarily a bad thing.  What if you go fully into making this look try to fit the Sockeye concept?

17 hours ago, darkpiranha said:

Yes.  Very interesting.  Love the color combo.  However, also interestingly, it now looks more like a fish than a sea lion (the tail is of course still a sea lion). And that's not necessarily a bad thing.  What if you go fully into making this look try to fit the Sockeye concept?

I thought it was a salmon, and was supposed to be a salmon, to change up from the sea lion in the original. I like it, myself.

rATMcmK.png

• 1 month later...

Hello Gang...

Hope everyone had a great summer...I keep trying to wrap this up, but Seattle keeps postponing their name/logo decision so...I'll keep pokin' away at it 'til the name is finalized.

...Anyway, back to the "Krāken". 

I've made a couple of recent changes to the concept. On the away uniforms, I referred to a nautical flag letter "S", to design the front of the sweater. The addition of the blue-ish patch turns the entire sweater front into the above-mentioned "S" (for Seattle) flag...

spacer.png

It also allows me to not-have-to put a dark key-line around the 2 arms of the gold trident (they'd get a little lost on a white background.

So here are the new logos, homes and aways...

spacer.png

I now have a "flight" of 4 sweater options for the Krāken, in the dark Pacific Green/Gold/White...

spacer.png

I've also been playing around with my "Evergreens" concept.

IMO, "Evergreens" and "Emeralds" are 2 names that are real dark-horses in the process.

They just might slide in under the radar because the other front-runners (Kraken, Sockeyes, Totems) are all so-o-o contentious!!!

Of the two "E-names", I prefer "Evergreens" because...

- I'd much rather hear "Go Greens Go" than "Go Ems GO" 😞...

- "Evergreens" would connect better with a plaid element (which, I think, Seattle should strongly consider)

For logo inspiration, I've reached way-y-y back to the days when cut felt crests were stitched onto the sweaters...

spacer.png

That process dictated that logos would need to be super-simple, and so I've gone ultra-traditional with a simple "S" logo and a script-letter secondary...

spacer.png

A little too simple? Maybe...but super simple logos look great in smaller applications, and larger versions could be enhanced with embroidery (see the newest Sabres gold-stitched logo) or with plaid, or with both...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The basic "S" and script works well with merchandise and other stuff...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, as with the "Krāken", here's my latest flight of Evergreens sweaters...

spacer.png

Thanks for dropping by ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Adidas Hockey has done a great job with the Dallas Stars Winter Classic sweater...

spacer.png

I mention this because... it's this "embroidered die-cut felt" technique on the logos and numbers, that I was suggesting for the Seattle Evergreens,

to give it that very vintage feel/look...

I was trying to replicate that look through photoshop, but the Stars jersey shows how this style would REALLY look...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well hot dang, I love your new direction for the Evergeens concept.  That just shot it up to my top tier of your concepts.  I love love love the S logo, especially with your explanation of the old school felt stitching and such - I do agree at times it looks like a 5, but with the hockey sticks on your apparel graphic, there’s no mistaking it.  The script logo is great, too. I wasn’t a huge fan of the two tones of green concept before, but it’s grown on me and I’m liking it way more now. It’s weird - it think a touch of yellow or yellow/maroon would make it visually even better (and a nod to the Sonics and Storm) but just having the two greens and white definitely gives it a more unique identity.

(btw, I think the Stars should make their new stadium series logo their permanent logo, but that’s just me)

Love that you incorporated your fantastic sea lion logo in to your Pilots concept.  And the new S logo is really nice on that too. 

I also like the redesign on the logos for the Kraken (and that line that emphasizes the long A is a nice touch.  Now I can’t say “Crack-en” anymore, lol).  I do miss the taking out of the red elements though, but it’s all good.

BTW, Fremont Brewing’s Sky Kraken is a delicious beer.  It’s in regular rotation in my refrigerator.

Great work as always, Sparky!

• 1 month later...

Archived