What’s the worst mlb logo

The Rockies by a mile and it's not even close.

A complete overhaul isn't need they just need to use their mountain logo as the primary and then create a new secondary logo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

I guess this is an unpopular opinion, but i actually really like the brewers identity for the most part. Navy and gold is pretty unique and their script has character that imo looks good on a baseball jersey but would also look good in a bar or on a beer bottle. 

I'm honestly surprised it gets so much hate. 

On the last page I addressed why looking like something a beer company would use is rather trivial for a baseball team, but here's why metallic gold doesn't work on baseball jerseys.

5ac05e31d1119.image.jpg?resize=1200,764

Can you even see the gold trim on the numbers without zooming in?  For gold to work on a standard road gray, it needs another outline to separate it from the gray.  Double outlines are hard to pull off, and come off as superfluous when a better color could just be chosen. 

This was never a problem when the Brewers used a proper yellow-gold... and that script would look even better on a beer can. ?

42967_01_lg.jpg

2 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

Also the numbers have a shadow drop.

They have one.  A gold one.  The wordmark adds a second dropshadow, a navy one.  Why is that?

2 hours ago, a-a-ron_balaky said:

The Times New Roman fits the style and brewer style.

Care to elaborate on that?  Because I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

22 hours ago, tron1013 said:

1200px-Cleveland_Indians_logo.svg.png

I think this is absolutely wrong, because the original is worse. While the current Wahoo is a racist caricature and they are overdue to retire it and I'm glad to see he's on the way out, this isn't even the worst version of him. Some claim that the use of red is racist in and of itself, which is fair, but I think the fact that it's a team color kinda gives you leeway. But still... the truly worst MLB logo of all-time is this thing:

chiefwahooorig.png

This :censored: straight up reminds me of anti-Semitic Nazi propaganda. It's sickening to look at. Maybe it's just because I grew up with the current chief, but racism doesn't jump out at me nearly as hard (even though I'm WELL aware of its racism).

Actually, let's see it in red just to make it worse:

y8xwuY0E_W6uabdlkSt76nyzyXZ-bHtA3EDTIxSU

If we ignore societal context and go purely on aesthetics:

July%208th%20&%2010th%20-%20Sports%20Log

Followed distantly by this guy:

3iq0m3k6k0jy.png

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

The Brewers current look is unmitigated garbage.  Just compare the old primary logo to their jersey script.

ophgazfdzfdkeugut9bdw3iyz.png

ttfelv66500qiz4fenp9hphn5.png

Any time you have to rotate a script to fit it on a logo, that ought to be a huge warning sign.

And the outlines!  Oh, the outlines.  Nobody's ever been able to give me a good reason why the jersey script should have a second, navy, drop shadow, when neither the numbers nor the NOB has it.

7153df61-c77c-4234-9bca-d5d6db8634b4.jpg636583020741644779-MJS-BREWERS03-38-WOOD

Also, Times New Roman?  Really?  I know people like to call athletic block "generic", but there's nothing more generic than a font that is literally the default font in Microsoft Word.

Plus they lose a million points for "Brewers" on the road jerseys.  Don't be ashamed of your town, boys.

To be fair, that jersey script only has 1 outline..

Not sure why the navy shadow isn't on the numbers (NOB's don't always have to follow the same rules imo), but with a better hold it could be dropped altogether or simply added to the numbers.. Either way, very minor tweak..

The biggest issue is the number/NOB font.. Get something with a little character that meshes with the identity and looks acceptable as an athletic numeral.. 

3 hours ago, WavePunter said:

To be fair, that jersey script only has 1 outline..

It has a second dropshadow, though.  Not present anywhere else.

Why did they feel the need to add that second dropshadow?  Because without it the thin gold shadow disappears against the white?  The existence of the second shadow demonstrates that they were all-too-aware of the weaknesses of their design. 

4 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Still horrible (and horrifying) nonetheless..

I’ll warrant that it’s not a great logo, but in its original form it’s hardly horrifying. 

One of my pet peeves; that bad flat version is one of the (many) historical inaccuracies spread by the mothership.  

PADRES no doubt. It is about the most forgettable look in all of US pro sports period (the Hurricanes would be a close second). The navy and white color scheme is boring as all hell and should only be used by the Yankees and Tigers (considering they're old and classic teams with classic identities). At least the Marlins, Brewers, and Rockies all have unique colors. Their uniforms are inconsistent and unmemorable, their logo is a freaking cap logo, and they have a great former logo in the swinging friar. While the Padres have never had a memorable look, they at least had different colors in the past. Now, its just inexcusable...

59d079d580ab2_SL.netbannercopy.gif.b34a0491e0c5e4344fa6fc764ec2043e.gif

NYC x STL

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

It has a second dropshadow, though.  Not present anywhere else.

Why did they feel the need to add that second dropshadow?  Because without it the thin gold shadow disappears against the white?  The existence of the second shadow demonstrates that they were all-too-aware of the weaknesses of their design. 

I'd argue that any unfinished artwork could be viewed as weak, and adding the necessary details to finish it off are what gives it strength.. 

That doesn't necessarily mean that's what happened here, but I think it's a valid point nonetheless..

Sticking to designated primaries, as defined by the mothership

NL1250_pittsburgh_pirates-primary-2014.png

AL5753472014.gif

Single colour letters make for awful primary logos.

Weirdly enough, I love both of these(okay, like in the indians case) as cap logos. As as cap logos, the pirates is one of the best in the national league.

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

On 6/1/2018 at 4:22 PM, NicDB said:

biggermillertimeline.jpg

Off topic, but 1998 is the sweet spot between classic and contemporary.  Good looking can.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, mjd77 said:

On the bight side for the Brewers, the powder blues are coming out today against the White Sox, yellow panel cap and all.  Should look great.

They do!
34191605_10155174636471673_6426024858756

Archived