Isles Officially Unveil New Third Jersey

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've ever seen a white yoke I've really liked, but I think the Islanders could own this idea, keeping the yoke (not going all the way down the sleeves like below) and adding orange stripes . It would echo their beloved four stripes.

AllStar52.png

On 10/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, when listing the teams whose locality name is a state, such as the Minnesota and Arizona teams, always remember to include the Islanders.

So it’s just an accident that they share their colors with the NYC flag?

6 hours ago, Cosmic said:

Actually, blue and orange are also the colors of Nassau County, where they play. 

But the notion that the Islanders are named after the state is fanciful at best.

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

Actually, blue and orange are also the colors of Nassau County, where they play. 

But the notion that the Islanders are named after the state is fanciful at best.

I googled that before I posted, but all the Nassau County insignia I found seemed to include a strongish yellow element in addition to the blue and orange. From what I’ve seen, omitting yellow in a Nassau County tribute would kind of defeat the purpose, but maybe it was different in the 70s.

They use a lot of gold in their seal, to be sure. But when Nassau County needs to show official colors, it’s just the two. Check out the ribbons on this Nassau County Proclamation (and no, the sticker doesn’t count ;) ).

pix-proclamations-curran-nassau-county-m

The official county colors are blue and orange. Same as the city. The Islanders represent the city, and especially its eastern suburbs. If they really intended “New York” to mean the state, they’d have chosen gold instead of orange. 

7 hours ago, Cosmic said:
On 10/1/2018 at 4:05 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Anyway, when listing the teams whose locality name is a state, such as the Minnesota and Arizona teams, always remember to include the Islanders.

Their colours are from the Nassau County flag.

us-ny-nc.gif

The fact that the team creates a nonexistent version of Long Island that excises Queens and Brooklyn should tell you that it has nothing to do with New York City.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Their colours are from the Nassau County flag.

us-ny-nc.gif

The fact that the team creates a nonexistent version of Long Island that excises Queens and Brooklyn should tell you that it has nothing to do with New York City.

So how many times have the Islanders worn yellow, since they're based off the blue/orange/yellow Nassau flag instead of the blue/orange NYC flag?

@Gothamite said it best... if they were aiming for the whole of NYS, they left about 90% of the state off the logo.

The missing Brooklyn and Queens tells me they were aiming for the white flight suburbanites from NYC's dark days of the 70s that wanted to pretend they had nothing to do with the city that they were inexorably linked to. But still the NYC market, and not Schenectady or Skaneateles. There's even a book out recently that says the owners wanted to revive the Americans name, but were denied by the NHL (there's an interview on Good Seats Still Available).

6 hours ago, insert name said:

The Islanders represent Long Island and Long Island only. When they won their 4 Stanley Cups, the parades were held in out in Hempstead, not Lower Manhattan. 

Yeah, I don’t think that’s true.  Sure, Long Island is their obvious focus, but they do have a toehold in the city itself.

And back in their earliest days they helped run the WHA out of New York City.

Also just to tack onto the blue and orange theme in Nassau County, the county does pretty much use it in all official capacities. The police cars have blue and orange striping, signs for parks have blue and orange on them, and before the county nixed the county roads system, the county road signs were orange with blue lettering. So although it does have a connection with the NYC area in general, it is extremely prevalent around here.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

On 10/1/2018 at 12:50 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I like the sleeve stripes.  But the shoulder yoke looks pretty bad.  This should be a solid blue sweater; that would have made the sleeve stripes stand out more.  And the stripes at the bottom should be above the hem, with some blue below it. 

I'm a stickler for traditionalist-type striping on jerseys.  I think the sleeves look fine.  But the waist stripes are weak, I hate when they have two thin lines at the bottom of a jersey with no base color below it, as you pointed out.  There should be some continuity with the sleeve and waist stripes, but there is none here.  Shoulder yokes could be improved with an orange trim.  Not sure what I think about the crest yet....

In their inception they had no NYC identity and I doubt they have any now.  Before the Islanders came along all of my many hockey friends on the Island were Ranger fans, as I was  (right after the Seals).  I went to many games those first 3 seasons because it was a chance to see NHL hockey and I didn't mind seeing mostly expansion and lower-tier teams (my friend's dad didn't want to drive us to games against Montreal, Boston, Chicago, etc. because of the traffic) because i was more interested in lousy teams anyway.  Only TWO of my hockey friends declared themselves Islander fans from day one.  All the rest of us were just there to see NHL hockey.  When the Islanders got better, the Ranger-Islander rivalry was pretty intense and I didn't see any Ranger fans getting on the Islander bandwagon when they were winning Cups, although there were a lot of johnny-come-lately hockey fans who were suddenly die-hard Islander fans.

1 hour ago, SealsFan said:

Only TWO of my hockey friends declared themselves Islander fans from day one.  All the rest of us were just there to see NHL hockey.

That’s actually pretty common when a second team comes to an area.  A lot of the real die-hards stick with their original team, and the newcomer has to recruit new people to the sport as much as convert existing fans. 

Archived