Rant - What football league will you support in 2020

Matthew24

Okay, never did a topic here but I need some guidance with this and maybe i can try to explain my case. Don't know if anyone did this or not but here my rant.

Back in 2013 I heard about the A11FL or All-11 Football League. A league that tried to be different by changing the rules to allow anyone to catch the ball or something like that. I was really gearing up for it and ready to support the return of the Tampa Bay Bandits since I love the logo and the original team anyways. But then out of nowhere it died due to lack of funds and creative differences. It is a werid trend of leagues either trying to be the top dog or being a minor league feeder system to the NFL. We had MLFB (Major League Football) and it failed to start. I know the UFL and XFL 1.0 did get off the ground but failed to last. Either by not being able to fund the league or just being bad and sometimes unwatchable.

Then last year, a shimmer of hope debut. The Alliance of American Football was announced and sure enough it debut just a month back. But then almost quickly died due to funds. I'm glad it was saved but now i have an issues. I know stadium attendance is an issue, which is one of my problems with playing early spring time football. But sadly I might get attacked for the next two reason. One is that the NFL pretty much dominate to the point where no one really cares about another league. In the age of the internet there so many things we can watch and sports is one of them. I could watch Arena Football League (which is a minor issue i have with American football), or the Canadian Football League or other sports. I watch rugby or baseball or even soccer from leagues in Germany and England. Point is that there other things we could be watching then spring time football. Plus the NFL is really stubborn in learning and adapting for a new generation of fans. Concussion and stupid stuff that the players do on their off time is a problem and yet the owners don't want to deal with it or don't care.

But with the XFL 2.0,  Freedom Football League or the American Patriot League, think i missing a few also... There more opportunity for players and fans to watch american gridiron football outside of the NFL. This is to me the an Renascence of Alternative American Football. I am not saying it a bad thing, far from it. I want it to happen to help grow the game and give players it dues. But it makes me wonder how long it will last before the bubble burst. With soccer growing (MLS is growing in popularity, despite to me not being a huge fan of it. the recent but finally resoved issues with Columbus Crew SC bring to like the USSA and sports in the American biggest problems), it a matter of time before something slips and one of the other popular sports takes the NFL spot at number 1.

But i will like to ask you guys a question. What league will you support in 2020 and beyond. Either the older, well establish National Football League or the alternative leagues? I honestly want to hear what everyone says about it. I been bothering me for a long time and never got a chance to explain it to anyone. Hope you guys provide feedback and I will respond the best i can. Thanks for reading and have a great day.

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Matthew24 said:

Forgot to add the CFL. They count as an alternative due to different rules and field of play. My mistake.

They were around before those leagues were conceived and will be around after those leagues die.

22 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

They were around before those leagues were conceived and will be around after those leagues die.

I know but none really take that step for the future before falling from grace. Think the last last successful league to last a year or more was the United Football League. If we bring the CFL into the picture then I will consider myself wrong. As it stands, UFL lasted longer then the USFL at three and a half years.

NFL. 

For it all of its faults, it’s still by far my favorite league. I’ll probably never stop watching it for as long as I live tbh. I don’t know what that says about me as a person, but there you go. 

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Why can’t I like multiple things?

The NFL is still the NFL. Love it.

The AAF has been a lot of fun. 

The XFL will have a local team. Of course I’ll check them out. 

The CFL will remain a favourite of mine. 

This isn’t an “all-in on one thing” situation. 

21 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Just set back & enjoy watching what you want... I couldn’t agree more with this post...

If you "have" an NFL team and live in an NFL town, chances are you've been emotionally (if not financially) invested in them for a lifetime, and you're just not going to give that up in favor of some minor league team.  Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the other leagues, but it'll never be the same for you.  It's not even worth asking. 

Where it gets interesting is if you are a fan of an NFL team, but don't live near an NFL town, but do live in a minor-league town.  

I don't think it's possible to get too invested and supportive of a minor-league squad, because almost by definition, the players aren't going to be with the team for more than a season or two.  It's the ultimate example of rooting for laundry.  Also, the single-entity model really strips any hometown pride out of the equation, since it's not much different than rooting for a local branch of Target to out sell the branch in Birmingham.

I'll likely never be in that position, but if it's a binary decision, then I don't see how "alternative" football can possibly steal anyone away from the NFL.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

14 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Where it gets interesting is if you are a fan of an NFL team, but don't live near an NFL town, but do live in a minor-league town.  

Question: What if my local NFL team plays like a minor league team? :P 

Kinda surprised with the feedback. Honestly I only watch the NFL if a good game will be showing. Or if it the Cleveland Browns now..

Didn't need to mention the NCAA as it amateur but it worth mentioning them anyways. I still support the NCAA and still hope it will last.

29 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Finally someone gets it.. I know it isn't an "end all and be all" thing. I just wondering if it is a new golden age of American football. Just wanted to know who really want you guys think.

3 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

If you "have" an NFL team and live in an NFL town, chances are you've been emotionally (if not financially) invested in them for a lifetime, and you're just not going to give that up in favor of some minor league team.  Doesn't mean you can't enjoy the other leagues, but it'll never be the same for you.  It's not even worth asking. 

I don't think it's possible to get too invested and supportive of a minor-league squad, because almost by definition, the players aren't going to be with the team for more than a season or two.  It's the ultimate example of rooting for laundry.  Also, the single-entity model really strips any hometown pride out of the equation, since it's not much different than rooting for a local branch of Target to out sell the branch in Birmingham.

I'll likely never be in that position, but if it's a binary decision, then I don't see how "alternative" football can possibly steal anyone away from the NFL.

That the thing. I have no NFL team near me but if the American Patriot League gets off then i will have Shreveport then I could go watch them. But the APL feels off to me and others here too. Don't get me wrong, I will like to live near a NFL or league team. It just that i don't.

When i was a kid I was a Cowboys diehard. I liked Emmitt Smith and how he played back then. But as i grew older my interest moved from just the Cowboys though that just due to growing up. But honestly, if the APL actually make it to it first season and Shreveport plays a good game of football then i will go to Independent Stadium and watch. Only time will tell..

BTW, thanks for everyone who responded so far. Honestly I rarely rant about stuff so it helps to get it off my back.

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

[too long - didn't read]

Um.. okay. Still thanks for at-least commenting

UGM0h8W.gif

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't think it's possible to get too invested and supportive of a minor-league squad, because almost by definition, the players aren't going to be with the team for more than a season or two. 

Eh, I grew up in a minor league town. The Kitchener Rangers OHL team, like all Canadian junior teams, exists to turn teenagers into NHL-ready rookies. 

Which, as an aside, was a bit weird in retrospect. My sports fandom was at its most rabid when I was in high school, which meant I was cheering for kids my own age, some of whom I went to school with. 

Regardless? The transitory nature didn’t turn the Rangers into an afterthought. They never eclipsed the Maple Leafs in popularity but they have their niche and people continue to turn out to support them. 

In so far as the AAF goes? I caught a game in person, and it was a fun, energetic experience. That doesn’t detract from my NFL fandom, but you know. It’s its own thing.

Which brings me to...

23 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

but if it's a binary decision, then I don't see how "alternative" football can possibly steal anyone away from the NFL.

I don’t see why it needs to be a binary decision. Again, the Kitchener Rangers existing doesn’t take away from the Maple Leafs’ fandom in Kitchener-Waterloo. It’s just this side thing people also enjoy. 

Yeah, the NFL is going to be dominant for quite some time. Concussion issues and all, the NBA and MLS's current spike in popularity does not seem sustainable due to the former being hilariously unequal with 4 superteams that can compete for a title every year with 26 others being SOL and the latter being very cost-controlled even at the expense of competitiveness of the league as a whole i.e. a case of the worst aspects of both prevailing economic theories as applied to sports. I could be very wrong, but I'm not seeing the NFL take a nosedive in popularity for a long time.

As for the rest of the minor football leagues in the US (the CFL is AAAA as far as I'm concerned), I give the AAF the best shot at long-term viability right now but I'm definitely going to take a trip on I-70 to the East to see the XFL team in St. Louis at least once.

3 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

This for me too.  I don't care for APL or FFL.

Agreed.  Many people have multiple teams in many leagues.  Especially when they’re different levels of competition. 

I don’t even fault people for following one club in the AL and one in the NL.  Why would I have an issue with somebody enjoying minor league sports as much as the big league?

So many people will tell you you're doing sports wrong.  Ignore them.

Archived