Arena Football News & Updates

The Oregon Blackbears held an exhibition match last night against the Washington Wolfpack and oof. No goalposts for this game, at least not this week. The boards seem to be merely fencing used for ag and animal pens during the state fair. There was no visible game or play clock. The Blackbear uniforms were what they have been using for practice, which were hand me down uniforms from the Oregon High Desert Storm and were being passed off as "a tribute to Oregons previous team". Finally, the roof. 5 out of 8 kickoffs hit the beams. It was described as intrusive as cars when playing street hockey. I know this was just an exhibition, but good god thats not good. Thats worse than what I thought it was going to be.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

Signature intentionally left blank

I am not exaggerating when I say, outside of the fan seating, our kids have a better setup for indoor flag football at the local rec center.

If anyone want to set a line on how many teams finish the season I'm all ears. Right now I'm seeing two in Salem and Louisiana that I'm not sure will even start it.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Dilbert said:

The Oregon Blackbears held an exhibition match last night against the Washington Wolfpack and oof. No goalposts for this game, at least not this week. The boards seem to be merely fencing used for ag and animal pens during the state fair. There was no visible game or play clock. The Blackbear uniforms were what they have been using for practice, which were hand me down uniforms from the Oregon High Desert Storm and were being passed off as "a tribute to Oregons previous team". Finally, the roof. 5 out of 8 kickoffs hit the beams. It was described as intrusive as cars when playing street hockey. I know this was just an exhibition, but good god thats not good. Thats worse than what I thought it was going to be.

spacer.pngspacer.png

I was at that game, and you have quoted my Facebook post nearly verbatim 🤣 Let’s not copy and paste, please and thank you.

OITGDAFL, am I right, arena ball fans?

• LOL 1

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

53 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

I am not exaggerating when I say, outside of the fan seating, our kids have a better setup for indoor flag football at the local rec center.

If anyone want to set a line on how many teams finish the season I'm all ears. Right now I'm seeing two in Salem and Louisiana that I'm not sure will even start it.

Sadly, I am inclined to agree. If the Blackbears complete more than 3 consecutive regular season games, I will be shocked. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Frylock said:

I was at that game, and you have quoted my Facebook post nearly verbatim 🤣 Let’s not copy and paste, please and thank you.

OITGDAFL, am I right, arena ball fans?

Ha! Didnt realize that was you. Small world.  No ill intent here. Just posting what I saw on Facebook and thought it was worthy of a share. Seriously though I knew from the start that this league wasnt  going to be a "professional" league. Some teams are operating like a professional team, others like Oregon here are merely posing as professional but are no better than a YMCA rec team.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

The AFL's Iowa Rampage hosted a pre-season game against the Omaha Stockmen:

Looks better than Oregons operation but not up to par with others.

4 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Ha! Didnt realize that was you. Small world.  No ill intent here. Just posting what I saw on Facebook and thought it was worthy of a share. Seriously though I knew from the start that this league wasnt  going to be a "professional" league. Some teams are operating like a professional team, others like Oregon here are merely posing as professional but are no better than a YMCA rec team.

I believe ya, bud. I know you’re a good one 🙂 I glad you felt it was worthy of sharing! I’m not going to lie… when I first walked into the building and didn’t see any goalposts or nets, I felt like Mugatu. Am I taking crazy pills? I’m grateful I held off on buying a ticket and just snagged one when they were made free. I guess we have to pay money if we want the full arena football experience, including nets LOL

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

What is that barn they're playing in? Why is the roof so low? Is it next to an airport?

It’s the Pavillion at the Oregon State Fairgrounds in Salem, OR. There isn’t a bad seat in the building, but yeah. Low roof. Concerts are interesting in there. My lame claim to fame is that Weird Al tapped me on the shoulder there, as he walked through my aisle during his concert.

And no it’s not near an airport. That’s on the other side of town, and such a joke of an airport, too. I guess we at least have daily flights to LA and Vegas, so, yay Salem?

33 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

That's not uncommon with minor league teams. Saves them a lot and costs them just two season tickets usually. 

But this is supposed to be the premiere indoor football league paying their players more than the UFL.

I agree with everyone else.  I don't see this league making a full season.  

2 hours ago, PTrudellJr said:

But this is supposed to be the premiere indoor football league paying their players more than the UFL.

I agree with everyone else.  I don't see this league making a full season.  

The league will survive. How many teams do is the big question. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

The league will survive. How many teams do is the big question. 

I'm thinking they expected more teams to jump from the NAL and IFL, and that when the NEL or AIFA slop they can move teams to those spots and bring the names into the league.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm thinking they expected more teams to jump from the NAL and IFL, and that when the NEL or AIFA slop they can move teams to those spots and bring the names into the league.

The AFL put a team in Phoenix known as the Outlaws despite the fact that the Arizona Rattlers (who play in the IFL) have a 3 decade head start in the area, which is a stupid move by the AFL.  

• Like 2

According to posts in the ArenaFan message board, the games that were to have been carried by the NFL Network are now off that channel's schedule.

It is entirely a matter of speculation whether someone at the AFL didn't make a payment, or whether the NFL Network was scared off by the Iowa Rampage's preseason game that was shown on YouTube and/or by the pictures of the Oregon Blackbears' preseason game that that team shared.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

13 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

According to posts in the ArenaFan message board, the games that were to have been carried by the NFL Network are now off that channel's schedule.

It is entirely a matter of speculation whether someone at the AFL didn't make a payment, or whether the NFL Network was scared off by the Iowa Rampage's preseason game that was shown on YouTube and/or by the pictures of the Oregon Blackbears' preseason game that that team shared.

On the NFL Network schedule, I see one game showing on Thursday 2-May at 20:00 EDT with a repeat at 00:30 on 3-May.

• Like 1