Arena Football News & Updates

29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

It's common with the IFL as they have the Frisco (Dallas) Fighters, Bay Area (San Jose) and Duke City (Albuquerque) Gladiators.  

The Bay Area covers a wider area than San Jose, "Duke City" is a nickname for Albuquerque, and Gladiators play in Rio Rancho now.

So this would be like if the IFL teams rebranded to the Rio Rancho Gladiators, Henderson Knight Hawks or Ashwaubenon Blizzard (or if the NFL had the East Rutherford Giants, Inglewood Rams, Santa Clara 49ers, Landover Commanders or Orchard Park Bills, but that's another discussion).

bYhYmxh.png

1 hour ago, Burmy said:

The Bay Area covers a wider area than San Jose, "Duke City" is a nickname for Albuquerque, and Gladiators play in Rio Rancho now.

So this would be like if the IFL teams rebranded to the Rio Rancho Gladiators, Henderson Knight Hawks or Ashwaubenon Blizzard (or if the NFL had the East Rutherford Giants, Inglewood Rams, Santa Clara 49ers, Landover Commanders or Orchard Park Bills, but that's another discussion).

Common doesn't mean required though. If the Gladiators changed to Rio Rancho I'd say that most people wouldn't know the difference. I liked the East Rutherford allusion, because I remember when Madden had to call some pro teams by cities or states that weren't their official title until they got the NFL approval. I also remember Columbus instead of Ohio State for Bill Walsh, now College Football. 

Screen_Shot_2014_07_07_at_2.48.13_PM.png

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Burmy said:

If the IFL wants a more national footprint, then they should have gone with Albuquerque or New Mexico, Dallas (instead of Frisco) and Indiana or Indianapolis instead of Fishers.   Bay Area is fine, but San Jose has the rich history in the sport.  The NFL are the big boys so of course they are going to go with the bigger city as part of their name rather than the suburb they play in.  

AFL QB's so far and many of them are veterans of the IFL and NAL:

Albany Firebirds- Malik Henry
Billings Outlaws- Isaac Harker
Iowa Rampage - Rakeem Cato
Louisiana Voodoo- Andre Sale
Oregon Blackbears- Vincent Espinoza
Orlando Predators- Drew Powell
Salina Liberty- Joseph Hess, Jamario Benson, Javon Kilgo, Derrick Bernard
SW Kansas Storm- Caden Walters
West Texas Desert Hawks- Jonathan Bane and Charles McCullum
Wichita Regulators- Jeff Legree

Not surprising, although the Commissioner says that the talent in the AFL will be good enough to get attention from the NFL and none of these QBs are going to get the attention of the NFL.  

Can we all stop thinking that this incarnation using the name Arena Football has any relation to the AFL of the past, or that it somehow is better than the 'ankle-biting leagues', to borrow a worn out phrase from ArenaFan and its beloved (cough) MalePig?

• Like 3

It's where I sit.

On 12/18/2023 at 3:47 PM, Sec19Row53 said:

Can we all stop thinking that this incarnation using the name Arena Football has any relation to the AFL of the past, or that it somehow is better than the 'ankle-biting leagues', to borrow a worn out phrase from ArenaFan and its beloved (cough) MalePig?

That's a name I never thought I'd hear of again.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I thought they already had announced a uniform supplier. But seeing as I can't recall the name, ordering uniforms from a catalog company makes more sense than that. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 minutes ago, Frylock said:

The Oregon Black Bears (Blackbears? There’s no consensus) shared the same thing on their Facebook page.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the Florida Cyclones? https://www.instagram.com/floridacyclones?igsh=ZWI2YzEzYmMxYg==

People are finding it odd that the Oregon Black Bears owner (New York Giants LB Kayvon Thibodeaux) hasn't mentioned this team on social media but the team has been retweeting anything from the New York Giants or New York media about him. 

Florida was not one of the teams announced.  

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

People are finding it odd that the Oregon Black Bears owner (New York Giants LB Kayvon Thibodeaux) hasn't mentioned this team on social media but the team has been retweeting anything from the New York Giants or New York media about him. 

Florida was not one of the teams announced.  

I find it just as odd. And as for the Florida IG account, the commissioner’s account follows them. I wonder if it was a placeholder if one of the other Florida franchises didn’t move to the AFL…

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

Should it actually happen (it will not,) I imagine it'll go about as well as the North American (baseball) League's entry in Maui, at a time when the circuit had Edmonton, Calgary, Yuma, and Zion, Illinois.

This group can't get its logistics together on what markets will be in the league or what its schedule is, and you're going to expect them to coordinate Hawaiian travel? Furthermore, you're expecting weekend warrior players to commit to that kind of travel in exchange for like $250-500 a week?

• Applause 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

11 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Should it actually happen (it will not,) I imagine it'll go about as well as the North American (baseball) League's entry in Maui, at a time when the circuit had Edmonton, Calgary, Yuma, and Zion, Illinois.

This group can't get its logistics together on what markets will be in the league or what its schedule is, and you're going to expect them to coordinate Hawaiian travel? Furthermore, you're expecting weekend warrior players to commit to that kind of travel in exchange for like $250-500 a week?

Once the team is announced, the Commissioner will say something about the league being heavily funded, and that there is foreign ownership for this Hawaiian team with a lot of cash.  

• 2 weeks later...