Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

41 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I've never been a fan of the stick-in-rink as the primary, because it feels a bit too...I guess basic for a modern NHL logo. It's basically just two outlines, a blue rectangle and a white hockey stick. It works as a throwback, but I feel like it doesn't really benefit from the same impact and iconicity that other simple hockey logos, like Toronto's blue leaf or Detroit's Winged Wheel have; it's basic in an outdated manner rather then an iconic one, in my opinion. 

I agree with that, but I think there's possibility for the rink and stick to work as a primary logo. If you support it well enough with secondary logos and the like, it could exist as the primary chest logo. Doesn't mean everything associated with the Canucks has to be emblazoned only with that and nothing else - the jersey could adopt it much like the Rangers chest text and not have it be the only mark that represents the team. I mean, I'd be fine with the rink and stick being the sole logo for everything, but I understand why people would want there to to be something else. But I think the way design is these days, minimilasing and using simple shapes is the way to go. And it's timeless. Think of the history and coming full circle. It would work. Before too long no one would mind that it was the main logo, and then before too long after that, anyone would freak out at the idea of ditching it again.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BJ Sands said:

The orca would be “way better” if it were the right colors. 

Not being nasty, but the Blackhawks logo is full of the "wrong" colors in relation to the rest of the set (and even as a Wings fan, I love the Hawks' logo and uniforms -- easily top 3 in the league). The orca really just needs some green added to make it "match." Orcas are actually black so in the logo it should stay dark, not some "team colors" (like the Manitoba Moose and other AHL teams that water down their logos to match the parent club).

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

4 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

I've never been a fan of the stick-in-rink as the primary, because it feels a bit too...I guess basic for a modern NHL logo. It's basically just two outlines, a blue rectangle and a white hockey stick. It works as a throwback, but I feel like it doesn't really benefit from the same impact and iconicity that other simple hockey logos, like Toronto's blue leaf or Detroit's Winged Wheel have; it's basic in an outdated manner rather then an iconic one, in my opinion. The flying skate is a similar issue; it's outdated, but it also isn't as basic; it's problem is being really over-designed; slanted text, lines making an image, circles, speedlines, bright colors...it's an utter mess of an identity. Plus for it to work, the Canucks would have to change their colors AGAIN.

Johnny Canuck is the best of the non-orca lot, but then you'd get people who may not know hockey calling them the Vancouver Lumberjacks; plus, at least in my opinion, Johnny isn't quite strong enough on his own merits to stand as a primary logo in the modern age. 

Here's the reality....the Canucks are not a modern day franchise. They are a 1970 NHL franchise, Canada's 3rd oldest, with a 25-year pre-NHL history.

The Stick in Rink C is no different than the likes of the Canadiens' CH, aka. Club de Hockey Canadien. The Islanders have a hockey stick that forms part of the NY in their iconic Crest. Part of the problem with the SiR was that it wasn't given a fair chance to see success, especially in the playoffs. Also, the inverted version needed an upgrade to prevent the green from touching the blue base.

Johnny Canuck inspired the Canucks name and the lumber industry has deep historic roots in BC. Kids at Vancouver Giants games love the Giants logo. There's no reason adults can't enjoy Johnny Canuck, even as a secondary. Many fans would enjoy dressing up as JC, with blue and green plaid shirts, suspenders, a toque and even a fake beard. 

9 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

Here's the reality....the Canucks are not a modern day franchise. They are a 1970 NHL franchise, Canada's 3rd oldest, with a 25-year pre-NHL history.

Being old is no reason to go back to an outdated logo when one can simply improve on a more modern logo. You can absolutely keep the SIR around for a heritage alternate or something, but let's not claim "it's heritage" as the reason to switch to an inferior logo. This isn't Toronto or Montréal where the logo was around for so long that it became utterly iconic. The SIR is vintage, but it is not iconic.

The Stick in Rink C is no different than the likes of the Canadiens' CH, aka. Club de Hockey Canadien. The Islanders have a hockey stick that forms part of the NY in their iconic Crest. Part of the problem with the SiR was that it wasn't given a fair chance to see success, especially in the playoffs. Also, the inverted version needed an upgrade to prevent the green from touching the blue base.

The Canadiens' CH hasn't changed since 1917. The Canucks had the SIR as their primary for 8 years before changing to the Flying V/Skate. There's a significant gap in timescale there. 

Johnny Canuck inspired the Canucks name and the lumber industry has deep historic roots in BC. Kids at Vancouver Giants games love the Giants logo. There's no reason adults can't enjoy Johnny Canuck, even as a secondary. Many fans would enjoy dressing up as JC, with blue and green plaid shirts, suspenders, a toque and even a fake beard. 

I'm not saying Johnny is bad as a logo; far from it. He's just not primary logo material in his current form. The Orca, as maligned as it is in certain subsects of the Canucks fanbase, is iconic. You see that logo, you know it's the Vancouver Canucks. Johnny Canuck could be a logo for any number of hockey teams; Lumberjacks, Timbermen...a name like "Canuck" is not something that is lent to one overwhelming identity. You can do basically anything Canadian with the name "Canuck" and it'd work.

And orcas are exceptionally common in the Pacific Ocean, especially around BC. I think the orca is just as fitting for the location as Johnny Canuck is, so if anything making them a tandem (orca primary, JC secondary) and keeping the SIR and FSkate as heritage alts would be basically the perfect compromise.

Plus, again, this team needs to stick to a consistent base identity for more then like 5 years at a time before "reinventing the brand" again; there's already enough splits as to what the "proper" identity of this team is, we don't need more. Making Johnny the primary alienates the SIR, Flying Skate and Orca fans, making the SIR alienates the Johnny Canuck, Flying Skate and Orca fans, etc.

3 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Being old is no reason to go back to an outdated logo when one can simply improve on a more modern logo. You can absolutely keep the SIR around for a heritage alternate or something, but let's not claim "it's heritage" as the reason to switch to an inferior logo. This isn't Toronto or Montréal where the logo was around for so long that it became utterly iconic. The SIR is vintage, but it is not iconic.

The Canadiens' CH hasn't changed since 1917. The Canucks had the SIR as their primary for 8 years before changing to the Flying V/Skate. There's a significant gap in timescale there. 

I'm not saying Johnny is bad as a logo; far from it. He's just not primary logo material in his current form. The Orca, as maligned as it is in certain subsects of the Canucks fanbase, is iconic. You see that logo, you know it's the Vancouver Canucks. Johnny Canuck could be a logo for any number of hockey teams; Lumberjacks, Timbermen...a name like "Canuck" is not something that is lent to one overwhelming identity. You can do basically anything Canadian with the name "Canuck" and it'd work.

And orcas are exceptionally common in the Pacific Ocean, especially around BC. I think the orca is just as fitting for the location as Johnny Canuck is, so if anything making them a tandem (orca primary, JC secondary) and keeping the SIR and FSkate as heritage alts would be basically the perfect compromise.

Plus, again, this team needs to stick to a consistent base identity for more then like 5 years at a time before "reinventing the brand" again; there's already enough splits as to what the "proper" identity of this team is, we don't need more. Making Johnny the primary alienates the SIR, Flying Skate and Orca fans, making the SIR alienates the Johnny Canuck, Flying Skate and Orca fans, etc.

Well said sir.

15 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

It's a photoshop

Correct it is. I just wanted to see what the logo would look like on the home template. I quite like it. Not blown away, but I like it.

On 6/1/2019 at 8:58 PM, BellaSpurs said:

Just curious, but the ice rink logo seems awfully close to the Montreal M and more specifically the Milwaukee BiG logos (and probably more I can’t think of) it’s a random thing associated with hockey (the puck and rink) just like BiG (glove and ball) and forms the letters to the city (the c in the rink and the m and b in the glove. And imo I’m not a big fan of either the BiG logo, the Montreal M or the Rink logo, it’s not their longest lasting logo, it’s not their most creative logo. And idk how successful they were with it, but if they weren’t, I don’t think they should bring it back. Keep it as an alternate, but the Johnny Canuck logo is 1000x better,along with the orca, which is much better than the rink. Obviously I’m not a big hockey person, but it seems like an uninspiring look that they’re bringing back for no real reason. The orcas fine, they fixed the word mark, which I’m not that against either tbh. But that’s all they needed to do. The colors are good, and so is their logo set. If anything change back to the (just as uninspired) yellow and red look, it’s better than the rink imo.

So, Canucks' stick-in-rink versus Nordiques' N-in-the-shape-of-an-igloo-plus-hockey-stick seems like the ultimate death match in this regard. The Canadiens logo has history, glory, and much less abstraction than either logo. And everyone loves the Whalers' logo, so that one's out too. That leaves Vancouver versus Quebec...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

21 hours ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

The Canucks are a heritage franchise. With the exception of not going with Johnny Canuck, they got it right the very first time with the Stick in Rink C with white V's on the arm stripes. Going back to the classic SiR would undo all the wrongdoings of changing to highly controversial Halloween and corporate uniforms and logos. The SiR has been a part of the club's identity since 2003 - as a shoulder patch and as an alternate, including the crooked updated version. The story of how SiR creator Joe Borovich came up with the logo and seeing its elegant simplicity in Vancouver, BC colours, as it was worn by Canuck legends like Orland Kurtenbach, Pat Quinn, Andre Boudrias and Harold Snepsts, was intriguing.

As for Johnny Canuck, it's the most popular Canucks logo among all generations of Canucks fans. Far more non-Orca Canucks logo supporters are accepting of Johnny Canuck because it not represents the Canucks name, it represents heritage, history and hockey. The logo has all the Canucks' colours, plus navy and silver - a true Vancouver look. I grew up with the Flying V uniforms and the Skate logo. The Skate was my personal hockey symbol. It was a part of 2 Cup finals. It was the logo when the Canucks started having success after 15 straight losing seasons. My Canuck heroes wore it. When there was talk about changing it, I said "HELL NO." However, when I read the stories of Johnny Canuck and how it inspired the Canucks name, it opened my eyes. The Penguins' classic Skating Penguin and the Blackhawks' iconic Chief Black Hawk convinced me even more. 

It's actually fitting that the Canucks have never won the Stanley Cup. Accomplishments have been made but no Stanley Cup. So, here's the chance to right the ship. Classic Stick in Rink and Johnny Canuck. One as the primary crest and the other as the secondary logo/3rd jersey crest. The black '94 Skate can be used as an annual throwback 2-3 times a year. If this can be accomplished, the Canucks' identity crisis will be put to rest forever, in all due respect to Orca supporters.

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

So, Canucks' stick-in-rink versus Nordiques' N-in-the-shape-of-an-igloo-plus-hockey-stick seems like the ultimate death match in this regard. The Canadiens logo has history, glory, and much less abstraction than either logo. And everyone loves the Whalers' logo, so that one's out too. That leaves Vancouver versus Quebec...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Beautiful logos in a cross-Canada matchup. The green in the Stick in Rink should be lighter - similar to the North Stars' green.

35 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Canucks are a heritage franchise. With the exception of not going with Johnny Canuck, they got it right the very first time with the Stick in Rink C with white V's on the arm stripes.

Not really. The second try was better.

Canucks03.png

Even then, it made the stupid decision to have the green border on the logo touch the blue of the jersey. The new version fixes it.

As for Johnny Canuck, it's the most popular Canucks logo among all generations of Canucks fans.

CITATION NEEDED

In all seriousness, what surveys, public polls, or studies conducted by anybody but yourself indicate that?

1 hour ago, Mingjai said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

The new SiR is better, while the Nordiques logo is garbage.

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Not really. The second try was better.

Canucks03.png

Even then, it made the stupid decision to have the green border on the logo touch the blue of the jersey. The new version fixes it.

CITATION NEEDED

In all seriousness, what surveys, public polls, or studies conducted by anybody but yourself indicate that?

The new SiR is better, while the Nordiques logo is garbage.

We'll agree to disagree.🙂

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

You’re all talking about a team from 1970 being a heritage franchise.

laughs in Maple Leafs 

Yeah, let's be real; the Canucks aren't a heritage franchise. If Vancouver gets called a heritage franchise, we have to call every pre-1970 team one, too. Especially since unlike the teams from the Original Six era, the Canucks have had a myriad of designs, color schemes and logos that none of the heritage franchises do past the infancy of the NHL.

You see the blue maple leaf, you know it's Toronto. You see the red C, you know it's Montreal. You see the spoked B, you know it's Boston. The Native head is Chicago, the Winged Wheel is Detroit, the red/white/blue shield is the Rangers. Those teams have had that single identity for decades and have never swayed from them.

Vancouver, meanwhile has had so many different colors and logos and identities that there is no one image that you can show people and have them say "that's the Vancouver Canucks", and that leads to this situation where they need a myriad different jerseys just to please all of their fans by representing what they perceive as the "ideal" Canucks identity and their home arena looks less like a unified front and more like a bag of Skittles where you can find basically any color under the rainbow.

Again, you have Flying Skate purists, Johnny Canuck purists, Orca purists, Stick-in-Rink purists and all these people who want the team colors to be any combination of black, yellow, red, blue, green, maroon, silver, navy...having this much division in what the ideal branding for this franchise even is isn't an indicator that the Canucks are a brand that has heritage. In fact, it's the exact opposite; that indicates they're a brand with a MASSIVE identity issue.

The Canucks are approaching 50 years plus, they have a 25-year pre-NHL history. They were part of the second wave of expansion, 3 years after the NHL's final season with The Original Six. Yes, the Canucks are a heritage brand, excluding their boneheaded rebrands in '78, '97 and '07.

16 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

The Canucks are approaching 50 years plus, they have a 25-year pre-NHL history. They were part of the second wave of expansion, 3 years after the NHL's final season with The Original Six. Yes, the Canucks are a heritage brand, excluding their boneheaded rebrands in '78, '97 and '07.

What about these beauties

Image result for whl canucks

Related image

Archived