Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

I don’t really consider the half collar as a “problem” because it’s caused by adidas’ template. It’s more a problem for adidas to fix than for the team to fix considering it’s the best way with what adidas currently offers.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, dont care said:

I don’t really consider the half collar as a “problem” because it’s caused by adidas’ template. It’s more a problem for adidas to fix than for the team to fix considering it’s the best way with what adidas currently offers.

Whatever the reason, it's still a problem. And there are ways for teams to not make their collar look atrocious. Look at NJ.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

They can easily avert it; it can be all blue on the blue sweater and all white on the white sweater. No contrasting pieces. 

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

2 hours ago, FinsUp1214 said:

They can easily avert it; it can be all blue on the blue sweater and all white on the white sweater. No contrasting pieces. 

But is it as good as the collars from the last set? No, they want to have a collar that displays their colors like they had with Reebok but adidas has a :censored:ty template they won’t budge to make anyone’s look the best the possibly can, so while doing the non contrasting collar might be the best option they have available, it’s not the best option they could have if adidas doesn’t refuse to fix it.

On 5/29/2019 at 2:31 PM, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Or just use visually distinct shades of said colors. Seattle using liberty blue and pine green would look pretty different from the Canucks' color scheme even though they're technically the same base colors. Plenty of teams in the NHL use red/black in varying amounts, no reason multiple teams can't use blue/green with very distinctive shades.

Particularly if you start considering "electric" green (is that thing?) -- or lime. 

11 minutes ago, NYYNYR said:

Particularly if you start considering "electric" green (is that thing?) -- or lime. 

Electric green is just Nike’s name for lime/neon green. It’s like how the Texans call their colors blood red, steel blue and liberty white. We all know it’s red white and navy, but they just trademark a name for it.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:58 PM, randyc said:

With Chris confirming the leaks and reporting the changes are the same for the away jersey, I suppose this is what it would look like with the anniversary patch?

4l1B4tF.png

Since the big uniform overhaul of ~12 years ago, to me, this has been possibly one of the top 3 away jerseys out there. It's clean, bright, and uniquely Vancouver. Without the writing, it looks even better. Big fan.

0528-van19sec.png

From icethetics..

This should be the main crest. I'm past the idea that it's not a proper logo. Yes it is. It can look good. This works wonderfully well IMO.

45 minutes ago, Ark said:

The orca is way better though. 

That is fine as a secondary logo. 

This was my opinion for about 10 years.

Now I'm starting to come around to the idea that the rink and stick in this incarnation could work beautifully, just like the simple Flyers P, Bruins B, Canadiens CH.

There's something elegant, clean and pure about it. I think it would look great and stamp the Canucks with an iconic aesthetic for once. The orca is nice for what it is, but I personally think there comes a used by date, and the orca is starting to look like it's holding the Canucks' look back. As said, it doesn't even use the all the same colours. That's problematic.

56 minutes ago, Ark said:

The orca is way better though. 

That is fine as a secondary logo. 

It's really not though.

The stick in rink isn't great, but it's got a bit of that classic cache along the lines of the Canadiens' CH or Flyers' P. What Bane said, basically.

Besides, the orca fails because if you're going to use a monogram for a Vancouver team? It should be a V. I know the stick in rink is supposed to be a C, but that's a tertiary meaning at best. It's practically an Easter egg.

Just curious, but the ice rink logo seems awfully close to the Montreal M and more specifically the Milwaukee BiG logos (and probably more I can’t think of) it’s a random thing associated with hockey (the puck and rink) just like BiG (glove and ball) and forms the letters to the city (the c in the rink and the m and b in the glove. And imo I’m not a big fan of either the BiG logo, the Montreal M or the Rink logo, it’s not their longest lasting logo, it’s not their most creative logo. And idk how successful they were with it, but if they weren’t, I don’t think they should bring it back. Keep it as an alternate, but the Johnny Canuck logo is 1000x better,along with the orca, which is much better than the rink. Obviously I’m not a big hockey person, but it seems like an uninspiring look that they’re bringing back for no real reason. The orcas fine, they fixed the word mark, which I’m not that against either tbh. But that’s all they needed to do. The colors are good, and so is their logo set. If anything change back to the (just as uninspired) yellow and red look, it’s better than the rink imo.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

35 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

It's really not though.

The stick in rink isn't great, but it's got a bit of that classic cache along the lines of the Canadiens' CH or Flyers' P. What Bane said, basically.

Besides, the orca fails because if you're going to use a monogram for a Vancouver team? It should be a V. I know the stick in rink is supposed to be a C, but that's a tertiary meaning at best. It's practically an Easter egg.

I think the "stick in rink being a C" is cooler than some random stick and rink logo. As in, it should be obvious rather than an Easter egg. 

The orca being a C is not too bad considering the Avs' A and the Canadiens' CH. Though, with that said, a V would be cooler...and might tread on Vegas' style but whatev. The fact there are three Canadian teams with C jerseys is weird.  

note: I also like the orca because orca are fascinating animals are appropriate for the region.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

The orca being a C is not too bad considering the Avs' A and the Canadiens' CH

Well technically the Canadiens' full official name as a club is "le Club de hockey Canadien."

As far as the Avs' logo goes? It's not a logo I think has aged particularly well.

I think the Avs logo falls into the exact same category as the Canucks logo. They're not bad at all, but they haven't aged the best.

3 hours ago, Bayne said:

0528-van19sec.png

From icethetics..

This should be the main crest. I'm past the idea that it's not a proper logo. Yes it is. It can look good. This works wonderfully well IMO.

A version of it was good enough to be the main crest between 1970 to 1978 so why not?  You can have Johnny Canuck around like a 1B logo, similar to how you see Washington use the weagle a lot but it is not their primary logo or crest.  

If modern Stick-in-Rink were the main crest, blue stick with white background on the blue jersey.  White stick with blue background on the white jerseys.  Like original Stick-in-Rink look in the 1970s.

However, I would rather see the colours arranged differently with the modern Stick-in-Rick with the blue stick/white background.  The blue and the white should just flip-flop and the green stripe remaining in the same place.  Modern Stick-in-Rink be set up more like how the original Stick-in-Rink was with the blue stick on the white background.

spacer.png       spacer.png

And please - even with the orca logo staying - just give us back the tri-colour gloves Canucks!

spacer.png

I've never been a fan of the stick-in-rink as the primary, because it feels a bit too...I guess basic for a modern NHL logo. It's basically just two outlines, a blue rectangle and a white hockey stick. It works as a throwback, but I feel like it doesn't really benefit from the same impact and iconicity that other simple hockey logos, like Toronto's blue leaf or Detroit's Winged Wheel have; it's basic in an outdated manner rather then an iconic one, in my opinion. The flying skate is a similar issue; it's outdated, but it also isn't as basic; it's problem is being really over-designed; slanted text, lines making an image, circles, speedlines, bright colors...it's an utter mess of an identity. Plus for it to work, the Canucks would have to change their colors AGAIN.

Johnny Canuck is the best of the non-orca lot, but then you'd get people who may not know hockey calling them the Vancouver Lumberjacks; plus, at least in my opinion, Johnny isn't quite strong enough on his own merits to stand as a primary logo in the modern age. He's a great alternate, but I think just redesigning the orca would be a good idea; make it sleeker and remove the 90's tropes and I think it'd be a fine logo.

1 hour ago, Wade Heidt said:

A version of it was good enough to be the main crest between 1970 to 1978 so why not?  You can have Johnny Canuck around like a 1B logo, similar to how you see Washington use the weagle a lot but it is not their primary logo or crest.  

Honestly, I'd argue Washington not using the Weagle or even the Screaming Eagle as their primary logo is a really dumb move. It just looks minor-league to just have a wordmark as your main logo; the team's been around for so long that we don't need to have the team name scrawled on the jersey as if people don't already know who the Washington Capitals are. Keep it as a wordmark and give the jersey an actual logo.

I'm really hoping they eventually bring the Screaming Eagle back as a logo, or even just promote the Weagle to primary status, at some point in the near future. It probably won't happen since they won the Cup in the wordmark, like how LA probably won't bring back the crown logo as the primary because they won the Cup with the banner logo, but I really hope it happens at some point.

1 hour ago, Wade Heidt said:

If modern Stick-in-Rink were the main crest, blue stick with white background on the blue jersey.  White stick with blue background on the white jerseys.  Like original Stick-in-Rink look in the 1970s.

However, I would rather see the colours arranged differently with the modern Stick-in-Rick with the blue stick/white background.  The blue and the white should just flip-flop and the green stripe remaining in the same place.  Modern Stick-in-Rink be set up more like how the original Stick-in-Rink was with the blue stick on the white background.

spacer.png       spacer.png

And please - even with the orca logo staying - just give us back the tri-colour gloves Canucks!

spacer.png

The original Stick in Rink is far better. The stick looks like a real hockey stick instead of a fat check mark.

I prefer not inverting the SiR. With the white stick inside the blue rink, I would add a white outline around the green border. However, if going with the blue stick inside the white rink on blue, having the green be centred between the white border and white rink would be a lot better as shown with the updated version because the green doesn't get lost on the blue background like it does with  the original.

Archived