Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Morgo said:

Nothing wrong with a cartoon-logo and I wouldn't at all be upset if the Canucks swapped the Orca for Johnny and left everything else the same.  I'm just saying they don't need to go that route cause ultimately the Canucks are the players on the ice.  I also don't see the problem with sticking with the Orca.  It's clean, professional, looks great embroidered and one of the all-time Canuck greats had a hand in it's creation.

Arguable point.  It's also arguable that ditching the logo of the past 22 years and adding another one would add to these identity problems. 

The Maple Leafs had the "Harold Ballard" leaf for the longest time than any other Leaf logo and it got replaced with an updated version of their classic leaf crest. The Cleveland Indians had the controversial Chief Wahoo logo for over half a century. It's, rightfully, getting phased out. The Canucks haven't won a single Cup, including with the Orca. They have nothing  to lose and everything to gain by embracing Johnny Canuck, current or updated, as their primary.

The longer the Orca stays as the  primary and Johnny Canuck remains limited to alternate secondary status, the longer the Canucks' identity crisis will continue. 

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'd suggest tweaking Johnny a bit. Maybe touch up some of the linework on the face, adjust the angle, give him a backing shape (the "V" of the Vancouver Millionaires), etc. As is, he's not ideal.

The local minor-league team had a good base for a "serious" design:

Customize%20CHL%20WHL%20Vancouver%20Giants%20Blank%20Alternate%20Jersey%20Black-800x800.jpg

Refine it a little in royal/kelly and you'd have something.

I don’t hate that logo but in my mind? It’s what the Canucks would have gone with in 1996 in an alternate universe where they debuted with Johnny Canuck and never dropped him. Of course they return to using classic Johnny. First as an alternate in the new “darker” colours before relenting with the classic kelly and royal :P 

Classic Johnny is a bit too rough, and new Johnny isn’t quite right. I’m actually drawn to the V/Johnny logo. Sure, it’s weird to just have his head floating there, but I like the dual symbolism of Johnny and a V for the Canucks. 

Which is another problem I have with the orca. It’s a C, and not a V. If you’re going to use a single letter to reference the Vancouver Canucks? It should be a V. 

2 minutes ago, daniel75 said:

Right, it’s not that hard y’all. 

Neither is it hard to see why a team named after Johnny Canuck ought to use a logo based on Johnny Canuck over a killer whale. 

21 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

I don’t hate that logo but in my mind? It’s what the Canucks would have gone with in 1996 in an alternate universe where they debuted with Johnny Canuck and never dropped him. Of course they return to using classic Johnny. First as an alternate in the new “darker” colours before relenting with the classic kelly and royal :P 

Classic Johnny is a bit too rough, and new Johnny isn’t quite right. I’m actually drawn to the V/Johnny logo. Sure, it’s weird to just have his head floating there, but I like the dual symbolism of Johnny and a V for the Canucks. 

Which is another problem I have with the orca. It’s a C, and not a V. If you’re going to use a single letter to reference the Vancouver Canucks? It should be a V. 

Neither is it hard to see why a team named after Johnny Canuck ought to use a logo based on Johnny Canuck over a killer whale. 

I hate that floating head V logo.  Not perfect, but if a Johnny Canuck on a V, then maybe something like this?

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, Ark said:

And they have a general name and a specific logo. They don't need to have a general logo. 

The Canucks are literally named after a pulp hero who was already turned into a hockey logo though 😂

“The team named after Johnny Canuck should use the Johnny Canuck logo” is not the radical opinion some of you are making it out to be :P

6 hours ago, Corvus said:

It's literally several times a year. Not sure why people are having difficulty understanding the sentence. The frequency is a "a year" not "every day" or "every week"

Its not. If whales show up anywhere in Vancouver proper its considered newsworthy. Whales are not regularly hanging around Burrard inlet. 

Also, about the above in regards to Grizzlies, they were literally extirpated in the lower mainland a long time ago. It was a worse name for a Vancouver team than "canuck" ever was.

And?

A totem-pole orca as symbol of Vancouver and the Pacific Northwest is fine enough to get you through, but for "Vancouver Canucks," they could do a lot better. Johnny Canuck in green and blue would say it all.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

Its not. If whales show up anywhere in Vancouver proper its considered newsworthy. Whales are not regularly hanging around Burrard inlet. 

And?

I've been saying that forever. I love all animals including orcas/killer whales. In fact, I love that they are a BC coast animal. Beautiful creatures. However, they don't show up in Vancouver's harbour and surrounding waters except for the odd pod. In fact, it's Vancouver's tourist industry that has marketed the orca as a Vancouver native animal. 

I've got no beef with Johnny Canuck or the stick-in-rink logos, but I'd like to see Vancouver just embrace the "V" as a visual anchor. The Tron-inspired oddities of the early '80s weren't entirely a bad idea. A simpler, more understated version of that, with Johnny or SiR as secondaries might be a happy medium in this debate. 

13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Canucks are literally named after a pulp hero who was already turned into a hockey logo though 😂

“The team named after Johnny Canuck should use the Johnny Canuck logo” is not the radical opinion some of you are making it out to be :P

On the other hand, neither is the others’ preference for something more mature than “midcentury skating lumberjack cartoon.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 hours ago, VancouverFan69 said:

I've been saying that forever. I love all animals including orcas/killer whales. In fact, I love that they are a BC coast animal. Beautiful creatures. However, they don't show up in Vancouver's harbour and surrounding waters except for the odd pod. In fact, it's Vancouver's tourist industry that has marketed the orca as a Vancouver native animal. 

They're just as much of a Seattle animal as they are Vancouver. If Seattle's team gets called the Sockeyes it makes just as much sense for them to have an orca for a logo as it does a Vancouver team called the Canucks.

I've posted this before, i think it's from the video about the development of the Orca in the first place, but if they came up with an updated Johnny Canuck logo along these lines i think that would be the way to go.  I like the stick-in-rink logo enough as well, and even the Orca, but it doesn't fit with these uniforms.  

spacer.png

So, we're looking at two different justifications for the same logo, both of which don't pass the smell (of the stink in rink) test.

*NAMED AFTER CULT HERO CHARACTER

-represented by an animal that has nothing to do with said character.

-doesn't even have the roundabout connection of another mascot/logo for a team named after a person in Brownie the Elf/Cleveland.

*NAMED AFTER NICKNAME FOR CANADIANS

-represented by an animal that resides in every ocean on the planet, with no connection to Canada other than a tourist ploy.

-"Canucks are the players" doesn't necessarily work when the team's famous for being led by Swedish twins for years.

And let's not forget that the reason an orca was the logo was because that was the name of the ownership group.  And, seeing as how Orca Bay is now Canucks Sports & Entertainment the whole thing's even more ridiculous.

What we have here is the lazy Charlotte Bobcats in that they didn't go the whole way in renaming the team after the ownership.

VmWIn6B.png

This would look great on an Adidas template.  The full bodied lumberjack is kind of an awkward shape which means it has to be positioned and sized just right or it ends up looking lopsided or boxed-in.  Put the modern Stick and Rink on the shoulders and you've got their perfect look*

aDatW8e.jpg

*Though I'm still happy with what was leaked

1 minute ago, Morgo said:

This would look great on an Adidas template.  The full bodied lumberjack is kind of an awkward shape which means it has to be positioned and sized just right or it ends up looking lopsided or boxed-in.  Put the modern Stick and Rink on the shoulders and you've got their perfect look*

aDatW8e.jpg

*Though I'm still happy with what was leaked

Yeah, I do think Johnny needs to be increased in size though. Closer to this

spacer.png

Archived