Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

6 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I was on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League website earlier this week, as a handful of friends in New England have sons who were projected to potentially be selected in the 2019 QMJHL American Entry Draft. In any event, something occurred to me while while poking around the league website.

In a league where many of the team logos tend towards overdone, "more-is-less" illustrations - detailed Viking ships, talon-bearing birds of prey, photorealistic torches, anatomically-correct moose and huskies, fanged ocean liners, stick-chomping tigers, and headdress-bedecked First Nations sachems - the primary mark of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada stood out for its straightforward, classic simplicity.

rmTJAQum.png

Might this be the direction that the Vancouver Canucks should go in when designing a new primary logo? Rather than choose between a cartoon lumberjack, a Haida-influenced orca, or a stylized ice skate, opt instead to embrace a timeless and traditional mark with which to identify the franchise.

Picture a large V with a banner/scroll stretched across its face, the word CANUCKS written in said containment shape. The logo could be that simple. If desired, some small device could be placed within the space between the V's two uprights - perhaps, 1970 to indicate the franchise's year of founding. But that's it. The idea would be to lean into a bold, clean look that would eschew trendiness and, as a result, stand the test of time.           

I think the problem with that is that it would only serve to divide the fanbase even more. They have the Millionares throwback for a super-simple logo, I don't think making their main logo that simple would be a good idea; it looks somewhat college-league.

Vancouver has an identity which works with refinement; orca primary, stick in rink secondary, Johnny Canuck third and flying skate throwback. They don't need to change anything else.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stick-in-rink logo is an improvement on the previous one, but the third jersey is so unbalanced and the green stripes do not look good without a white outline.

The main jerseys look better without the script. 

1 minute ago, Brian in Boston said:

I was on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League website earlier this week, as a handful of friends in New England have sons who were projected to potentially be selected in the 2019 QMJHL American Entry Draft. In any event, something occurred to me while while poking around the league website.

In a league where many of the team logos tend towards overdone, "more-is-less" illustrations - detailed Viking ships, talon-bearing birds of prey, photorealistic torches, anatomically-correct moose and huskies, fanged ocean liners, stick-chomping tigers, and headdress-bedecked First Nations sachems - the primary mark of the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada stood out for its straightforward, classic simplicity.

rmTJAQum.png

Might this be the direction that the Vancouver Canucks should go in when designing a new primary logo? Rather than choose between a cartoon lumberjack, a Haida-influenced orca, or a stylized ice skate, opt instead to embrace a timeless and traditional mark with which to identify the franchise.

Picture a large V with a banner/scroll stretched across its face, the word CANUCKS written in said containment shape. The logo could be that simple. If desired, some small device could be placed within the space between the V's two uprights - perhaps, 1970 to indicate the franchise's year of founding. But that's it. The idea would be to lean into a bold, clean look that would eschew trendiness and, as a result, stand the test of time.           

We already have a design similar to that, courtesy of the Vancouver Millionaires.

5300_vancouver_canucks-alternate-2013.pn

I would prefer any other Canucks logo to the V-Canucks design you proposed. That’s the worst option, as it’s devoid of character for a team that could have a lot more character.

6 minutes ago, DastardlyRidleylash said:

Vancouver has an identity which works with refinement; orca primary, stick in rink secondary, Johnny Canuck third and flying skate throwback. They don't need to change anything else.

Sorry, but that's not an identity. It's a hodgepodge of four identities. They've been thrown together because nobody within team management is willing to make a decision on what the Vancouver Canucks' visual brand should be. 

10 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

We already have a design similar to that, courtesy of the Vancouver Millionaires.

5300_vancouver_canucks-alternate-2013.pn

There are a couple of problems with this reasoning. First, the Vancouver Canucks aren't the Vancouver Millionaires. Aside from both being hockey teams that operated in Vancouver, the franchises literally don't share any organizational "DNA". Second, the "down-then-up" path that the letters in "VANCOUVER" have to follow in order to fit into the "V" looks like ass.

Personally, my first choice would be for the Canucks to adopt a visual identity that leans into imagery revolving around the "Johnny Canuck" character. I could see redesigning said character so as to move away from a depiction that is too cartoon-like in its rendering. Short of that, I'd opt for the timeless approach, revolving around a simple letterform logo.

What I don't believe works is the Canucks' current "all things to all people" strategy of conflating the Haida-styled orca with an updated stick-in-rink mark, plus adding a flying skate throwback into the mix for good measure. That's not a coherent team identity. Rather, it's indecisiveness.

The white stick-in-rink looks much better now as the “C” is very clearly seen in green. It looks great as a third logo and honestly would work as a primary. But the stripes on the Alt suck. They need a white outline to stand out. They’ll disappear up in the nosebleeds.

And is it just me, or does the orca now have a light blue outline as well? And is it a black orca now too? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

40 minutes ago, ~Bear said:

The stick-in-rink logo is an improvement on the previous one

In my opinion, the updated stick-in-rink design looks absolutely brutal. It resembles nothing so much as a pre-schooler's attempt to draw the original stick-in-rink.

Truth be told, the stick-in-rink was never quite as clever or well-designed as its enthusiasts have made it out to be. "Serviceable" as a description is being kind... and even then, only as a secondary mark.  

I dunno. Whole bunch of “meh” for me. There’s a lot of potential with the Canucks but like someone said they just can’t make a decision on what direction to go in. 

If youre sticking with the Orca, which is fine by me, it needs to fit with the rest of the uniform better. Removing the text is great but I’d like to see some modifications. IMO take the home logo, make the blue outline green, and maybe the orca the normal blue and not the dark.  That would help a little more. Also use the same thing on the away. I don’t see the need to have a different version. You can then add green to numbers or collar if you like to make the whole thing more cohesive. 

The alt looks like they tried to do what Carolina did with their alt and it’s not working as well. Definitely needs white in between the green stripes if that’s what you’re going with. 

As of now I’m not a fan of the white stick in rink. It’s too jarring a difference. Also doesn’t look good on the white. If they weren’t going to use contrasting versions like they do with the main I’d have stuck with the blue version. 

Only thing wrong with the throwback back is the collar.  Nice otherwise. 

1 hour ago, randyc said:

The other thing that gets me is they said the new shoulder patch remains white on the away jersey to enforce a simplified identity. Yet, they still use two different primary logos that contrast with the jersey colour. So why not keep two versions of the stink-in-rink logo as well?

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

2 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

Regardless of logo preferences, I think we can all agree that removing the Vancouver script is a huge improvement.

Oh, absolutely.  This is automatically worlds better.

jerseylaunch_newspaperimages.jpg?quality

Gotta say, I don't hate the orca logo.  I like the idea of it, but I don't love the execution. The ice is kind of silly and awkward.  Better they create a full-body orca curling its body into a "C".

55 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I was on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League website earlier this week, as a handful of friends in New England have sons who were projected to potentially be selected in the 2019 QMJHL American Entry Draft. In any event, something occurred to me while while poking around the league website.

pOeOjJ5m.png

I always thought the design of the A in that logo was meant to resemble 2 cannons, which is actually a cool, subtle way to reference the team nickname. A simple V for the Canucks doesn't have the same effect.

Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

June 13, 2019 - 20:59 PM

The Vancouver Canucks this afternoon confirmed our recent report and unveiled their new uniform set for the upcoming 2019-20 season. Four jerseys were part of the reveal, with the upcoming 50th anniversary season for the Canucks there was a tinge […]

Read More...

4 minutes ago, KittSmith_95 said:

The Canucks made a good change in terms of Home & Away, and the throwback is awesome, but why change the third? I'm sorry, but that thing is ugly. 

Because the previous third looked too much like the current set.  Since they have changed the stick in rink logo, any ways, it made sense to change the alternate as well.  I agree that the new third needs work to improve it.

So they’ve managed to fix the stick in rink colouring on the home, but screwed it up on the roads. Why not keep the base blue on the white jerseys? They fixed the collar for the third, and yet they couldn’t fix that stupid horseshoe toilet seat on the home and road? The new thirds are fine, but it’s  a massive waste of an opportunity not to have white between the green stripes and put the V back on the sleeves. They’re clearly emulating the 1970 season coloured jerseys, but with the new mostly white logo the colours look really unbalanced. 

These jerseys have so many little details dragging them down.

The new alternate looks very "off", like it's a Chinese bootleg of a Canucks uniform or something. I'm not a huge fan of the stick-in-rink logo normally, but I can tolerate it; having said that it looks best in blue, the white version just looks strange to me. And those stripes need some sort of a white trim, because on their own they don't stand out very well. Overall just a weird-looking uniform, and not in the good way either. 3/10

Archived