Vancouver Canucks Unveil Four New Uniforms

king_mahalo

You's all acting like you've never heard of marketing departments and how not every single design rationale gets translated perfectly from design team to marketing. Its pretty normal to get something like this. No big deal though...rain, waves, whatever its all fluff talk.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I don’t think I’d use the word “elegant” (or any similar term) to describe the rink logo. To me, the light weight of the old C is one of the main reasons it never read properly as a C (in either incarnation), so the chunkier weight is definitely purposeful and an improvement in my opinion. After all, I think the rink logo *is* a very elementary mark, and (at least to me) it feels counter-intuitive to make it fancier with fussy letterforms and fine outlines. My solution was to let it be exactly what it is; a giant C rink enveloping a giant ice rink with a giant stick.

I don't see how making the C chunkier in order to make it more obvious does not in effect make it more elementary. I would argue that it makes it much more so, and robs it of not only its original, more delicate aesthetic but also of its subtlety. Having to spell it out for people who didn't "see it" and sacrifice the uniform lines it had, seems like a bit of a compromise.

I will probably grow to accept it much more than I am right now, but I don't think I'll ever appreciate it quite as much in its new form. Thanks for your explanation though.

Yeah I definitely appreciate the newer stick-in-rink logo. The “C” was always hidden, and seemed like something that people would just say to justify it as a logo. It’s now much clearer and at least a little subtle as it takes a sec to see the “C”. I’m by no means comparing this completely to the Whalers logo, but it takes a sec to find the “H” as well and people here agree that it’s one of the greatest logos in sports...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

11 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

I think is easily the best iteration of the stick in rink so far. I just think it could use a silver border and wish it stayed with the blue base on the white jerseys. Why they didn't want it inverted is beyond me.

Dont see how them probably wanting to align it with the white ice of a rink and not stray from that link is beyond you. I think a blue patch would look nicer on the roads but its fine.

16 minutes ago, Bayne said:

Dont see how them probably wanting to align it with the white ice of a rink and not stray from that link is beyond you. I think a blue patch would look nicer on the roads but its fine.

Nothing goes over your head. Your reflexes are too quick. You would catch it.

Hate the orca logo. They're not the Vancouver Orcas, Whales, Killer Whales, etc.

I can't understand why they insist on keeping it.

That being said, I like the updated stick in rink logo (wish it was the primary). I don't like it on the white jerseys, though. It kind of gets lost (maybe reverse it's colors on the white jersey?).

I like that they kept the look of the home and road jerseys intact. 

I like the idea of the third jersey (going back to their originals), but I'm afraid the green stripes are going to get lost on the blue jersey without a white stripe between the two green stripes.

Overall, just getting rid of the VANCOUVER wordmark makes these unis an improvement, but they could have been better.

1 hour ago, Chromatic said:

I just think it could use a silver border and wish it stayed with the blue base on the white jerseys. Why they didn't want it inverted is beyond me.

I also lament the loss of silver on the Stick and Rink because it loses a shared characteristic with the Orca.  A necessary one considering the Orca has no green.

I'm sure this has been brought up and/or done already...but just for giggles and reference...here's the flying skate in the current color scheme.

spacer.png

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

It seems odd to me that I've never seen a GOOD updated design of the skate logo. One that doesn't look quite so busy and with a slightly modernised/timeless look. But never seen it. I can vaguely imagine it in my head but I'm not good enough to try put it together.

9 minutes ago, agentrygraphics said:

I'm sure this has been brought up and/or done already...but just for giggles and reference...here's the flying skate in the current color scheme.

spacer.png

I honestly wouldn’t be opposed to seeing this on the front of the current jerseys.  The blue and green colours really help subdue the garishness of it. It’s still not ideal, but it’s better than the whale.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Unfortunately, it’s the team that is contradicting him here.   And they’re the ones who will write the history when all is said and done. 

That’s what makes this so incredible. Actual professional sports organizations have gotten in on it!

Talk about having mass appeal!

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

49 minutes ago, Bayne said:

It seems odd to me that I've never seen a GOOD updated design of the skate logo. One that doesn't look quite so busy and with a slightly modernised/timeless look. But never seen it. I can vaguely imagine it in my head but I'm not good enough to try put it together.

@vtgco made an excellent effort at it.

new_skate_display.png

His whole thread features some fantastic Canucks ideas.

It's a decent effort. Not what I had in mind though. That logo would rank pretty low amongst all the other NHL logos, to be unfair.

13 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

It’s possible they don’t feel a middle-age white male cartoon stereotype properly represents a progressive, diverse west-coast metropolis, but I could be wrong.

First off, quit it with the race-card playing. How do you know that Johnny Canuck is Caucasian? He could be Native Canadian for all we know. 

A logo is supposed to represent the club name and/or sport and the ENTIRE fan base. Not to cater to a particular demographic or so-called progressive special interest groups. Sports are supposed to be fun and entertaining, not political or environmental unless that particular logo represents the club name.

Speaking of being a West coast metropolis, Johnny Canuck can be marketed in a number of diverse ways. When the Sedins were having their Art Ross and Hart Trophy success, Johnny Canuck versions of the twins were on shirts as well as yellow and blue Swedish shirts with 3 JC V-heads wearing the Swedish Crown, aka. The Three Crowns, Sweden's national symbol. Other international festivities and holidays celebrated by the Canucks can use Johnny Canuck in different forms. That's called uniting the fan base.

^LOL, so fixated on your Johnny Canuck agenda.

He wasn't playing the race card, just offered it up as valid possibility as to why there might be a slight aversion to embracing what is ostensibly a middle-aged white cartoon stereotype. Hard to sugarcoat that, no matter how hard you try. That's the perception. I'm not saying it needs to be true, but it's a legitimate point and could very well be the case.

36 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

First off, quit it with the race-card playing. How do you know that Johnny Canuck is Caucasian? He could be Native Canadian for all we know. 

A logo is supposed to represent the club name and/or sport and the ENTIRE fan base. Not to cater to a particular demographic or so-called progressive special interest groups. Sports are supposed to be fun and entertaining, not political or environmental unless that particular logo represents the club name.

Speaking of being a West coast metropolis, Johnny Canuck can be marketed in a number of diverse ways. When the Sedins were having their Art Ross and Hart Trophy success, Johnny Canuck versions of the twins were on shirts as well as yellow and blue Swedish shirts with 3 JC V-heads wearing the Swedish Crown, aka. The Three Crowns, Sweden's national symbol. Other international festivities and holidays celebrated by the Canucks can use Johnny Canuck in different forms. That's called uniting the fan base.

If Johnny Canuck is anything other than Caucasian they should have picked a better skin color in the logo than pure cocaine white.

Archived