MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

9 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Here's a shot from the upper deck of Chase Field (and not even seats behind home plate);

spacer.png

The Chase Field upper deck is the original Guaranteed Rate Field under a roof.  Good on them to try to milk a few extra bucks out of a steep mountain of uninhabited plastic.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

ESPN.com: Oakland-area fans start Ballers, an independent baseball team

The Pioneer League's Oakland Ballers, or Oakland B's for short, are set to begin play in 2024 (thus competing directly with the A's for at least one season) at the on-campus baseball field of Laney College -- a site across the street from one of the places where the A's tried to build a new ballpark before their ultimately aborted pursuit of a venue at Howard Terminal.

34 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

ESPN.com: Oakland-area fans start Ballers, an independent baseball team

The Pioneer League's Oakland Ballers, or Oakland B's for short, are set to begin play in 2024 (thus competing directly with the A's for at least one season) at the on-campus baseball field of Laney College -- a site across the street from one of the places where the A's tried to build a new ballpark before their ultimately aborted pursuit of a venue at Howard Terminal.

Home run style "knockout round" to determine the winner after 9 innings.....interesting.  It will get the fans home early instead of coming home in the middle of the night after a 15 or 16 inning game, especially if its a weekday. 

Also, I am sure Zennie Abraham will find some way to bash the Oakland Ballers.  

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Home run style "knockout round" to determine the winner after 9 innings.....interesting.

I am always in favour of independent leagues. So my first reaction was: good for this team for starting up.

But a home run derby to decide games is absolutely embarrassing. Indeed, I thought that the post mentioning that was a joke mocking the league.  To know that this is really the rule is nothing short of shocking. How any baseball fan could approve of this is far, far beyond my understanding.

I'm not fundamentally against alterations of the rules, even radical ones. But this is bad. If they wanted to take something good from soccer, then they should have borrowed the acknowledgement that a draw is a legitimate result. A regular-season game tied after nine innings should go into the books as a draw; save the extra innings for playoff games that have to have a winner.

This is a case where the flaw is so big that it overshadows everything else. Very disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

42 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I am always in favour of independent leagues. So my first reaction was: good for this team for starting up.

But a home run derby to decide games is absolutely embarrassing. Indeed, I thought that the post mentioning that was a joke mocking the league.  To know that this is really the rule is nothing short of shocking. How any baseball fan could approve of this is far, far beyond my understanding.

I'm not fundamentally against alterations of the rules, even radical ones. But this is bad. If they wanted to take something good from soccer, then they should have borrowed the acknowledgement that a draw is a legitimate result. A regular-season game tied after nine innings should go into the books as a draw; save the extra innings for playoff games that have to have a winner.

This is a case where the flaw is so big that it overshadows everything else. Very disappointing.

I like the balance that NPB in Japan has. Maxed out at 12 innings in the regular season and then it becomes a draw. Majority of games are decided by then, and if not doesn't matter.

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

It's Independent League ball. They need something interesting to draw in an audience. I'm sure they can live with your disapproval.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, tBBP said:

Not for nothing, and I have no clue what the Diamondbacks' park looks like, but sometimes those upper level seats are the best in the house.

Or at least that's been my experience, Fenway notwithstanding. 

Not to send this topic way-off, but I'm planning a trip to Fenway next summer and I was considering doing the rooftop seats on the 1st base line as it's above the obstructed view level area and gets you the Green Monster always in view (and take it from experience, doing the SkyDome and having the CN Tower always in view by sitting on the 3rd base line was *chef's kiss*). Guessing it's better off sticking to the lower level?

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

13 minutes ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Not to send this topic way-off, but I'm planning a trip to Fenway next summer and I was considering doing the rooftop seats on the 1st base line as it's above the obstructed view level area and gets you the Green Monster always in view (and take it from experience, doing the SkyDome and having the CN Tower always in view by sitting on the 3rd base line was *chef's kiss*). Guessing it's better off sticking to the lower level?

Well I can't speak to those first base line seats up top...because I didn't sit up there. I was probably a good three or four up underneath the third-base side grandstand. Which while being somewhat obstructive actually turned out for the best once it started drizzling out there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 2023-11-28 at 8:15 PM, RyanMcD29 said:

If you do go for the upper deck, get section 12 or higher. The lower-numbered sections out in right field just face out toward the bleacher seats instead of the actual action, and IMO are some of the worst seats in MLB. The third-base line does a better job of kicking the seats to view back toward the diamond itself like modern parks do (and also, obviously, don't go down as far, due to the Monster).

I've always find the upper deck in left field to be my favorite seats actually, though you're kinda parallel to the Monster. But you get a nice view of Boston and the diamond up there, plus very chill and open concourses instead of some of the rat tunnels down below.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2023 at 6:32 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

"They" didn't do this. MLB suggested it as they are a "Partner League" and MLB wanted to try it out.

The idea being they wanted regular season games over at a decent time. This way everyone knows it's nine-innings. And you get a few minutes for a home run derby if tied. Better than Draft League that just ends it in a tie after 9.

The USPBL uses a rule right out of the Savannah Bananas for their games. All four teams play at the same stadium. On game nights, the have a cutoff for how late games take. They have a 9/2.5 rule. Game is 9-innings. But, the rule is an inning can't start after the 2.5 hour mark. Whatever inning they're in, the team leading wins. In the event that the inning ends in a tie, then they'll play extra innings from there. This is to ensure games are over in 3 hours as much as possible. Especially for fireworks nights.

I'm not entirely thrilled with the idea. But it did make for a quick night the one time I went to a USPBL game.

56 minutes ago, Walk-Off said:

The Tennessean: Why Nashville mayor Freddie O'Connell met with White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf

This meeting happened yesterday (December 5, 2023), the next-to-last day of the 2023 MLB Winter Meetings, which were held in Nashville.

My belief is that if they don't get significant renovations to US Cellular, that they will look at the suburbs.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:01 PM, the admiral said:

They just had significant renovations like 15 years ago. The stadium's fine. The location is fine. The issue is that you have an owner who has hated his customers for 43 years.

Renovation 15 years ago on a 32 year old stadium that was obsolete when it was constructed. It may be fine in the sense it’s not falling apart, but it’s a relic compared to the rest of the league.

9 hours ago, Walk-Off said:

The Governor of Maryland seems optimistic that a long term lease deal will happen.  It also shows the difference in ownership of the two major league teams in Baltimore.  Ravens Ownership is like "we'll sign a 30 year lease for major renovations to our stadium" and the Angelos are like "should we sign this lease?  I don't know if we should."

Also with the Rays:

I completely disagree. I can't stand ties. You play the game to determine a winner. To not do so is the definition of a failure. I hate that the NFL has ties and think that they should give refunds on tickets to those that attend one.

• Dislike 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

26 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

If they wanted to take something good from soccer, then they should have borrowed the acknowledgement that a draw is a legitimate result. A regular-season game tied after nine innings should go into the books as a draw; save the extra innings for playoff games that have to have a winner.

I completely disagree. I can't stand ties. You play the game to determine a winner. To not do so is the definition of a failure. I hate that the NFL has ties and think that they should give refunds on tickets to those that attend one.

You play the season to determine a champion. In order to do that, every single game does not need a winner. This is truest of all in the sport with the most games in its season.

Even though I no longer have time to follow soccer, as I did for about fifteen years, the one piece of wisdom that I retain from that experience is an understanding of the validity of a draw.  Overtime should be strictly for playoffs in all sports.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png