I like to imagine an alternate timeline where Ackerley didn't screw Seattle out of an early '90s NHL team and they also got temporarily booted to the Tacoma Dome:

Tacoma Sabercats – Seattle's forgotten team – UK Hockey Blog

Anyway, if the Rays would be on the hook for repairing any of the Trop, then they're probably gone:

At this point just rent temporary bleachers and split between Orlando, Dunedin, and whichever countries we're evangelizing to.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

12 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Another fallen multi-use stadium.

nl0Sa2-EzYaZnefvsJu3nM-thPTl3xE3u_vtLxsr

These games must have been weird to attend.

Certainly a quirk of the fact that the stadium preceded the baseball team by 8 years. And yet NHL indoor attendance records still stand from those years.

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Hard to imagine this being resolved quick. Not to mention it's at a time when the community has much higher priorities too.

KtHjnlJ.png

12 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

whichever countries we're evangelizing to.

Get Olympic Stadium back into baseball condition and move north, or move south and give us the MonterRays.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'm not sure how much cheaper this option would be compared to fixing the roof, but could they just remove the support beams and play open-air for a couple seasons? I mean I know it can get hotter than a scorpion's nutsack in the summer down there, but they'd be playing in open air minor league stadiums anyways.

sig.png

35 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I'm not sure how much cheaper this option would be compared to fixing the roof, but could they just remove the support beams and play open-air for a couple seasons? I mean I know it can get hotter than a scorpion's nutsack in the summer down there, but they'd be playing in open air minor league stadiums anyways.

See my response above.

On 10/9/2024 at 11:44 PM, LMU said:

Ignoring the Rays future situation, the Trop was housing 10K first responders who are now suddenly having buckets of water dumped on them.

I know I'm late to the party, but in the days following it was announced that the Trop was meant to house the workers before and after the storm.  During the storm, the only people at the stadium were the 10 or so essential workers and they are safe.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Wasn't there a push for MLB expansion to Orlando a while ago, and rumours that a group wanted to bring the Rays to the City Beautiful?

Um, some old guy stood in front of a poorly drawn logo concept at a Rotary Club meeting one time, and the Rays kicked a few home games to Disney World in 2007 and 2008, but I don't think there's been any serious exploration of expansion or relocation to Orlando.

4 hours ago, TBGKon said:

DRaysBay posted an article providing some possibilities for the Rays in 2025, with some details on why some may work and some will not.

https://www.draysbay.com/2024/10/10/24266903/where-will-the-rays-play-in-2025

I haven't compared Tampa and Miami's schedules yet, but I could see trying to fill as many open dates in Miami first and then putting the rest in Orlando with maybe their home games against the Yankees moved to Steinbrenner Field for some nominal flag-planting in Tampa. I'm not great with Tampa Bay geography and wasn't aware that Port Charlotte is "a prison town where the only restaurant is a Hooters." Well, that's out. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

Um, some old guy stood in front of a poorly drawn logo concept at a Rotary Club meeting one time, and the Rays kicked a few home games to Disney World in 2007 and 2008, but I don't think there's been any serious exploration of expansion or relocation to Orlando.

I haven't compared Tampa and Miami's schedules yet, but I could see trying to fill as many open dates in Miami first and then putting the rest in Orlando with maybe their home games against the Yankees moved to Steinbrenner Field for some nominal flag-planting in Tampa. I'm not great with Tampa Bay geography and wasn't aware that Port Charlotte is "a prison town where the only restaurant is a Hooters." Well, that's out. 

Port Charlotte also is pretty far from an international level airport (Sarasota and Fort Myers are closer than Tampa or St Pete/Clearwater, and still maybe a half hour or hour away)

57 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

Port Charlotte also is pretty far from an international level airport (Sarasota and Fort Myers are closer than Tampa or St Pete/Clearwater, and still maybe a half hour or hour away)

They don't need an international-level airport, just one that can accommodate a 757-sized plane.  Punta Gorda is close to Port Charlotte as is Fort Meyers and both have regular jet service. CPB isn't much of an issue because they could either drive in agents to process a flight from Toronto at Punta Gorda, use Fort Myers which has a CPB office, or clear the flight at Pearson like they do with regular passenger flights between Toronto and the US.