2 minutes ago, goalieboy82 said:

don't the Rays have 2 mores to go on the lease....would they even want to put the money into the place at this point....

They have 3 seasons through the end of 2027 at the moment.  They were set to break ground in early 2025 on the new ballpark, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

9 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I still think that for 2025 the Rays will play in Orlando at Disney World.  It allows for proximity to hotels and a major airport for visiting teams.  Yes, there's a chance to have to deal with some rain delays but under the circumstances its the best option.

Agreed. I mean Oakland would be a last resort, or HawkTuah stadium in Arlington  or whatever it's called.

• LOL 1

sig.png

12 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Agreed. I mean Oakland would be a last resort, or HawkTuah stadium in Arlington  or whatever it's called.

I think east coast is most likely for TV purposes.  Reporting has thought of Durham, Marlins Park, Disney, and some combination of Gulf Coast spring training parks (Tampa, Clearwater, Port Charlotte, etc).   Short term, Disney is best but for 2026 and 2027 depending on what the status of the Trop is would be interesting.

• Like 3

Durham seems like wishcasting from people trying to prime the pump for expansion to Raleigh or other middling New South markets. It's 600 miles from home and it's not even as if it's so close to Baltimore that it makes perfect sense. The Florida sampler plate will be fine for this year.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would suggest going to Disney in the interim because it's fairly close to Tampa, and unlike many of the other ballparks along Florida's west coast, you don't have to worry about a second tenant.

But that may be the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a broken leg. Nobody is going to spend nine figures on repairing the Trop, knowing it will be torn down within a decade. I have a feeling the insurance company is going to stiff them because that roof was several years past the date it was due to be replaced. And I doubt the Rays did any sort of preventative maintenance on that roof the entire time they've been there.

There's also no easy answer for where to go if they have to wait more than a few months. Everything will have issues with stadium quality/capacity or location. And there's no incentive for any city that doesn't already have an MLB franchise to take them in unless they get some type of expansion promise, which may happen.

If they are indeed done for good at playing at the Trop, my guess is they'll end up in Nashville for a few seasons while a new ballpark is being built in exchange for Nashville getting an expansion team once the Rays move out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Admiral said:

Durham seems like wishcasting from people trying to prime the pump for expansion to Raleigh or other middling New South markets. It's 600 miles from home and it's not even as if it's so close to Baltimore that it makes perfect sense. The Florida sampler plate will be fine for this year.

I think the only reason Durham is brought up is because Durham is the Rays AAA affiliate.

I know Olympic Stadium in Montreal is getting a massive roof replacement, but does anyone know if it's started yet? 

That would be more than ideal really, especially given the geographical proximity to divisional teams and the moderate desire for a return of  baseball . Add in 2 "home" series against the Jays as well. 

sig.png

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2024/10/16/county-dome-paycor-stadium-bengals-nfl-football.html

Hamilton County (who owns the stadium) will look into the cost and logistics of putting a dome on Paycor Stadium in Cincinnati.  The county and the Bengals are exploring renovations as the stadium opened in 2000 and the Bengals lease expires in 2026. The county declined to provide other details including who is paying for the study, or who would possibly pay for the construction of a dome (quite honestly neither party would want to pay for it). The Bengals said in 2023 that they are not interested in a new stadium, nor a  dome.

IMHO, Cincinnati doesnt need a domed stadium. What the city does need is a new indoor arena, however, the people here dont want anymore sports venues payed for with taxpayer money. The only reason TQL Stadium got built was because it was privately funded. For either of these projects to happen they need to be privately funded otherwise they aint happening and right now for both projects, the city/county, and teams dont want to pay for them, meaning the only other option would be private funding and we dont have any billionaires willing to do that here.

Signature intentionally left blank

8 minutes ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

I know Olympic Stadium in Montreal is getting a massive roof replacement, but does anyone know if it's started yet? 

That would be more than ideal really, especially given the geographical proximity to divisional teams and the moderate desire for a return of  baseball . Add in 2 "home" series against the Jays as well. 

Yes. The removal of the fabric roof began in July, and the removal of the metal structure for the roof was to begin this fall. The stadium isnt scheduled to reopen until at least 2027.

Signature intentionally left blank

10 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2024/10/16/county-dome-paycor-stadium-bengals-nfl-football.html

Hamilton County (who owns the stadium) will look into the cost and logistics of putting a dome on Paycor Stadium in Cincinnati.

"Say the line, Bart!"
"this will help us attract Final Fours :("

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

Yes. The removal of the fabric roof began in July, and the removal of the metal structure for the roof was to begin this fall. The stadium isnt scheduled to reopen until at least 2027.

2027 you say?  That's more than enough time for Fisher's Las Vegas plan to fall apart and leave them looking for a new home👀

sig.png

1 hour ago, tigerslionspistonshabs said:

Man, if this hurricane had happened last year aka before the new stadium deal got done, how many people would be thinking that this was some sort of trick to get a deal done? Like ownership somehow weakened the integrity of the roof to ensure damage....the theories would be flying. 

Probably invested in China's hurricane generator machine.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1