MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Elmos World 17 said:

Yea but it’s the Yankees, MLBs favorite team. When they played the Rays in Japan they got to wear their home uniform and the Rays wore their road uni even though they were the designated home team. Definitely a bias.

That doesn't bother me as much though because the home/road rules still applied. There have been instances of home teams wearing road jerseys for w/e reason. I don't like when it's road/road or home/home, though.

Watching footage from the 1980s and the stadiums had no ads at all. How quaint. (My understanding is Camden Yards in 1992 repopularized ads in stadiums, as most ads made a comeback afterward).

9 minutes ago, Quillz said:

That doesn't bother me as much though because the home/road rules still applied. There have been instances of home teams wearing road jerseys for w/e reason. I don't like when it's road/road or home/home, though.

I don’t mind Grey vs Powder Blue though, but I’d prefer not to see it during a TBTC Game. It is Road vs Road.

da0Lbhs.png

2 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I'm not very comfortable with that, either. For most of the history of the Hall of Fame Game, both teams wore their road uniforms.

1966-hof-game.png

1976-hof-game-Aaron-and-Mays.png

That makes some sense logically, though. Aren't those both exhibition games played at a neutral location? In that case, they would literally be two road teams. It's different in the case of these London games where these are regular season games with a designated home team. In that case, both teams wearing their homes or roads makes no sense.

American sports teams (at least the major money-printing leagues) don't need uniform ads. They're all franchises of the giant cash-generating league machine and share revenue, which has the benefit of letting them "advertise" the team identity, rather than putting a giant Emirates logo where the team name otherwise would be. (This is less true of the non-big-four sports, which, even if using a franchise model, sometimes need all the money they can get to stay afloat)

The reason club-based sports have ads are because clubs historically are much more independent than franchise-based leagues and are somewhat sink-or-swim financially on their own (for the same reason your kids' amateur club sport might have ads on their shirts). This is arguably less true now that some of the top leagues have copied aspects of the closed-circle money sharing bonanza (particularly the top Champions League teams) but it's not just a case of "well european sports teams have ads, so why not American teams?"

2 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Those poor, starving NBA owners thought differently.

Oh yeah, and I hated that. This was more about the "but european teams have ads and are sometimes even named after companies!" argument which ignored the difference between a franchise-based league like the NBA and club-based leagues. 

(for instance, I don't really mind the WNBA having ads because those teams need the cash, even if they're franchises, but you can't tell me that the Sixers are going to be financially insolvent without Stubhub bucks)

2 minutes ago, fbjim said:

Oh yeah, and I hated that. This was more about the "but european teams have ads and are sometimes even named after companies!" argument which ignored the difference between a franchise-based league like the NBA and club-based leagues. 

(for instance, I don't really mind the WNBA having ads because those teams need the cash, even if they're franchises, but you can't tell me that the Sixers are going to be financially insolvent without Stubhub bucks)

It's basically the new variant of "If you don't give us more money, we're moving the team!" Teams will explain why they need that ad revenue, to make sure we can remain competitive, blah blah blah. I'd be fine with ads on NBA jerseys if we didn't get commercial breaks like we do in soccer, but of course that didn't happen.

Watching that game got me thinking about the Red Sox Red Alternate Jersey. I’m one of the people who actually kinda like it, but was there any reason to remove the Blue Piping in 2009? It makes it look more plain and lazy compared to how it was pre-2009.

Then:

spacer.png

VS.

Now:

spacer.png

da0Lbhs.png

I actually don't mind the sleeve Ad too much. But maybe that's because for the red Sox, it looks like a green monster type ad or team patch. It sort of pops naturally. 

Now for the Yankees, green on that jersey is pretty harsh. Ads on a helmet have never looked right to me. 

The sleeve Ad looks more like a team patch or anniversary logo.  We're used to patches and logos there. But a helmet ad should never exist in my eyes. 

The sport used to be so clean. Now there's gonna be five ads on teams uniforms

41 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

If MLB had to have the Yankees in their iconic pinstripes for the London Series, they should have created road gray versions of them as one-offs

Or use the never-implemented 1970s color reversed road uniforms (navy blue w/ white pinstripes).

54 minutes ago, philly97flyer said:

If MLB had to have the Yankees in their iconic pinstripes for the London Series, they should have created road gray versions of them as one-offs

Thats actually not a bad idea. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived