MLB 2019 Changes

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Brandon9485 said:

From 1969-2004, the Expos drafted/signed and developed these Hall of Famers into major league players:

Gary Carter

Andre Dawson

Tim Raines

Randy Johnson

Vladimir Guerrero 

Possible Hall of Farmer:

Larry Walker

That is pretty impressive. Did any other team develop as many during that time period? I can think of 4 with the Padres; Winfield, Ozzie Smith, Gwynn, and Roberto Alomar. 

wow, do we really have the 2nd most Hall of Famers during that time period? crazy to even think about.

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I'd give the Expos most of the credit for Pedro Martinez, too.

I wouldn't. Not if we're talking about the organizations that signed/drafted and developed the players. Pedro signed with the Dodgers in '88 and spent 6 years/4 full seasons in the Dodger organization developing.

19 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

That's debatable. Since they moved to DC, they've gone to the playoffs five times and this is the first time of those five that they've made it past the NLDS. Two-thirds of their time in DC have been spent at home during the playoffs.

I mean that doesn't sound that bad to me.  The Expos went to the playoffs 1 time in 35 years.  5 playoff appearances in 15 years isn't shabby.  4 division titles and a World Series appearance in that span, some teams would kill for that.

No denying that the pre-Strasburg years were rough though.  And yes, they did have a knack for choking in the postseason

90758391980.gif

It's not really fair to compare playoff appearances and division titles from the two eras, though, since only four teams made the playoffs before 1995 and 10 do today.  Likewise, there are six division champions today instead of four.  Of course, the same point applies to NFL playoff appearances, NCAA basketball tournament appearances, etc.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:33 AM, dont care said:

If you say they can’t give credit to developing Pedro into a customer young winning pitcher, I’d say they didn’t for randy Johnson considering he spent less than 2 seasons with them.

Although Randy spent nearly 6 full season in the Expos organization including his minor league career. I'd say Pedro developed with the Dodgers and Randy with the Expos if you look at who they signed with, spent all or most of their young minor league seasons with and who they came up with. 

On 10/15/2019 at 11:03 PM, Jungle Jim said:

I'm not happy to see yet another World Series played in batting practice jerseys, all in the name of superstition.  (Yes, I know they're "alternates".)  It's like someone wearing a hoodie to their wedding.

Or a team being officially called Vegas instead of Las Vegas.

The Nats had a simulated game practice at their stadium last night and a little birdie told me they were wearing the combo below.  Hopefully this is just for practice.  Wearing the blue alternates during the WS is bad enough, but I get it because of superstition.  But breaking out the red alternate hat with it on the biggest stage would be tragic.

Image result for washington nationals 2018

90758391980.gif

34 minutes ago, dont care said:

What’s the matter with that hat? Looks fine to me.

The hat itself is fine (except for the MiLB looking different colored vent hole things.  I believe its the only hat in MLB to have that: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdmxZFTDM3XoRzb6ZKXy_DDxqC2G3XRUibQVsFW0zH7HARWD0l6Mop2xGJUgML59rbr6sVt_IrJ25kyZnQ5gG20wzS9D-n0X3Dz_hZLY4&usqp=CAc

But not a fan of it when paired with the blue jersey.  Especially on the biggest stage that baseball has.

90758391980.gif

36 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The hat itself is fine (except for the MiLB looking different colored vent hole things.  I believe its the only hat in MLB to have that: shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdmxZFTDM3XoRzb6ZKXy_DDxqC2G3XRUibQVsFW0zH7HARWD0l6Mop2xGJUgML59rbr6sVt_IrJ25kyZnQ5gG20wzS9D-n0X3Dz_hZLY4&usqp=CAc

But not a fan of it when paired with the blue jersey.  Especially on the biggest stage that baseball has.

I agree. If they’re going to wear a red cap, go with the solid red. Here’s hoping the home whites or road grays get at least one game.

Umpires to Wear “Coop” Patch in 2019 World Series

October 21, 2019 - 20:52 PM

Major League Baseball this afternoon announced that all umpires working during the upcoming 2019 World Series will wear a memorial “COOP” patch on their uniforms in honour of umpire Eric Cooper. Cooper, who had been a Major League umpire for […]

Read More...

10 hours ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

The Nats had a simulated game practice at their stadium last night and a little birdie told me they were wearing the combo below.  Hopefully this is just for practice.  Wearing the blue alternates during the WS is bad enough, but I get it because of superstition.  But breaking out the red alternate hat with it on the biggest stage would be tragic.

Image result for washington nationals 2018

They've practiced in those caps before. They're not going to wear them in the game.

ImageImage

Yeah it seems like the Nats alternate hat has been used for batting practice this postseason but they use the standard road in games. I'd imagine the World Series wouldn't be any different, they seem to be a little superstitious. 

SouthParkBaseballOriolespngsmall.png

Nats “Lucky Blue” Jerseys Continue Magic in World Series

October 23, 2019 - 22:27 PM

The Washington Nationals have a “lucky uniform” situation going on folks. During the 2019 Major League Baseball Postseason, the Washington Nationals are a perfect 8-0 when rocking the best uniform currently in their rotation, the navy blue jerseys with “Nationals” […]

Read More...

Archived