Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

17 hours ago, MN Wilkings said:

The first thing I thought of with the Milwaukee script was Milwaukee Tools. I had to look up theirs logo since I wasn’t very familiar with it. Both scripts don’t have loops on the l and k. And both have two flat portions on the tops on the e’s. I realize there are many differences, but I can see now why I thought of Milwaukee Tools right away. 

spacer.png

That’s a huge stretch. That wordmark is way more jagged and doesn’t have the smooth cursive that the Brewers uniform has.

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only when those nits are treated as though they completely negate any and all positive aspects. There's a difference between "I wish they would've done *this* but overall it's good" and "I wish they would've done *this* and since they didn't, it's all trash".

1 hour ago, PoppersPop said:

Have you had a single positive thing to say about this Brewers rebrand? It's been pretty well-received by the whole board here, despite it not being perfect.

I think it's pretty underwhelming. 

So, I just wanted to address the off-centered wordmarks:

-With the serifs, the B becomes wider than the S by a serif, shifting the W slightly right of middle.

-The BRE is spaced out more than the WERS are on the actual jersey:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-18-at-8.40.51-PM.png

(BRE has some space between the yellow border)

Screen-Shot-2019-11-18-at-9.51.05-PM.png

(WERS are touching at the yellow)

-As a result, on the uniform, it appears like the wordmark won't be as off center as it looks.

In the case of the road MILWAUKEE:

-The placket removes the kerning between the W and A causing the MILW to be shifted left.

(Side note: This is very likely the reason the A looks the way it does; if it was a traditional triangular A, the space between the W and A on the uniform would look awful)

-As a result, the AUKEE is spaced out a bit more than the MILW:

Screen-Shot-2019-11-18-at-8.57.33-PM.png

-Again, on the uniform the wordmark is centered.

The spacing corrections are barely visible and aren't that big of a deal.

I'd rather have inconsistent spacing than this placket garbage:

AdrianHouser-32c5bdd3-44a7-4f16-ac55-644

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

After sitting on this for a couple days, I'd have to rate this rebrand a solid "B."

It accomplished all the important tasks.  The Brewers found a way to address their identity issues in an evolutionary way without tossing the Miller Park years out of the window.  Navy looks better with cream than royal, and I think the addition of cream is one of the strongest things about this rebrand.  The Brewers using cream is long overdue.

I'd be lying if I said I saw these particular uniforms becoming timeless and iconic.  But I don't think that necessarily has to be a bad thing.  Occasional tweaks were all the Brewers used to do, from the time the came from Seattle until the end of the BiG era.  It's why they never needed a major rebrand in that time and why they'll never need another one going forward.  

Yes, the Brewers identity is a bit of a hodgepedge, but that's Milwaukee's history.  It's the only city with two stints in both leagues.  And the Brewers are named after a minor league team that named itself after a major league team.  They've collected some unique historical identifying marks in that time and I'm glad to see homages to them in this set.

I'll save my tweaks for another time.  But I'm looking forward to seeing the Brewers look like the Brewers again.

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

I think it's pretty underwhelming. 

To expand on this...

I like a lot of the ideas on display, but nothing gels together. I'm sure someone will call these "nitpicks," but whatever. It's a public message board.

I don't like the navy. Someone keeps trying to compare this to the Astros' rebrand, and no. The Astros' original look the current identity references used navy. The Brewers are trying to reference a uniform set that used athletic gold and royal blue, but they've shifted the royal to navy. It's a downgrade. It looks bland in the Brewers' case. The royal the set does feature is used so sparingly that it adds nothing.

The updated ball in glove isn't that great, and the one update that would have made it nicer (the barley baseball) wasn't included. I was never the biggest ball in glove fan, but it's been robbed of all of its charm. And maybe it's just me, but the new navy ball in glove on a navy hat looks REALLY bland. The gold-panelled alternate cap is worse in that it's just ugly.

The road alternate script is atrocious. I've seen plenty of bad handwriting in my day, but I've never seen writing that transforms from serifed text to cursive script at the horizontal division.

The uniforms lack some unifying factors. The pinstriped homes lack cuff piping. The road greys have it. The alternate cream homes have it, but it's a different pattern than the road greys. The road navy alternate has it in (I think) the style of the road greys, but the colours aren't altered so it functionally looks like a third distinct style of sleeve piping.

The utter lack of uniformity across all elements. I touched on this above, but it's a problem that covers both jerseys and logos. The jerseys feature a terrible "Milwaukee" script on the road alternate and block "MILWAUKEE" text on the road primary. That doesn't match. The above-mentioned sleeve piping doesn't match. The logos are all over the place. The primary is completely unnecessary. The beer barrel man, as nice as he is, doesn't appear on anything, making him unnecessary. The ball in glove logos feature a baseball that's distinct from the stand-alone barley baseball. The Wisconsin alternate is....also there?

Logo-wise the team is all over the place. They really only need two, maybe three, logos.

All in all? It's better than what they had, but it's far from perfect. It seems like the team was divided on whether they wanted to go with the inaugural beer barrel man/block M identity or the latter ball in glove identity. Someone should have taken charge with a decision one way or the other, but instead we got an identity with too many disparate elements all fighting for space.

Everything looks fine on its own, but the whole set isn't coming together for me. Probably because it's made out of elements from different identities with no real effort to make it a cohesive package.

1 hour ago, VancouverFan69 said:

One of the very best rebrands in sports this year. No pun intended, but the Brewers covered all the bases on everything, from acknowledging their heritage and history to making little updates.

No. I will not stand for this unacceptable crazy talk. ALWAYS intend your puns. Even when you don't, at least pretend you did 😁

15 hours ago, coco1997 said:

This kind of makes me wonder what the Brewers would look like in a cream, forest green and royal blue scheme, iincorporating elements of their current look, their BiG era blue and their mid-90s "Motre Bame" era green.  

Something like this?

spacer.pngspacer.png

Apologies for the rather rough nature of the logo... I used the Bucks' green, but tried to fit blue in (you can still see it a bit in the cap), but it wasn't quite working as I would've liked.

Archived