Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SFGiants58 said:

Why do people get so worked up about design speak? If you don't like it, just ignore it. 

I look forward to it almost as much as the actual designs themselves.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

11 hours ago, Eastport76 said:

Honestly, I loved it. The new wordmarks are much better than their last season' crappy scripts. And, I'm happy they're using "Milwaukee" for the road. I had three complaints. One, Why don't use royal blue on uniforms or have a royal blue jersey for home games only? Two, Why the road is usually light grey? It's very common in the majors. Why don't try more unique like blue-tint grey or powder blue? Last but not least, I don't like the "M" and "B" connected by webbing. It's weird.

Why a another roundel? The "BiG" look way better it stands for own. Least they got rid of metallic gold and crappy scripts well, the number font. Also, I loved the return of The Barrelman and the "barley ball". All of the uniforms looks great minus the yellow panel cap and the swoosh in front, honestly.

Why the road is usually light grey? It's very common in the majors. Why don't try more unique like blue-tint grey or powder blue?   People were so up in arms about the Dbacks trying something cool and different for the road uniforms and look what happened?  People would have been wanting the blue-tint grey to go away just as quickly. 

5 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Why do people get so worked up about design speak? If you don't like it, just ignore it. 

It's like this is a forum centered around logo and uniform design, where people feel passionately about minutiae.  Some of this designspeak nonsense is simultaneously pretentious and pandering.  It sucks. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

3 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

The BiG gets lost at distance on the navy caps.  It's Marlins-level tonal obfuscation.

Can this be avoided?  Yellow front panels on the road alternate cap give off a Boy Scouts Scouts BSA vibe.  Two possible additional ways:

• Make the logo royal, but still use navy as a cap and uniform base?  Wouldn't be the first time a logo color wasn't featured in the team's uniform color palette.
  • Thicken the yellow outlines within the logo.  Fear here is that we get logo bloat.

RIP in peace, wheat-underlined M.

They could do something in the lines of what the St. Louis Blues do with their home blues (navy crest on royal background). I do agree that the yellow outlines have never done enough on making the BiG more visible. It just blends in too much with the base color.

2 minutes ago, CS85 said:

It's like this is a forum centered around logo and uniform design, where people feel passionately about minutiae.  Some of this designspeak nonsense is simultaneously pretentious and pandering.  It sucks. 

Oh, I understand. But you guys always get worked up by it. Just ignore it.

Meditate, breath, and realize that it's ultimately just like the "optional readings" in college classes. You don't have to read it, you don't have to moan about it, and you can just move onto the actual design.

9 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

I don’t have a source to back this up, but I think we’re due for a new crop of BP hats. Maybe Barrel Man will make his debut then.  

I'd be surprised if they changed material, as it was quite nice and New Era uses it on a ton of other hats, but I'm pretty sure we'll see a bunch of new colorways and/or logos. BP hats are pretty much on a one-year+ cycle. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

My $.02...

A solid B+. I still like the royal over the navy but getting rid or Vegas gold/khaki in favor of athletic gold is definitely an upgrade. I hope the pinstripes becomes the primary home. The Milwaukee script is wasted on the navy alternate. The navy alternate is by far the weakest of the bunch. The gold headspoon piping is way too thick and is completely unnecessary. 

Overall, this decade has brought a lot of welcomed changes. 

42 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The pandering to long-gone industry is kind of annoying, as if Milwaukee isn't dominated by the same make-work desk jobs as everywhere else.

Is it long gone from Milwaukee though. They still have the miller HQ. Also more than 30 local breweries. It’s still a big part of Milwaukee.

1 hour ago, Wally1912 said:

I always thought the ears of grain shown withing the Brewers logos were barley, one of the primary ingredients in brewing beer. I am very surprised they are listed as wheat, which is an ingredient in certain types of beer, but certainly not part of the American lager style that Milwaukee is famous for.

https://brewers.fanportal-mlb.com/glovestory/

"A brand-new mark, the Wheat Ball is inspired by wheat from past Brewers logos to honor MKE's brewing tradition."

The grain in the logos is barley. As you point out, elsewhere on the Brewers' website the official write-ups about the uniform unveiling include comments such as...

In '94, for their 25th season in Milwaukee, the club made the dubious decision to change to an interlocking "M" and "B", then changed again in 2000 with a script "Brewers" adorned with barley to mark the pending move to Miller Park.

On the left sleeve of both versions of the home uniform is a baseball patch with seams of barley
, borrowing from the 2000-19 logo.

Malted barley - along with water, hops and yeast - are the primary ingredients in beer. As for the addition of adjunct grains in the production of American lager, corn and rice have historically been much more prevalent than wheat.

Bottom line? The copywriters at MLB.com don't know their butts from their barley.  

My theory on the various uniforms mismatching:

- The home cream clearly call back to the original uniforms, the "Pilots Leftovers", if you will.

- The road striping matches the previous set, the M-Wheat era (before they removed it from the pants, of course)

- The pinstripes are self-explanatory, so why the hell are you still reading this? Move on to the next one. Sheesh. If you can't figure that out on your own, your on the wrong website.

- And I guess the placket piping on the navy alternate is a call back to the Motre Bame set, which used placket piping (except on the navy blue alternates... ironically)

So was this their rationale for nothing matching?

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

The pandering to long-gone industry is kind of annoying, as if Milwaukee isn't dominated by the same make-work desk jobs as everywhere else.

You're annoyed that the Brewers are taking inspiration from Milwaukee's...brewing industry? What would you have them look like? 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

It's not as if Milwaukee hasn't gone to great lengths to preserve the relics of its heavy industry days and repurpose them. It's why the old Pabst campus is now a trendy hotel, a craft brewery, and a tap room. Blatz is now a university building. And Schlitz is a business park.

Archived