Milwaukee Brewers 2020 Logo/Uniforms

daveindc

28 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Amen. 

I’ve been a Brewers fan who hates the logo and uniforms for the past twenty years; it’s dispiriting that I have to keep on doing it but that’s where we are. 

They're close enough for me. Do you hate them as much as you hated the previous set?

• Replies 949
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

They're close enough for me. Do you hate them as much as you hated the previous set?

I do, actually.  At least with the prior set we had a retro throwback option.  Now that’s gone.... 

Don’t get me wrong, there are things that are huge improvements, such as number font and color scheme.  But destroying the logo feels like a breaking point for me. 

49 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I do, actually.  At least with the prior set we had a retro throwback option.  Now that’s gone.... 

Don’t get me wrong, there are things that are huge improvements, such as number font and color scheme.  But destroying the logo feels like a breaking point for me. 

They'll still do throwback stuff. Also, I'd hardly call the logo "destroyed." I get why you feel that way, but it just comes off as hyperbolic.

Hating it as much as the old set seems downright demented to me.

I think this set looks pretty great. As I Marlins fan, I am super envious of the San Diego and Milwaukee fanbases right now. In both instances they were suffering with terrible designs all the while yearning for the teams to re-adopt vintage looks. They didn't get those precisely but rather new, elegant identities that are modern interpretations very much in the spirit of what they've worn in the past.

I would give anything for the Marlins to have gone in this direction instead of what they ended up doing.

18 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

They'll still do throwback stuff.

I’m told they said at the event last night that the throwback uniforms are gone. 

18 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Also, I'd hardly call the logo "destroyed." I get why you feel that way, but it just comes off as hyperbolic.

Thats okay, I don’t mind.  

But good designs can be easily destroyed, and this is one example where minor changes have a major impact.  “Centering” the ball is such a bad choice I can’t believe a designer wanted to do that. 

13 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

They'll still do throwback stuff. Also, I'd hardly call the logo "destroyed." I get why you feel that way, but it just comes off as hyperbolic.

Hating it as much as the old set seems downright demented to me.

I'll second this.  I just logged on and haven't read through any of the comments before Page 33, but allowing the changes to the BIG (annoying as they are) to ruin the rest of the set seems like picking the smallest of nits.

Overall, the changes to the BIG notwithstanding, I really like almost all of this.  I think the pre-BIG set mimicked by the primary home uniforms has always been extremely underrated, so I really like the new home uniform.  The only thing I really don't like other than the new BIG is the Milwaukee script on the blue jersey.  It inevitably reminds the viewer (or at least me) of the Milwaukee script from the original BIG roads and just doesn't look as good.  I don't know if "sterile" is the right word for it, but it just doesn't quite work for me.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 minute ago, Gothamite said:

I’m told they said at the event last night that the throwback uniforms are gone. 

I meant doing throwbacks, but on irregular occasions.

Thats okay, I don’t mind.  

But good designs can be easily destroyed, and this is one example where minor changes have a major impact.  “Centering” the ball is such a bad choice I can’t believe a designer wanted to do that. 

If you want to go that route, that’s fine. I get it. But you have to understand, you’re in the minority with letting it ruin the whole design for you. That’s why I called it “demented.”

The BiG gets lost at distance on the navy caps.  It's Marlins-level tonal obfuscation.

Can this be avoided?  Yellow front panels on the road alternate cap give off a Boy Scouts Scouts BSA vibe.  Two possible additional ways:

• Make the logo royal, but still use navy as a cap and uniform base?  Wouldn't be the first time a logo color wasn't featured in the team's uniform color palette.
  • Thicken the yellow outlines within the logo.  Fear here is that we get logo bloat.

RIP in peace, wheat-underlined M.

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

12 hours ago, WSU151 said:

The pinstripe uni is excellent, IMO and better than the usual MLB pee-stained cream jersey. 

When you have a white element in the hat paired with a cream jersey, it looks terrible.  The Mets' and Giants' cream jerseys (over the years) looked okay because the hats had no bright white element. 

This new set is way better than the old one. Love the navy alternate...new font is pretty incredible.

Exactly why I don’t like the Portland trailblazers city jersey. They are cream/vintage white base with red and white stripes and it just makes it look dingy.

40 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

I'll second this.  I just logged on and haven't read through any of the comments before Page 33, but allowing the changes to the BIG (annoying as they are) to ruin the rest of the set seems like picking the smallest of nits.

Well hang on there, Scarecrow. 

Thats not the only problem I have with this set. 

I really don’t like the letter font.   It’s too busy on the names, and the awkward serifs on the “W” push it (and the whole wordmark) off-center.   Check out the graphic they released:

spacer.png

In order to center the wordmark, you can see that the “W” spans the placket.  That doesn’t happen on the actual jersey, so they cheat it over to make the wordmark fit. That’s a sign of bad design, and it’s entirely caused by those unnecessary winged serifs. 

I also don’t like the thick sleeve piping all by itself. I think anything that obtrusive really needs placket or neck piping for balance.  This looks incomplete to me (and was one of the complaints I had with the prior set). 

I also don’t think the wheaty-ball really works as a sleeve patch.  It’s not... enough.  And it’s very frustrating that they introduced a new Barrelman logo but still refused to put it on the sleeves of any of the four jerseys.  And what’s the point in adding a thin royal blue stripe but not using it elsewhere?  That’s pretty dumb, and again a warning flag for bad design. 

There are things to like.  The brick-state is good.  The number font is great.  I like the colors.  But there are a lot of problems that all add up to big issues, and even if they hadn't ruined the logo I wouldn’t love this set. 

This was frustratingly close to perfect. 

The cuff piping on the road and navy jerseys match (the Brewers had the same effect in the previous set) but they went with the oversized, 70's style piping on the cream home. If the Brewers had made the home jersey piping match the pants and move the positioning down to the cuff so no jersey fabric peeks out, they'd have nailed it. 

This was super close to perfect and its a little frustrating they missed it. They really wanted to keep that double-knit era detail for the home jersey and in return the set as a whole lost some cohesion. 

37 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I meant doing throwbacks, but on irregular occasions.

“You’ll see the good uniforms maybe once or twice a year!” is hardly a defense of the new set. 

If you want to go that route, that’s fine. I get it. But you have to understand, you’re in the minority with letting it ruin the whole design for you. That’s why I called it “demented.”

And now that you know it didn’t alone ruin the whole look for me? 😉

Just now, Gothamite said:

And now that you know it’s not ruining the whole look for me?  😉

I do, and your complaints are totally legitimate. Still, compared to what they had, it's miles above. That's why I made the "hyperbole" comment.

I'm not a big fan of the cream jersey's cuffs or the wheat ball patch (give me that Owgust), but I'm not about to let it ruin the design for me. The "W" in "Brewers" does need tweaking, I'll give you that. Still, it's vastly superior to what came before.

“You’ll see the good uniforms maybe once or twice a year!” is hardly a defense of the new set. 

But these are good uniforms, despite their flaws. I get it, you're not happy with it, but to hate it like the old set just comes off as silly to me. Then again, this whole endeavor is silly, so WTF do I know? ;) 

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I'm just happy the road uniforms use a "Milwaukee" wordmark, but damn does that script look good from this angle! That should be on the road uniform.

Overall, I'm pleased with these options. Good work, Brewers.

They resemble predictions you made 2 years ago! 😁

https://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/111797-mlb-project-32-new-dugout-jackets-added/?do=findComment&comment=2798707

I understand the criticisms of the flaws that are very real in this set, but I just have to say that they're still a vast improvement over the old Brewers set. I've hated the clunky Brewers logo and how it looked on the uniforms for years, and these actually look like real, classic, good baseball uniforms with real wordmarks. Count me as a fan - and I dig the script Milwaukee on the road alternates.

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

Archived