Sports things you miss (The good old days)

10 minutes ago, Buc said:

I know some didn't care for him, but I really enjoyed Jon Gruden when he was in the booth. He didn't talk too loudly or fast, and of course had that same fire (albeit subdued because TV). And, until ESPN turned him into Sean Salisbury 2.0, I really liked Trent Dilfer as an analyst, as well. Neither would be mistaken for Madden or Summerall, but they weren't wooden like a Troy Aikman or *gasp* Joe Buck, either. 

I blame listening too much to focus groups. Or whatever the equivalent is for broadcasters. They try to find the solution that is the most palatable and yet are shocked when someone that is neither controversial or offensive or whatever is boring. You can't get a guy like Howard Cosell when you're worried that a few people (who may not even be your audience) are going to launch a boycott over who knows what. 

And that leaks over into everything else. TV is boring, movies are boring, radio is boring and sports are getting boring. The Internet is where creative energy is now so I'd sooner hire UrinatingTree to call a game than Recently Retired Star QB.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Man, I remember watching the Cubs on WGN when I was a kid. I was too young to know what drunk was then, but looking back I think there were games when he was blitzed before he even went to the booth.

Sports announcers nowadays should be allowed to drink. 

i too watch Cubs games (and even Iowa Cubs too) when i was a kid.  first time i remember watching a  game was in September 1989 on WGN when i moved back to the State (after living overseas).  saw games that were tape delayed out of LA on the TV, (i think they were tape delayed, don't know for sure, on FEN for those of you how were in the military)

FEN for people who don't know

this was when i would have been in Japan at the time.  

• Like 2

so long and thanks for all the fish.

I miss the World Series patch being on the left side of the cap. The camera angle they use on the broadcast made it so much more prominent and helped to make it feel like an event. 

Now they've flipped it for that stupid New Era logo and you hardly see the patches at all. It just doesn't have that same magic.

• Like 1

Few things I want to add.

1: I miss ABC Sports and Keith Jackson commentating games for the network. Also his commentary in NCAA Gamebreaker is something I do enjoy now as an adult.

2: Speaking on Gamebreaker. I miss 989 Sports and Acclaim Sports. While I have a bad history of NFL Gameday 2002 (Bad controls and being a bit glitchy being two of the reasons). I used to love the NHL Face-Off series with NHL Face-Off 97 a personal favorite growing up. As for Acclaim, while I never played a lot of Quarterback Club, I did enjoy 2002 recently and wished they improved with another game. Still to be honest, SEGA Sports and EA were better growing up. Also miss SEGA Sports to be honest. 

• Like 2

My Alternative History Sports Stories:

CFL-USA - A Different Telling/StL Americans TL

I miss stadiums without giant video boards. They take away from the experience of being present at the event. So many people end up watching the game on the big screen rather than the action on the field below. To me this is all about the concept of being in the present moment, rather than a distaste of technology. I understand that people want the best view or whatever, but I like the idea of just being present in the moment.

I miss the days when simply being at a game was the whole experience. Now we have a giant screen to distract us momentarily from the little screens in our hands, all while the action is taking place right in front of us. I know it's way too late to ever return to such a time, but I wish we could just appreciate experiencing a live game without giant video boards.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I miss stadiums without giant video boards. They take away from the experience of being present at the event. So many people end up watching the game on the big screen rather than the action on the field below. To me this is all about the concept of being in the present moment, rather than a distaste of technology. I understand that people want the best view or whatever, but I like the idea of just being present in the moment.

I miss the days when simply being at a game was the whole experience. Now we have a giant screen to distract us momentarily from the little screens in our hands, all while the action is taking place right in front of us. I know it's way too late to ever return to such a time, but I wish we could just appreciate experiencing a live game without giant video boards.

A friggin MEN!  It's well known on this board my wishes to go back to a simpler Game Day Experience 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 6/26/2020 at 4:14 PM, Olmec said:

I miss John Madden in the booth. I bust out Madden 05 when I'm feeling nostalgic. 

On 6/26/2020 at 5:19 PM, goalieboy82 said:

and Pat Summerall too.

RIP to them both

Dick Enberg "OH MY" another great announcer along with Vin Scully, the latter passing since the last post of this thread (along with Madden). I learned of Vin's passing when I was on my Caribbean vacation

Edited by TrueYankee26
  • Love 1

Not going to go back to see if I already posted this, but TWIB is #1 for me.  It was the only way I ever got to see AL players, and highlights of non-local games (didn't grow up with cable TV.)

This one covers Mike Schmidt's 500th.

• Love 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The closing credits music on TWIB was terrific. I also didn't have cable and the limited access and shows like this gave baseball more of a mysticism than it has when you can see highlights from every mlb game if you'd like now.

I miss utilitarian stadiums. Do I actually think I'd be happier if my home ballpark was Metropolitan Stadium than Target Field? No. But I have fond memories of going to games at Met Center (North Stars), County Stadium, and even the (really terrible) Metrodome...places that were built with plenty of flaws but also not with the revenue - maximizing features of now. Just seats pointed at a rink/field/court. I really love going to the few remaining old places (Fenway, Wrigley, Dodger Stadium, Mount Davis, several college venues)...just feels "simpler."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

The closing credits music on TWIB was terrific. I also didn't have cable and the limited access and shows like this gave baseball more of a mysticism than it has when you can see highlights from every mlb game if you'd like now.

I also vaguely remember them doing a piece on Gary Sheffield back when he was like 18 or 19 and just getting his start with the Brewers.  Because of that, I collected his cards even though I couldn't ever actually see him play till he got traded to the Padres and eventually Marlins where he broke out (and probably discovered some magic vitamins.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/21/2023 at 5:39 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

NHL on ESPN is back, hopefully it will not be long until NBC and Roundball Rock returns to the NBA world

in a perfect world the NBA would not have left NBC (i haven't watch the NBA in years only be its not as fun to watch when i was growing up)

• Like 1

so long and thanks for all the fish.