Sports things you miss (The good old days)

I'm very gratified at so many terrific responses.

I would add I miss Jim McKay and ABC having the Olympics.

And I also miss that both Summer & Winter games would be held in a leap year.  Now they stagger them.

I miss when the Olympics were about (or supposedly about) amateur athletes.  The whole Dream Team thing really shattered it for me, although from what I understand other countries had their professionals compete in the Olympics, so that really sullied the Olympic games for me altogether.

Just now, wdm1219inpenna said:

I'm very gratified at so many terrific responses.

I would add I miss Jim McKay and ABC having the Olympics.

And I also miss that both Summer & Winter games would be held in a leap year.  Now they stagger them.

I miss when the Olympics were about (or supposedly about) amateur athletes.  The whole Dream Team thing really shattered it for me, although from what I understand other countries had their professionals compete in the Olympics, so that really sullied the Olympic games for me altogether.

The US voted AGAINST having professionals in Olympic basketball competition.

Olympic men's soccer is 23-under, with a couple of over aged players.  Basketball should do this.

• Like 3

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

Sleeves on football jerseys.

MLB games that were played in under 3 hours

Mel Allen doing TWIB

MLB Game of the Week on NBC

MNF on ABC with Frank, Howard, and Dandy Don (Look it up, youngsters. You'll be glad you did)

Super Bowls that started before 6:30 PM 

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

On 5/19/2020 at 2:02 PM, B-Rich said:

One more--

Back when HLN was CNN Headline News, on a rotating half-hour format, with sports at the :19 and :49 minute mark.  

Good to catch scores and maybe a highlight or two, and of course they had the best announcer, Van Earl Wright.  Even though he was never shown on-air, Wright's wacky voice mannerisms and pronunciations became legendary during Headline News' sports segments during the 80s and 90s;  especially his elongated pronunciation of 'Los An-ge-leeees' and the way he read his mandated sign-off with a series of all kinds of interesting inflection.

"I'm Van Earl Wright!!! CNN!!! Headliiiiinnnnne SPORTS!"

"DEEEEEP!  OVERTHEWALLINLEFFFIELD!!!"

I loved that dude.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

George Michael Sports Machine

I miss a sports broadcasting rights world where a show like that could exist.

I don't miss the concussion highlights though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

45 minutes ago, IceCap said:

I miss the orange NHL logo.

7 minutes ago, TrueYankee26 said:

You know what? I feel the same, the new NHL shield is outdated, the orange one looks more timeless. At least the NFL and NBA logos are nice modernizations.

The newer NHL shield was a pathetic rebrand while the league tried desperately to rebuild its image after the lockout.  Unfortunately in some ways they were ahead of the curve, as the NFL did the same cowardly sterilization of their branding a few years later.  Thankfully the NHL had the good sense to let the Winter Classic/All Star Game logos continue to be unique and colorful.

The orange NHL logo was unique among all of the Big Four, as it was somewhat industrial and businesslike in comparison to the red/white/blue of its kindred organizations.  Now it's this dated steel mess with useless serifs and devoid of character.  It's not even dated in the fun chrome WWF way. 

64223e714dc30c8347d340d14cdbe458.jpg

There are reasonable arguments for the now-nearly-15-year-old NHL rebrand looks better, resembles the Stanley Cup, etc, but meh.  I want the old one back.

• Like 5
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Multiple NBA teams’ intros featuring “Sirius” during the 90’s:

It’s widely known as the Bulls’ classic intro song, but other teams in the 90’s used it as well (including the Suns, Bucks, Rockets, and Jazz). It’s such a theme of the 90’s NBA in my head, especially the playoffs.

Other things:

- Keith Jackson or Brent Musberger calling Rose Bowls. Fowler is good, but Jackson and later Musberger just “fit” the Rose Bowl to me.

- EA’s MVP Baseball

- EA’s NCAA Football

- The Tostitos Fiesta Bowl 

- Of course, the Seattle Supersonics

• Like 4

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

NHL rinks are too standard now.  The same old everywhere now.  Always a big team logo in the centre of the ice.  I miss when centre ice used to to vary more at different arenas.  Like how the Oilers had the Northlands Coliseum logo at centre ice and their team logos outside the centre ice circle.

Always yellow kickplates on the boards now.  I miss when some rinks had the blue kickplates.

spacer.png

With the CFL, everyone has yellow goalposts now (except Calgary).  Miss when many teams used to have goalposts that matched their team colours.  Like the green and white goalpost at Taylor Field in the 1980s.

I also miss seeing Rough Riders vs. Roughriders.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Wade Heidt said:

Always a big team logo in the centre of the ice.  I miss when centre ice used to to vary more at different arenas.  Like how the Oilers had the Northlands Coliseum logo at centre ice and their team logos outside the centre ice circle.

So I barely remember this, but I do miss it; the unique leaf design the Maple Leafs would use at centre ice. 

I liked the double logos at centre ice. Did not know about the blue dashers, but I do like that variety.

Orange NHL was dated in the same way that Dodger Stadium is. Yes it's dated, and yes you know it but that's the charm of it. Unlike the new one.

• Like 3

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

mKky5eG.jpg

HO7HAok.jpg

Clear Boards in the St Paul Civic Center. The arena hosted the Minnesota Fighting Saints of the WHA and the MN Boys State Hockey Tourney. The seats were arranged in a circle, leaving those sitting near center ice a good distance from the rink. The solution; clear boards. They were replaced by regular boards when the Minnesota Moose of the IHL moved in. The arena was torn down to make way for the Xcel Energy Center.

When I could pee in a 32oz souvenir cup in the concourse in the Vet because the lines were either too long or the pipes were frozen.  That kind of behavior seems to be frowned upon now.

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."