Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

June 15, 2020 - 16:03 PM

SportsLogos.Net has learned that the Toronto Raptors will be getting rid of their current uniform set and will tweak their primary logo following the 2019-20 NBA season. This information has been confirmed to us by multiple reliable sources. While the […]

Read More...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The chevron style is ok...but only red/white makes it look like an Olympic bobsled team. 

And the article says the chances of purple coming back are low, but it seems like that'd just be free cash to the team. Purple/red/black is far better than red/white. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I like that they're truly owning the chevron look. Let's just hope it says "Raptors" and "Toronto" only, none of this "North" nonsense.

Oh, who am I kidding? We'll be lucky if only the alternates have North on them.

ExJworW.png

I really liked the Earned edition, so IMO this is a good move. Red, white and a hint of silver is less generic than being the NBA’s fourth red/black team, and owning the chevron can become something like their version of the Sonics arch. Pretty impressive that the chevrons have survived in some form for five different primary uniforms (purple/black, red recolor, original Drake update, revised Nike Drake update, and this). Wonder if we’ll see a chevron  alt logo like their 2K team uses. I just really hope that it won’t have North on  the front, in a few years with Toronto on the front of the Earned template hopefully there will be a Mandela effect and we’ll forget what was the wordmark on their uniform when they won their championship 

07Giants.pngnyy.png

So a uni tweak and not a rebrand. Seems smart, a team like the Raptors can do this. They have a lot of directions they can go in that I'd prefer -- I like the red/white chevron look, I'd also like the return of purple in some capacity, I'd also like the addition of gold to largely replace white as a tertiary color. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

34 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The current uniforms have always been awful, but I don't get why they refuse to bring back purple. At this point, it's becoming the NBA equivalent of when the Padres kept ignoring the demand for brown. They're just turning down free money.

They sell lots or purple merchandise, whether it be throwbacks or purple incorporated with the new logo. So I'm not sure they're turning down free money, seem like they have the best of both worlds right now. 

12 minutes ago, uniguy22 said:

They sell lots or purple merchandise, whether it be throwbacks or purple incorporated with the new logo. So I'm not sure they're turning down free money, seem like they have the best of both worlds right now. 

Any examples of this purple incorporated with the new logo?

Seems like adding purple might entice people with dinosaur throwbacks to get a modern era uni. 

49 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The current uniforms have always been awful, but I don't get why they refuse to bring back purple. At this point, it's becoming the NBA equivalent of when the Padres kept ignoring the demand for brown. They're just turning down free money.

They continue to wear the 90s throwbacks.

As for why they don't wear purple full time? They won the NBA Championship as a red and white team.

55 minutes ago, Digby said:

So a uni tweak and not a rebrand. Seems smart, a team like the Raptors can do this. They have a lot of directions they can go in that I'd prefer -- I like the red/white chevron look, I'd also like the return of purple in some capacity, I'd also like the addition of gold to largely replace white as a tertiary color. 

Not perfect, obvs, but here's what gold could do to purple, red, and black (though it still has white)...pretty nice color combo. 

200200011107_Front.jpg?v=1570462081

Always thought the Raptors would do better as red and white than as red/black/gray. The chevron is neat and unique and as long as the "association" and "icon" don't read NORTH I'll be happy with the update. Maybe we'll see a purple City instead of gold this time, who knows. I've always thought that a single color and white make for a slick scheme, no matter what primary color is used. 

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, uniguy22 said:

This is right. It's easy for us, as enthusiasts of sports laundry, to prefer simplicity and exclusivity in a team's color scheme and historical lineage. It seems logical, for example, for the Raptors to own purple and red in the NBA because of its own ties to those colors. But I think it's pretty clear that front offices tend to view this as leaving revenue on the table. My guess is there's an assumption that fans who desire throwbacks will also likely buy anything that's new, giving the organizations two bites from the same apple.

I'd assume that's why it took so long for the Brewers and Padres to acquiesce to a full-time re-embrace of the ball-in-glove and brown/gold. 

That's just the analysis from my armchair, though. 

20 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This is right. It's easy for us, as enthusiasts of sports laundry, to prefer simplicity and exclusivity in a team's color scheme and historical lineage. It seems logical, for example, for the Raptors to own purple and red in the NBA because of its own ties to those colors. But I think it's pretty clear that front offices tend to view this as leaving revenue on the table. My guess is there's an assumption that fans who desire throwbacks will also likely buy anything that's new, giving them the organizations two bites from the same apple.

I'd assume that's why it took so long for the Brewers and Padres to acquiesce to a full-time re-embrace of the ball-in-glove and brown/gold. 

That's just the analysis from my armchair, though. 

I agree, I think plenty of teams try to get as much revenue from throwback looks as they can before the current look becomes stale and they decide to embrace the throwback look full-time. That said, I do think the Raptors could get away with using both purple and red and also double-dipping into the throwback money because of the differences in style between the 90s look and the modern look.

the user formerly known as cdclt

An updated version of this uniform bringing back the purple would be the best option. Hopefully go a step further and get rid of the wishbone collar for the classic round neck design. It would give them a unique look over the already redundant Red/White/Black color scheme that nearly every team with red uniforms has.

spacer.png

Archived