Raptors Getting New Uniforms, Tweaking Logo in 2021

The whole Drake/OVO set was never a particularly good look, IMO. I liked the one they had before that a lot better.

Demar Derozan Toronto Raptors v Los Angeles Lakers

It's probably unrealistic for that to come back, but I hope it's something more based on that than the Drake look.

Edit: Reading the article, an identity based on the Chevron jersey would be horrific.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Red and white would be fine by me... or even red and gold or red, white, and gold. If the Raptors are going to be Canada's team, I think they should have fairly simplistic or traditional colors, an identity that emphasizes Toronto/Canada more than dinosaurs. The claw ball is fine; I actually really like it and it still shows imagery associated with the Raptors name. Biggest change for me though, would be to change the font; never liked it.

2 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The Cavs won the championship in ugly sleeved jerseys and nobody's clamoring for that look to come back.

A red and white basketball jersey is not a black t-shirt. 

1 hour ago, KevinJohnsonThaTruth said:

An updated version of this uniform

What do I want the Toronto Raptors to look like...

The time their star player missed a shot in the final second of a second round loss to Philadelphia?

or

The time their star player hit a shot on the final second of their second round win over Philadelphia on their way to a Championship? 

I don’t know what to think of the Raptors in terms of what their uniforms should look like, partly because I don’t think they’ve ever had a truly great look in thier whole history.

The inaugural look was fun and nostalgic, but far too cartoony and pajama-ish to be timeless and work for long enough. The Vince-era was okay, but didn’t need the butt panel (?) and certainly didn’t need the contrasting back on the road. The red and black versions of those fixed the contrasting backs, but kept the butt panel and sucked a whole lot of life out of it by dropping purple. The championship set, while really not being that bare or over-simplified, still looked like really bland and lifeless imitations of the sets preceding it and have never inspired me visually, championship or not. And finally, the apparent news of the chevron fronts going full-time is just another disappointment; any wordmark you try to fit in that shape - “NORTH”, “TORONTO”, or “RAPTORS” - looks so forced and jacked-up, and the chevron front doesn’t seem so special to me when it merely looks like Toronto’s red-and-white answer to the Sonics’ jerseys (yes I know Seattle didn’t use a chevron, but text-in-a-filled-arch of some kind will always get me thinking of them). I don’t see the Raptors’ chevron front and think “oh, how unique/cool”, I truly just think “eh, the Sonics did it better”. 

To be clear, I think Toronto’s had good colors and brand elements scattered throughout thier history, but in my opinion they’ve really struggled to roll out a truly great uniform for some reason. There’s either enough wrong with it to pull it down despite good elements, or a whole lot wrong altogether.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I like purple but I feel like it should be kept as alternates. That's what makes them feel special to me I don't wanna see them full time then it loses its specialty (unpopular opinion Ik). And I feel like if there's a team that should be red and white it's the raptors because of the Canadian flag colors. 

I'm totally down for a full time chevron look. It's a clean and sleek look. But it's not boring. And I feel like it's about time another team uses some sort of design in the front of their jerseys. I believe the warriors and blazers might be the only team who has some sort of "design element" on their jerseys if that makes any sense. (And I guess the hawks count too)

IMG-7122.gif

I'd prefer black and gold (with some silver) or blue and white: Drake colors or Toronto colors. Red and white just isn't doin' it for me.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Any examples of this purple incorporated with the new logo?

Seems like adding purple might entice people with dinosaur throwbacks to get a modern era uni. 

I've feel like I've seen more items like this (https://47brand.ca/products/toronto-raptors-flash-forward-47-captain-black-and-purple) but thinking about it more I may just be thinking of "new" throwback items like this (https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/fan-shop/nba/toronto-raptors/product/toronto-raptors-mitchell-and-ness-mens-gold-dribble-hoodie-bla-333004922.html#333004922=333004922_01). 

Bottom line though, they sell so much merchandise with both the current set and throwback that I still believe not going back to purple isn't leaving any money on the table. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing purple used just as an accent colour, but never touching red. The purple and red just clash when they touch.

This does not look good. 

spacer.png

It seems to me that the bigger issue here is that the Raptors seem to be living with a name it no longer wants. It feels as if this club has embraced  its name like an unhappy marriage, locked into a commitment that’s no longer exciting, but is unwilling to do anything about it. With the last few designs, it was as if the organization was designing around the name.  You could put any word on those jerseys and it tells the same story it does now. Replace the claw with a maple leaf, call them the Northmen and get it over with already.

31 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

Replace the claw with a maple leaf, call them the Northmen and get it over with already.

If they didn't replace it with Huskies back when they were strongly considering a rebrand out of Raptors, they definitely aren't replacing it now that it's associated with the championship title and it's become a country-wide icon.

If anything, I almost wonder if they might begin leaning into the dinosaur imagery again and introduce a new raptor logo that's less cartoony than the 90's one and more realistic. The name "Toronto Raptors" now has brand equity that any replacement name would not have, so I see not a single scenario where they rebrand the name.

Plus, "Northmen" is a really uninspired name in comparison. "They're the Northmen! Get it? 'Cuz Canada's north of the US?" It'd be like calling them the "Toronto Canadians".

21 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

If anything, I almost wonder if they might begin leaning into the dinosaur imagery again and introduce a new raptor logo that's less cartoony than the 90's one and more realistic.

Yeah, because nothing says “raptor” like a chevron.

Even if the dinosaur aesthetic gets relegated to the Hardwood Classics collection, why would that go away? They may become one of those anachronistic teams where the team nickname doesn't really fit anymore, but so what. There's now equity in the name, regardless.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

40 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

If they didn't replace it with Huskies back when they were strongly considering a rebrand out of Raptors, they definitely aren't replacing it now that it's associated with 

Plus, "Northmen" is a really uninspired name in comparison. "They're the Northmen! Get it? 'Cuz Canada's north of the US?" It'd be like calling them the "Toronto Canadians".

That name would be ridiculed to death since Minneapolis and Portland are "north" of Toronto.

I saw, I came, I left.

5 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

I would like to see "Toronto" on the road uniforms and change the shorts design. The asymmetric design with the 

T

🏀

should be replaced.

The team's reach extends far beyond the city of Toronto, so I'm sure they'll stick to RAPTORS on both sets.

I've always felt like they should bring the Carter era jerseys back. They were unique. The only difference would be purple and red on the front (I would like to see the chevron stay) but gold and black on the back. Would address all issues.

Archived