Los Angeles 2028 Olympics/Paralympics Logos

LMU

Hmm. I totally get (and really like) what they’re trying to do and why they’re doing it, but from a strictly design standpoint, I don’t think this is the best way to go. Having what’s going to amount to dozens (if not more) of different logos is really a bit much. And frankly, none of the ones I see are good. 

What I think they could have done to achieve the same goal is to create one logo that could easily be single-color, then have these different designers/olympians/celebrities design and contribute to tons of different backgrounds and assets with which that simple logo could be placed upon. Murals, patterns, photography, painting, ink sketches, animation, whatever; they could go crazy with as many LA backgrounds and assets as they wished, and swap them in and out for digital use while the logo remained the same. I think it would’ve actually been more colorful, diverse, fun and evocative of LA that way. I just don’t think this strategy of infinite (bad) logos was the way to do it.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

It's an interesting design philosophy. If you're looking to spread a message about diversity, than it's something that does it well. But I can't help but feel that this is more of a vanity art project than an actual logo. 

It's also fairly interesting that they introduced the logo this early. Technically, we are not even in the 2028 cycle yet. It will be interesting to see how well this ages in 8 years. That is my most serious concern.

I do also prefer the candidate bid logo over this one, probably because it was a single logo that fit the city well. Paris was also great with their as well. Come back to me in 8 years. Maybe my mind will change.

Oh, and Chris is going to have fun keeping with the designs for this logo!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Vanity art project is exactly how I would define it. Making a bland  logo so that a mire varied icon Can take center stage can work for a local fair or something where everyone already recognizes what it’s about. The Olympics in LA are a once in a generation event that will be seen worldwide. I don’t think the LA is appropriate here, while it’s obviously instantly recognizable in the US it is not how most people in the rest of the world (especially non English speaking, since the smooth pronunciation isn’t there) calls Los Angeles. It does not feel appropriate for an event like the Olympics. As it often happens the bid logo is superior

07Giants.pngnyy.png

9 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

It's an interesting design philosophy. If you're looking to spread a message about diversity, than it's something that does it well. But I can't help but feel that this is more of a vanity art project than an actual logo. 

It's also fairly interesting that they introduced the logo this early. Technically, we are not even in the 2028 cycle yet. It will be interesting to see how well this ages in 8 years. That is my most serious concern.

I do also prefer the candidate bid logo over this one, probably because it was a single logo that fit the city well. Paris was also great with their as well. Come back to me in 8 years. Maybe my mind will change.

Oh, and Chris is going to have fun keeping with the designs for this logo!

This probably isn't even the final LA28 logo. London's Olympics logos prior to the final one used a lot more British symbolism before settling on the jig saw shapes final logo.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The idea to have various designs from a variety of artists is cool to me. The execution of the overall branding doesn't wow me though. Why is the "A" the highlighted part? Also, why is the 2 in block while the L and 8 seem to match fonts? The point about LA v Los Angeles is also fair, especially in an international setting.

We'll see how the rest goes, but at the very least I think it makes for a really good corner bug.

Another thing that’s bothering me the more I look at these is that some of the A’s are a bit more abstract and don’t quickly read as A’s, and some are kind of a stretch altogether (like the downward facing jaguar head). You’re kind of left playing catch-up trying to make sense of the logos rather than instantly recognizing them - sometimes even reading it as “L...something...28” - and it’s not a good corner they’ve backed themselves into, considering the international audience.

While London 2012 employed a lot of variety and diversity in color/pattern logo fill options (and say what you will about the logo itself), the logo still at least kept the same shape and form in every single application, allowing for it to still be quickly recognized. LA 28, with its consistently varied (and sometimes confusing) form, isn’t achieving that here.

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

Really hoping this thing evolves into something more fitting for the event within eight years.  The candidate logo was definitely better--totally agree there.  Beyond what colinturner95 pointed out earlier, is it possible that even the L is a different font than either the two or the eight with its rounded corners?

The one, redeeming thing I saw in this was what's called the "retro stripe" version that at least pays homage to the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics logo.

spacer.png

58 minutes ago, shark said:

Really hoping this thing evolves into something more fitting for the event within eight years.  The candidate logo was definitely better--totally agree there.  Beyond what colinturner95 pointed out earlier, is it possible that even the L is a different font than either the two or the eight with its rounded corners?

The one, redeeming thing I saw in this was what's called the "retro stripe" version that at least pays homage to the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics logo.

spacer.png

I'm digging this one! Love the retro vibe!

Looking at more of the branding, it seems these versions might end up being (or are) the primary versions of each logo (the one on the left has been included in merchandise seen on Instagram and is the one featured on Wikipedia)

LA 2028 Reveals Olympics First Dynamic Games Logo With Diverse 'A' |  GamesBids.com

I can live with these. The Olympic one I think does fit the vibe of LA fairly well

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

10 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

I'm digging this one! Love the retro vibe!

Looking at more of the branding, it seems these versions might end up being (or are) the primary versions of each logo (the one on the left has been included in merchandise seen on Instagram and is the one featured on Wikipedia)

LA 2028 Reveals Olympics First Dynamic Games Logo With Diverse 'A' |  GamesBids.com

I can live with these. The Olympic one I think does fit the vibe of LA fairly well

I love the old school 1984 'A'. Growing up we had one of those 80s style trucker hats with the LA 1984 logo. I loved it. 

Now to the others...the one on the right is passable but the one on the left, the 'A' looks so out of place.

Twenty-Six Logos Unveiled for 2028 LA Olympics, Paralympics

September 3, 2020 - 18:53 PM

There will be twenty-six, yes twenty-six, different primary logos for the 2028 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games in Los Angeles. I mean, at this point just add two more so you could match the year. But why, oh why would they release 26 different logos for the games? Because “no

Read More...

Archived