Calgary Flames Go “Full Retro” with New Uniforms for 2021

Iron Lion

Calgary Flames Go “Full Retro” with New Uniforms for 2021

October 5, 2020 - 17:40 PM

As the Golden Knights go gold, the rest of the National Hockey League is going old… but that’s okay! Because the old we’ve been getting here is, in most cases, absolutely glorious. The Calgary Flames joined the retro parade for the 2020-21 NHL season today by unveiling their new, full-time,

Read More...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, these jerseys are just incredible;

spacer.png

The retros are nice, but these are my definitive Flames jerseys.

Maybe the Flames don't share your aesthetic taste.

Maybe that's a good thing.

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It's official - retro home and away. 

Canadian hype videos are astoundingly charming compared to American ones. 😂

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

12 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

What, you don't like manic flashes of color and loads of effects with only short glimpses of the jersey? 😜 

“Rent some strobe lights, buy a generic open source beat, and find a studio that looks like either a 19th-century saloon wall or the set of Alien. We have a photo shoot.”

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, these jerseys are just incredible;

spacer.png

The retros are nice, but these are my definitive Flames jerseys.

These look fine in a vacuum, but all that black throws the colour balance way off on the set. At home black was the 2nd most prominent colour, but on the road jerseys it was fighting with yellow to be the tertiary colour. It also made the black pants look very out of place on the road.

The throwbacks have a proper colour balance. The hierarchy at home is red-white-yellow, and on the road it's white-red-yellow.

5 minutes ago, kw11333 said:

Unlike Vancouver, where fans more or less prefer the throwbacks, Flames games have nearly everyone wearing the Black C jerseys

Let's please not let this thread devolve into incoherent screeching about the Canucks yet again.

The Canucks don't need to touch their stuff again, can we please move on from them already? There's plenty of other teams we could talk over endlessly instead of digging up and beating the rotting corpse of that particular horse again.

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

The Canucks don't need to touch their stuff again, can we please move on from them already? There's plenty of other teams we could talk over endlessly instead of digging up and beating the rotting corpse of that particular horse again.

Canucks logo talk will never ever go away until the corporately-inspired Orca is harpooned. Any other Canucks hockey crest in blue and green will do and that includes a recoloured Skate.

As for the Flames, they, officially, have a Top 10 NHL uniform. Extremely happy for all Flames fans.

On the ice, the Flames & my Canucks are Western Canadian rivals. Off the ice, we as fans of both teams are friends & hockey fans. Congratulations to ALL Flames fans on the long overdue and full-time return of your classic uniforms. They're beautiful. NHL Top 10.

🔥🔴⚪🟡🔥😃👍

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I still think some thin black lines between yellow and white would have been okay. It really helps the primary most of all.

That's my view too. It would really help the contrast.

The 2006-07 set with the 2013-16 alternate shoulder patch would be an amazing look.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I never liked that shoulder patch. Too much black, too clever by half. The Flames don't really need secondary logos; the Flaming C is one of the few that can carry the load by itself. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

14 minutes ago, VancouverFan69 said:

On the ice, the Flames & my Canucks are Western Canadian rivals. Off the ice, we as fans of both teams are friends & hockey fans. Congratulations to ALL Flames fans on the long overdue and full-time return of your classic uniforms. They're beautiful. NHL Top 10.

🔥🔴⚪🟡🔥😃👍

One of the things I enjoy most about Canucks-Flames games is the contrast between the red and yellow hot colours and the blue and green cool colours. With the return of the throwbacks I cant think of any matchup in sports that does that better.

Archived